What's new

What are the LEAST favorite soap scents you've tried?

Sandalwood

And Stirling Sheep - I can smell the animal in it.
It's true, you really can smell the animal in it. I bought a sample of it some time back and used it twice.
It really did provide a great shave, but I felt like I was at the local livestock auction barn and had to ditch it.
Electric Sheep on the other hand, I love...as polarizing as it is to some folks I just really enjoy it.

B+M Le Grand Chyphre (Learned peach aint my thing)
Pre de Provence No.63 (too much musk for me)
Fine Italian Citrus (lemon joy dish soap to my nose)
Proraso Red (learned sandalwood aint my thing)

I am a fan of all of the weird and polarizing scents (Tabac, Arko, The Veg). I, too, find M&M Eigengrau to be a masterpiece. So glad I picked up the soap and splash at clearance price last year.

The hardest scent for me so far has been Nocturne (Zingari Man/B&M). I picked it up on sale, and thought it a safe bet. The label indicates "apple, leaves, woodsmoke." Off the puck I get a heavy dose of yeast, musty cheese, and woodsmoke. Lathering it up releases a very faint apple smell.

Last year, I committed to kill the tub as a fall scent. I made it as far as having a faint hole in the middle. I recently took it up again to make it my fall-themed scent. I have actually grown to like the scent, and look forward to it. It is especially delightful when paired with Stirling Waves of Grain aftershave; it complements the Nocturne beautifully.

Waves of Grain, another sale purchase, is truly wonderful and is now my favorite scent, and it should not be one of the polarizing scents.

Midnight Stag, by Chisled Face. My wife bought me a sample as a gag. Wow. Somebody likes it, they keep making it. But, seriously. Truly rank. I don't like a lot of scents, but I don't mind Arko. I don't like Tabac. But Midnight Stag is a whole new level. Also War by Barrister and Mann was an abomination.

Midnight Stag, by Chisled Face. My wife bought me a sample as a gag. Wow. Somebody likes it, they keep making it. But, seriously. Truly rank. I don't like a lot of scents, but I don't mind Arko. I don't like Tabac. But Midnight Stag is a whole new level. Also War by Barrister and Mann was an abomination.
I've read elsewhere it's been known as Midnight Hag...that's saying something. 🤮

I don't admire Arko and Dr Selby. These are heavy off-putting industrial cleaner type scents.

I'm not a huge tobacco or bay rum fan.

The absolute worst thing i've smelled is B&M War. My most regretful sample purchase by a wide margin.

I like every Mike's scent except this one. It smells like bug spray to me.
LOL, Mike's owes you a sales commission. I just look delivery of the best smelling bug spray, ever!! When you made that comment I had to go to Mike's and order Lemongrass and Eucalyptus just to see what a good smelling bug spray was like. Actually, what I got from my initial sniff was straight up lemongrass.

I ended up with a sample of Razor Emporium Element 47 and I was not a fan, but my wife said it almost made her throw up, so she would vote for that

Over Boiled Cabbage And Stale Spilt Lager by a small artisan company called Humm Wee.

They called it "8 am Kitchen - The Morning After"

Crappy PAA style labelling, over-priced.

They pushed the flight envelope of offensive smelling soaps and they crashed and burned.

Obviously I just made all that up, but it makes you think.

Last edited:
And Stirling Sheep - I can smell the animal in it.

You sure can. Smells like it is made from sheep fat. Which is precisely the case.

As luck would have it, a short time ago I wrote fan-mail to the owner of Stirling praising him for having the courage to release a soap formula that authentically smells of its pure ingredients, unmasked by fragrances, for those of us (few?) who enjoy that sort of thing. It has to be "polarizing," with me in the minority camp (I'm afraid).

There is no denying it carries the aroma of sheep fat. I asked them to promise that they will never stop making it. LOL

Bill (who also enjoys the smell of fine leather, a new boar brush, and meat roasting on the grill)

Top Bottom