What's new

What are the benefits of bowl lathering?

Bowl lathering is the easiest learning technique. Palm next, face lathering last. If you’ve got it dialed in, stick with it.

I’m solar powered and heat activated. I don’t like cold much at all. I liked scuttles and warm lather on cold days. I don’t like cold shaves on cold days. The second pass face lathering tended to be cool to cold with a boar brush. Badgers hold heat the best of all the brushes I’ve tried. I found a brush scuttle that warms the brush soak and will keep a lathered brush warm enough for me between passes. And I no longer have to live where water just lays around on the ground in a solid state.

Bristles laying in the top cup with no soap in the cup keeps it plenty warm enough between passes.

View attachment 1843890

No exaggeration, that's the coolest scuttle I've ever seen. By a longshot.

Very interesting array of responses here.

Thank you all for the input so far!

The overwhelming response from the pro bowl crowd seems to be about lather consistency here which I guess is not something I've really considered. Also the brush irritation , but that makes perfect sense.

I think I could see potentially trying a bowl for a more leisurely shave, maybe on a weekend when I can take my time but probably not early in the morning before work every day.

I feel like I do get a fairly consistent lather at this point a few months in. I have tried 3 different hard soaps so far and have mainly been using Stirling unscented beeswax for the last month, which I find gives me the easiest lather of the 3. But I could see for those of you with more of a soap collection that using a bowl could help you see/feel the consistency more and this adjust more seamlessly between soaps.

Fun discussion, keep the comments coming gents!🥳
Mostly for the pleasure of a warm lather from a warm scuttle...

I preferred face lathering when I started. I could feel it and see the consistency on my face, which was helpful to me. Right now I’m trying to get into bowl lathering as I’m using water thirsty soaps and I’m loving the uggs lather that’s getting made. Also, it’s a nice new challenge that I’m looking forward to getting right.

B

bmiller3230

Bowl lathering is the easiest learning technique. Palm next, face lathering last. If you’ve got it dialed in, stick with it.

I’m solar powered and heat activated. I don’t like cold much at all. I liked scuttles and warm lather on cold days. I don’t like cold shaves on cold days. The second pass face lathering tended to be cool to cold with a boar brush. Badgers hold heat the best of all the brushes I’ve tried. I found a brush scuttle that warms the brush soak and will keep a lathered brush warm enough for me between passes. And I no longer have to live where water just lays around on the ground in a solid state.

Bristles laying in the top cup with no soap in the cup keeps it plenty warm enough between passes.

View attachment 1843890

I have that brush and a Razorock that is very similar. Love them both

B

bmiller3230

The benefit of bowl lathering is consistency and repeatability, and hot lather if you use a scuttle instead of a bowl...

The benefit of bowl lathering is consistency and repeatability, and hot lather if you use a scuttle instead of a bowl...
You can have hot/warm lather with a bowl, if it is deep enough to set in a sink of hot water. ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Ok ok, you bowl nerds are making some strong arguments here 😁.

I guess a hot lather could be nice... But I generally prefer cold or lukewarm water shaves.

I think all the comments about precision and consistency are what really confused me.
Maybe I'm just some kind of face lather savant 🤷‍♂️ lol but I have never noticed any inconsistency in the wetness or texture of my lather.
At first I wasn't adding quite enough water for a particular soap but quickly figured out that more wet is more good. I can lather up to a whipped cream consistency in maximum 2 minutes for my whole face and neck without issue, and my brush holds enough residual lather for probably 5 passes, even though I never go past 3 passes and a touch up max.

So my conclusion of all this is that, using a bowl is a choice for most, and a must for those that are sensitive to brush burn.

I might give it a try with just a regular kitchen bowl at some point, for science if nothing else :p

I preferred face lathering when I started. I could feel it and see the consistency on my face, which was helpful to me. Right now I’m trying to get into bowl lathering as I’m using water thirsty soaps and I’m loving the uggs lather that’s getting made. Also, it’s a nice new challenge that I’m looking forward to getting right.
I should have noted. I kinda suck at bowl lathering and I’m making some crappy lather.

Nothing better than options! Whatever you want...or works for you. It been said... Nor am I going to sell you what works for me. Enjoy it.. BFX

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    15 KB · Views: 9
Started with bowls, it seemed kinda cool, a novelty.

I quickly learned that face lathering was quicker, with less stuff to clean up afterwards.

Another bonus for me was more time with the lather on my face, which I assume means better hydration of my whiskers. Before (with the bowl) it was paint and shave, which I'll admit, also seemed worked just fine.

Lastly, lather is only soap and water mixed together, which is always slick and slippery enough for me to shave...so I've never struggled with consistency of lather.

I gave away my Captain's Choice copper bowl and never looked back.

Learning to make a lather seems better with a bowl since I can see how the brush, water, and soap combo can be varied while witnessing the results. I also find that different soaps need different ratios of water, soap… Yes, it can take longer but wet shaving to me has become more about the experience, so I am in no rush. Once I get the lather right, I can take all the time I want to apply it and give myself a nice facial massage. Bottom line, for me, I prefer whipping up my lather in my bowl - its part of the fun

So I tried bowl lathering the other day for the first time and it's clear that I know nothing about this technique 😂. I just had a little glass soap dish that I used, maybe glass isn't the best material for this, as I found my chunk of soap (Stirling unscented) kept slipping around or falling out. Eventually got some lather building but it was full of air bubbles and still seemed much thinner and runnier than I'm used to, even though I probably spent a good 5 minutes trying to agitate it in the bowl. I was trying to do hot lather as well, but by the time I was done with the bowl it was luke warm at best. Even painting it on my face it still felt too thin, so I ended up face lathering anyway 😂. I think this just sums up the experience for me, more work for less payoff, I will stick with my face lather, instead of a bowl I'll try a shaving stick next. Thank you all for your input, no shade to the bowl boys, I think I have a better understanding of what people like about it even though it's not for me.

This was a fun Learning experience, happy shaving everyone!

I got a tub of Proraso green and found I got a dry foam and it was a bit messy and spilled over the side. I just couldn't get the amount of moisture I needed. I switched back to my plastic aliexpress bowl and wallah. I could add a few drops if needed and get a good wet shave. Well not wet, just more moisture than trying to get the right amount with the tub.

The Proraso is great stuff and I went through a tube of it with my bowl and no problems. The tub kind just doesn't work for me.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I got a tub of Proraso green and found I got a dry foam and it was a bit messy and spilled over the side. I just couldn't get the amount of moisture I needed. I switched back to my plastic aliexpress bowl and wallah. I could add a few drops if needed and get a good wet shave. Well not wet, just more moisture than trying to get the right amount with the tub.

The Proraso is great stuff and I went through a tube of it with my bowl and no problems. The tub kind just doesn't work for me.
I do not believe it is the correct method to build lather on top of any soap in the bowl in which it is sold. Otherwise you are constantly adding more soap and can never get the soap to water ratio correct, and are wasting soap in the process. I suggest it is intended that you simply load your brush, or possibly scoop soap, from the original bowl and then face lather or switch to a lathering bowl. Of course, do whatever works for you 👍

If you try to build lather in the original container, you'll probably end up with a mess.
If it is a hard puke, I bloom it first, then after shaking most of the water out, I load the brush fairly heavily, and then build the lather in a bowl.
But I agree with @EclipseRedRing, if the method you choose works for you, whatever it is, go for it! 😊

I face lathered for years but recently switched to a bowl when I went from hard pucks to softer tallow soaps. Bowl lathering has made a huge difference in the quality of the lather and in my shaves. Plus, I make more than enough lather for three passes. It doesn't take noticeably more time than face lathering, for me.

Top Bottom