What's new

What are DE Razors Made of?

So I have a collection of DE ranging from '47-'67 and decided to take a magnet to each one to try and see what they're made of( magnetic or not). All heads were magnetic, but only one handle('57) was. Does magnetic = steel and non-magnetic mean aluminum or is there more to it?

Yes, all vintage Gilette( except for a EJ 89l, which is all non-magnetic). Correction, heads were magnetic because of blades them(duh)....pulled all blades out,,, none were magnetic, except the '57 ( black tip) which head and handle were magnetic.

Ok, so when someone says a razor has aluminum handle, how do they know?

A magnet also attracts nickel.
Nickel plating of razors is often thick enough that a magnet can stick a bit to it, but this is also true for the handles, not only the heads. When there is a blade in the razor a magnet sticks very well to the head. I am not aware of steel DE razor heads of the period you are mentioning.

Edit: crossed posts because I was walking away before hitting the submit button...

Last edited:
View attachment 364217
I am not aware of steel DE razor heads of the period you are mentioning.
$Picture 289.jpg

well, the one that's all magnetic is clearly marked 'X 4', so it's a '52 black tip. I was told the '57 blue tip has a aluminum handle. Btw, that black handled one is stamped 'N 3' , so that's '68,,,the "Gillette Date Guide" says black handles came out in '69 ('O').

Top Bottom