What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

Northeastern Illinois, Suburbia-Residential lot just blocks from a highway:
Snowy Owl
Coyotes
Red Fox
Deer, with evidence of deer bedding under a Maple on the front lawn in the fall.
Great Horned Owl - regularly fed mice and other rodents caught around perimeter of my structure.
Bats circling under/between the tree canopy in the back yard-one night I held my hand up and one dove straight at it and veered off when about three feet away.
Great Blue Heron on lawn and stealing neighbors pond fish. It is what I think landed on the side rail of a cot I was resting on one summer late night on the patio, right next to my left leg. I had my head fully covered with a blanket, half asleep. I didn't want to remove it to look, but instead, see how long it would stay there if I remained motionless. Its wingbeats and the rocking of the cot woke me. After a few seconds, it lifted and landed on the opposite side, and sat a few seconds more while I debated moving the covers. It then took off. Wing beats so loud and slow, and the rocking of the cot were so much, I highly doubted it would be the resident Owl (they fly soundlessly), or the Cooper’s, (too small for the commotion), or one of the Redtails or Perigrins we see regularly here.

Palm Coast FL
An oft seen and suspected escaped or released primate from the area ran across the road in front of my truck one night.
I was pretty sure it was a large cat that crossed the road in front of me another time. I imagined a black Panther as others in the area had reported seeing the same. I know others say they aren’t living there....none the less, twas a large black cat.
Gator in a parking at a gun store and along greenway trail I biked. Wild Turkeys at the fire dept. Feral Hog damage along the greenway.
Whales spouting and Dolphins offshore
Swallow-Tail Kites were in the neighborhood and would follow mowing crews, circling the lots being maintained, eating the bugs stirred up by the equipment.

Wisconsin, Driftless region, and near Superior:
Bald Eagles

Do you know if they still have a herd of bison on the Fermilab (particle accelerator) property, near Batavia?

I imagine so. Last I was there was more than ten years ago, though. I also hauled precast tunnel,sections to Fermi-Lab, for what I suppose was the building of Tevatron, (circa ‘81?). We saw a Bison at a park site along the canal on the way home from Starved Rock....it came up to the fence as I was grabbing a photo, and licked my wife through the fence, lol.
Oh, we also swam with stingrays in Grand Cayman, and saw much sea life during dives there and on little Cayman.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
While working on the holiday decorations last night, a coyote ran right past me.

I wish these cat-eaters were rare, but they are not. Having one pass a few feet away at full run has never happened to me!

Though I despise these pet-killers, the experience was powerful. There was NOT a thundering of feet, just a hissing woossh ... like an ballista bolt that misses. Gray, brown, black fur; maybe the size of a shepard .... so fast. Now I understand how fleet, alert cats wind up dead. This ghost in the darkness was a force of nature; I'll give it that.

But I think of the pain caused when a beloved cat disappears forever, and I do wish I could have had the reactions to have shot it. And I recognize how ridiculously impossible that seems; the coyote is the real hunter, not me.

AA

Bald Eagle. Up until about a year ago I had never seen one in the wild. Last winter a coworker and I were getting parts from the back warehouse at work. We were standing outside talking and two of them flew right over our heads. They were low enough we could clearly see the white head and tail. Then a month or two ago we pulled up to the shop and in the trees in the old junk yard next to us was a huge bird. I said that looks like a huge buzzard over there. He said I think that's an eagle, we couldn't make out any colors due to the the overcast day and the sun was behind the bird. We got out of the truck and walked a little closer, it turned and looked straight at us. The white head was obvious at that point. A few minutes later it flew off. I've see seen it twice since then and just yesterday I saw one in flight a few miles outside of town. Wasn't close enough to make out the colors, but when soaring the wings were dead flat, no v shape at all. Pretty cool to see they're making a comeback around here, especially so close to town.

Also been seeing a lot of smaller raptors sitting on power lines. I believe them to be common Kestrels, but not sure. I've lived here my whole life and other than the occasional owl, the only birds of prey I would see were Red Tail Hawks and Turkey Vultures. Oh yeah I've also been seeing a lot more wild turkeys the last year or two.

While working on the holiday decorations last night, a coyote ran right past me.

We have eastern coyotes (wolf/coyote hybrid) all over by us. Was out walking last winter at night in our neighborhood and see a large "dog" running towards me. As it goes by it growls but didn't slow down. Had somewhere to be apparently. The eastern ones are bad news and pack hunters unlike western ones which are solitary. They howl like wolves too. Spring through fall we can hear them for a few hours every night.

Eastern coyote -

proxy.php

Western coyote -

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We have eastern coyotes (wolf/coyote hybrid) all over by us. Was out walking last winter at night in our neighborhood and see a large "dog" running towards me. As it goes by it growls but didn't slow down. Had somewhere to be apparently. The eastern ones are bad news and pack hunters unlike western ones which are solitary. They howl like wolves too. Spring through fall we can hear them for a few hours every night.

Eastern coyote -

proxy.php

Western coyote -

proxy.php

Yeah. THAT one.

Interesting, the western ones are darker and skinnier.

One that ran in front of me in traffic was heavy-built; likely the wolf-mix.

"Had somewhere to be apparently."
Yeah, it was in a hurry to eat "Boots," some little kid's cat. As seen on the telephone-pole poster, "Have you seen Boots?" Again, breaks my heart.

AA

For me it would be the common lizard. It's the only native reptile in my country but despite its name it isn't a very common site. I've only ever seen one of them in my life.

Snowy Owl . . . around the time I started high school, a Snowy Owl found itself in our neighbourhood (just NW of Toronto ON). We are/were a little out of their normal range, and he was a Male. He spent the better part of a couple hours just sitting on top of a TV antenna in the neighbourhood, and then he was gone.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Seeing puffins was a treat.
black bears fishing
spinner dolphins swimming with our boat
Whales!

It's been awhile, but a number of years ago I took a group of students on a study abroad trip to the Isle of Skye in January. Arising early one morning, I went out behind the place where we were staying which was only 100 yards or so from the shore of the North Sea around the Inner Hebrides. It was dark of course, but light enough to see a bit, and I stood there and contemplated life until I heard a bark.

There in the sea in front of me was a seal. As soon as he (she?) saw that I had noticed him, he dove under the water, and a few seconds later popped up 20 feet or so away. He barked again, and waited for me to find him, and then dove again. I played hide and seek with that seal for a good ten minutes before my students started to stir and I had to go in again.

It's one of my favorite memories of Skye!

In my case it was a Wolverine. Fortunately the Wolverine was on shore...we (my family) were in our freighter canoe...close to shore.

I've been lucky to see Wolves, Bears, Moose, Fishers, Pine Martins, Badgers....Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Great Gray Owls, Horned Owls, Snowy White Owls, Turkey Vultures, etc. ...among others.

No Cougars, Bobcats or Lynx as of yet. I would only want to see a Cougar in the wild, from a safe distance.

Going all the way back to the original post, I was lucky enough to see a bobcat last year in Upstate New York. I was in my mother's apartment looking out the window and there it was following the wood line. I was unable to grab a camera before it disappeared.

I have also seen fishers a couple times. Once once was investigating the top of my chicken coop. Let my 2 Great Pyrenees out to chase it off and keep the ladies in the coop safe.

Swallow Tailed Kite. It doesn't seem to know it's not supposed to be here. Had to look it up. Saw it while driving home, and the white with black first caught my attention, then I noticed the tail.

This happened very recently at a major intersection in a very developed area. I have lived around here since 1991 and never saw a wild turkey. This is the second time I saw them in the past few months, both times crossing some major road.

PS I know the question is about animals in the wild, but to me the rarity is to see them in the city setting.

IMG_0752 (3).JPG

Top Bottom