What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

SWMBO said she saw a bobcat dart across a county road yesterday when she was on the way to work before daylight. It was about 1/4 mile from the house and she said it looked like a young one. I haven't seen one in quite awhile.

When I was a boy and riding with my father one evening, an honest to goodness lynx crossed the road. Bobcats we have, but this thing had long tufts of hair on its ears. The other memorable thing about that is my father stopped in the road, rolled down the window and meowed. The dang thing called back. They did this back and forth a few minutes before my father drove on.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My area , southwest Ohio, has been invaded by small lizards . They look something like this.

And they have been given the name of ‘Lazarus’ lizards.

liz a.jpg

Rarest for me (in the wild) was when a mountain lion passed right in front of my car one foggy night about 100 yards from my driveway. I parked the car, put on boots and grabbed a flashlight and spent a good while wandering around counting my sheep. After getting a full count I went inside and went to bed.

Several years ago we had a bob cat that would hang out in our lower fields stalking the neighbors house cats. Then there was the black bear (juvenile) that needed to chase off because it was going after SWMBO's apples.

Ruckin.

When I was living in NE Pennsylvania I once saw a bison. It seems that a local farm had bought one from a ranch in Montana, I think it was. Their intent was to cross breed it with their cattle to produce “beefalo” offspring for meat. The bull promptly escaped their farm and ran wild for the better part of a year. I have some pics somewhere if I can find them.

Definitely not rare but we have had wild turkeys hanging out on our roof. Our roof is high. We have a partially above-ground basement plus two full floors and a full walk up attic above that. I didn't think those things could fly but I've seen them and they can get airborne.

While backpacking and hiking in the Adirondacks I've seen a couple bear cubs romping around the top of Mount Marcy. We were nowhere near them but they were above tree line. Fortunately we never saw Mom. I went to summer camp during the summer way up in the Northern Adirondacks in 1974, '75, '76 and '77. And then for years after that I would head up there with friends for some backpacking trips in the late 70s and 80s. Not once did we ever see a bald eagle. About 5 years ago I was canoe camping with my son on Lower Saranac Lake. We canoed down the Saranac River and as we came around a bend I heard that screeching sound they make. I look up and there are three of them just hanging out in a large evergreen tree looking down on us. We saw another couple of them during that same trip as well as on subsequent trips. It was nice to see as the acid rain was really doing a number on the Adirondacks back in the 70s.

I was fishing on the last day of the year and so was a Bald eagle! I got a pic I will post later as it is on my phone. Was a cool site to see! I got skunked but I hope he/she did not.

I was rather young but I did see a white (albino) eastern grey kangaroo in Melbourne Vic aus I was dirt bike riding with my dad in sunshine and back then there was an old quarrie and we seen one so we stoped had a good look and took off

Several years ago, I was exploring some prairie country in south-central North Dakota and had great views of a solitary Whooping Crane flying overhead. I was upset when, a couple of days later, a dead Crane was found on a farm just a few miles from my sighting. I strongly suspect it might have been the same bird. It was an old bird, not travelling with the flock.

A Snowy Owl from the Arctic region, at the Philadelphia, PA airport. About every 4 years there's an increase in their food supply (lemmings), and their birth rate goes up. When this happens, their migration spreads out into more southern/eastern areas.
Snowy_Owl_2.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I havent seen a Snowy Owl for years. They used to be common through the winter where I am, a couple hours east of Detroit, but I dont think I've seen one for about 20 years.

Top Bottom