What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

I recently did a 3 day kayak trip on the Upper Suwanee River; we started in Georgia and ended in Florida. Along with the ever present alligators, turtles, fish, and all manner of birds, we saw 7 otters. Some were in the water, some were on the shore. Really cool animals, and bigger than I expected.

I grew up going to summer camp in New York's Adirondack Mountains. The camp remained open for 4 years and the focus was hiking and camping. So we would do multi night backpacking and canoe trips throughout the high peaks. This was in the mid to late 70s. Not once did I see a bald eagle during all four summers. After the camp closed I continued backpacking during the summer through my college years and in my early working years. Still never saw a bald eagle. When my son was old enough, around 8 or 9 (he's 14 now) I started taking him on annual canoe camping trips in the Saranac Lake area. I can't remember if it was the first trip or a later trip but we were slowly paddling up a quiet winding river when up ahead there were 3 bald eagles sitting high up in a pine tree. Blew me away.

Thanks to my great uncle Sam, I have had the opportunity to see a multitude of wildlife, for. Howler monkeys in panama, to Egyptian cobras to camels, a horse designed by a committee. But, about two weeks ago, I was a bit shocked to see a bobcat, through rifle crosshairs, and then just watched him. Thought he was eyeing up the chickens, the reason he had crosshairs layer upon him. But he did not even pay them any mind. They were a rarity here in western NY. That was pretty cool, I'm tired of cohorts, and foxes

Was on the lake this weekend and while boating or jet skiing, you could see lots of fish jumping out of the water. Two of the fish I saw were Gar and Paddlefish. First time I've ever seen those in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Just saw my first Pileated Woodpecker working on a dead tree that we deliberately left standing in our back yard. :thumbup1:
I've been hoping to see one in the wild for years.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get a picture of him before he flew off. :sad: ... so here's a stock picture of one just for reference.

proxy.php

In terms of hard to see, the rarest/hard to see I have watched is the Heard Island shag, as it lives in one of the most remote and less visited island of the world. Other critters hard to spot because of restricted range or shyness that I have spotted could be polar bear, emperor penguin, wolverine, iberian Lynx or tasmanian devil. Norwegian lemmings are also hard to see unless you get them on an outbreak year, when you will just see tons of them.

Years ago saw a wolverine in Canada. He was on a kill on the edge of a remote highway. We stopped the car, got out for a better look. At 100 feet he indicated his displeasure. We got back in the car. Fast.

I was a helper on a trapline during the '80s, so I have seen most critters that inhabit the northern boreal forest.
There was a pair of bald eagles this summer around the lake I live on. I think I might have seen one once before. Unusual to see them this far north.
The ravens clear out fast when the eagles show up.

For me, the strangest sighting was on a recent trip to Mexico and I saw a capybara on the grounds of our resort foraging in the grassy areas. Basically it's a giant rat.

Living on a small lake in the middle of nowhere, you see some strange stuff. Here is my favourite raven story:
When I trim the fat off a steak or roast, I put it out for the ravens. They have learned that I mean the no harm. I can walk around my yard with a rifle, and they don't fly away. One day late last fall, I destroyed a nuisance squirrel and left it on top of my overturned boat on shore. Two ravens found it. Unlike eagles that can carry game in their talons, ravens carry game in their mouth. One raven would pick up the rather large squirrel carcass, jump around a bit, then put it down. Then the other one would do it. This went on for a few more tries until both birds figured out it was too heavy to fly with. Then they both buggered off.
15 minutes later, they're back, with the biggest raven I have ever seen. Let's call him Bubba. Bubba picks up the squirrel, and marches up the beach. (my beach is sloped towards the water). He gets to what he thinks is far enough, turns around, and runs down the hill to gain some speed, then flies right down at water level, using the ground effect. I could hear the thump-thump-thump of his wingbeats inside my house, 50 meters from shore! Even on full afterburners, it took him at least 500 meters until he started to climb.
How did Hekyl and Jekyl know Bubba could carry it?
How did they know where to find him?
How did they communicate to him that they needed help?
Did Bubba get to keep the prize, or did he share?
As the three of them flew away I thought "so much I don't understand..."

Living on a small lake in the middle of nowhere, you see some strange stuff. Here is my favourite raven story:
When I trim the fat off a steak or roast, I put it out for the ravens. They have learned that I mean the no harm. I can walk around my yard with a rifle, and they don't fly away. One day late last fall, I destroyed a nuisance squirrel and left it on top of my overturned boat on shore. Two ravens found it. Unlike eagles that can carry game in their talons, ravens carry game in their mouth. One raven would pick up the rather large squirrel carcass, jump around a bit, then put it down. Then the other one would do it. This went on for a few more tries until both birds figured out it was too heavy to fly with. Then they both buggered off.
15 minutes later, they're back, with the biggest raven I have ever seen. Let's call him Bubba. Bubba picks up the squirrel, and marches up the beach. (my beach is sloped towards the water). He gets to what he thinks is far enough, turns around, and runs down the hill to gain some speed, then flies right down at water level, using the ground effect. I could hear the thump-thump-thump of his wingbeats inside my house, 50 meters from shore! Even on full afterburners, it took him at least 500 meters until he started to climb.
How did Hekyl and Jekyl know Bubba could carry it?
How did they know where to find him?
How did they communicate to him that they needed help?
Did Bubba get to keep the prize, or did he share?
As the three of them flew away I thought "so much I don't understand..."
There are two raven couples living in the forest close to my house. They are shy, but extremely intelligent and even the magpies are careful to keep a safe distance to them. Over the years I've seen so many amazingly intelligent acts by them that I am very thankful that Odin's very large birds aren't bigger than they already are. They have my deepest respect and admiration.

When I was a kid, either me or dad caught a sturgeon down at the river. Not too common here in north texas. The other was a family of otters at a former deer lease. Part of that lease was on one side of the highway, and another part was on the other side of the highway. When I got back to camp for lunch, I told dad(who was hunting the opposite side from me) he wasn't going to believe what I saw. He says "Otters?". Turned out he had seen another family of them the same morning.

Wasn't in the wild, but yesterday we took our husky to the newly opened dog park. Guy had a full blood arctic wolf! Turned out that he had a buddy in Alaska that works for the fish and game department and I guess this one was abandoned as a pup or something happened to the mother. I knew wolves were big, but I guess it never really sank in just how big till yesterday.

For me, the strangest sighting was on a recent trip to Mexico and I saw a capybara on the grounds of our resort foraging in the grassy areas. Basically it's a giant rat.

I thought capybaras lived only in South America. Could it have been a nutria? Or else perhaps it had escaped from captivity.

I thought capybaras lived only in South America. Could it have been a nutria? Or else perhaps it had escaped from captivity.
I'd never heard of a nutria before, but the size of this thing (about as big as a german shepherd) I'd say it had to either escaped or have been put on the grounds for "flair"

Top Bottom