What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

Armadillos and woodpeckers, while in basic training at North Fort Polk in the winter of 1969 & 70. I remember DI's getting really annoyed when us from the North watched the armadillos. DI's would redirect our attention to planes overhead, telling us that those planes were headed to Vietnam and 50% on-board weren't coming back. I was lucky I did basic training in winter, and after basic, was a deuce and a half driver. My cousin was at Ft Polk the summer before me. He was in advanced infantry. He still remembers being told, "don't pitch your tent near any holes in the ground", and guys being medivac'd out in the middle of night after being bit by something.

Ermine (winter weasel), Mink and Pine Marten, only a couple of sightings each of those in my lifetime. Was fishing in Maine when I was a boy when a family of mink cruised through the hole I was fishing. No luck after that.

Bobcat, on the other hand, are not rare in our backyard:

Cat_4-28_3.JPG

Last year we had a Scarlet Tanager stop for a bit in my back yard on its migration north.

About 15 years ago I saw a Black Bear.

About 20 years ago I almost hit an Emu with my car. There're not that common in Georgia! It had escaped from a farm a couple of years earlier.

When in Australia, we managed to see a platypus. Quite accidentally: we were in an area where they're spotted, but at the wrong hour. We went there anyway. And since we were at the wrong hour, there hadn't been anyone in the neighbourhood for hours. And we approached very silently. Not hoping to see anything, we spotted two of these strange animals very closeby.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Caught on my security cam last night, something horrible.

A red fox - frequently seen - took out a black cat - also frequently seen. Their paths finally crossed.

I know it's nature, but we are cat-people here. Our cat today is indoors-only, but when we had an indoor-outdoor cat, I feared for her safety all the time.

The sounds are horrible. No, I'm not posting it. The effin fox looked like a missile. The cat had a careless moment, looking at bugs or something.

Don't think I will say more. But if you love your pet, don't let them out unsupervised, ever.

I googled it. Foxes aren't supposed to kill cats. But they do.

AA

A tanuki. It is translated as "racoon dog" in English. It spooked the hell out of me when I
was walking home in the dark late one night. Their eyes reflect the light and I was taken aback
They are not dangerous but I was startled.

Caught on my security cam last night, something horrible.

A red fox - frequently seen - took out a black cat - also frequently seen. Their paths finally crossed.

I know it's nature, but we are cat-people here. Our cat today is indoors-only, but when we had an indoor-outdoor cat, I feared for her safety all the time.

The sounds are horrible. No, I'm not posting it. The effin fox looked like a missile. The cat had a careless moment, looking at bugs or something.

Don't think I will say more. But if you love your pet, don't let them out unsupervised, ever.

I googled it. Foxes aren't supposed to kill cats. But they do.

AA

Yep, foxes certainly will take cats if the opportunity presents. Coyotes are notorious for taking cats and smaller dogs, as well. Thankfully it wasn't your cat!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
A moose. I'd never seen a moose before today, and moose aren't very common in the EUP, so I was pretty excited. This one's been hanging around in one particular area, and a lot of people have been seeing it.

IMG_20210426_194842274.jpg

IMG_20210426_194951318_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210426_195008723.jpg

Moose, Lynx, arctic ferret.

The moose we saw were HUGE, and looked at our cube van like we better move even though they were standing in the middle of the road.

The Lynx was also on the side of the road on the same trip, making its way through the snow.

The ferret was among some garbage outside the job site (same trip) and was white as snow and tiny. Cute little son of a gun.

I was riding out to the MTB park here in SW FL last weekend and saw two birds on the side of the road eager to get to some road kill. Their bodies looked liked hawks, but they had a good amount of orange on their faces. Had to look them up. Crested Caracara, apparently.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
A black bear crossed the path about 75ft behind me while back packing in Big Bend NP. I heard it in the brush before I saw it. Needless to say I hightailed it on down the trail after snapping a few pics.
There was another time a peacock crossed the road right in front me while driving through a neighborhood. The strange thing is the guy following behind me didn’t see it. To this day I don’t know if I actually saw a peacock or if some of my past err… partying came back to haunt me for a second.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
To this day I don’t know if I actually saw a peacock or if some of my past err… partying came back to haunt me for a second.
Well, if he was followed by a pink elephant I'd be doubting your eyeballs!

We had a peacock hang around our chickens one summer. Came out of the woods, guess he was lonely! Our old Rooster and he tolerated each other, and the hens just accepted him. Weird.

Top Bottom