What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

I was on a game ride in South Africa in the lat 90's. The driver asked us what we wanted to see. I said a cheetah. She said that she hadn't seen one in six months. Sure enough, a little while later we got to see a wild cheetah.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
We had a king eider winter just offshore one winter when I lived in Massachusetts. A couple years ago I finally saw a curlew up close. Have heard them in Ireland all my life, but they're pretty elusive. They're also almost finished in Ireland. Last I heard there were only about 100 nesting pairs left.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Driving through a mountain pass my wife and I came across an adult moose. It was the biggest animal I’ve seen in the wild. It seemed as if it’s antlers were as wide as our Suzuki suv, and it stood well above the roofline. It ambled along in front of us, I thought about passing it, but chickened out. Eventually it confidently walked down an steep scree bluff like the champion that it was. Powerful and delicate at the same time.

Three animals that I have seen only once in the wild, I could not tell you how rare they are but are stuck in my memory.
1. A bald eagle in northern Saskatchewan
2. A fin whale somewhere off the coast of Antartica
3. A small group of Southern Rockhopper penguins on South Georgia Island

I live on the edge of the Everglades, and we have egrets, herons, ospreys, and storks flying past the house and walking through our back yard on a regular basis. Scaub ducks pass through each winter.

But I've only seen an alligator in the water behind our house once, and it couldn't have been much more than a foot long - just a toddler. I would've thought that I'd see more gators.

A few minutes ago while walking the Chilly Dog l noticed and heard a weird noise in the sky. It turned out to be easily well over 100 sandhill cranes flying high on a southward trajectory with this year's babies. In the springtime they rest in the hayfield across the river from my community on their way to their calving grounds. Very loud birds...

Just recently saw a bald eagle over Lake Murray, Lexington, SC. I work at Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, and turns out there's actually an occupied nest right behind a billboard next to our office building.

76DA3CF1-F9DF-4774-8C88-1F354BB2C850.pngF0CACC02-1219-4EEB-873D-31AD35688998.jpeg
I believe this is a first for me. Fresh water crawfish in Babcock Webb WMA in Charlotte County, FL. He was just making his way from one side of the gravel double track to the other when I turned back for an ID. Then it was on!

View attachment 1164164View attachment 1164165
I believe this is a first for me. Fresh water crawfish in Babcock Webb WMA in Charlotte County, FL. He was just making his way from one side of the gravel double track to the other when I turned back for an ID. Then it was on!

Put the empty tin can behind him, tap in front of 'em with your stick. Backs right into the can, dump him in your bucket. Repeat 30 or more times, steam or boil, then eat! Lotta crawdads in Oregon!

Top Bottom