What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

I hit a yard sale early and lawn items were covered lawn with a tarp. Homeowner says to pull it off so I could look. When I did there was an animal under it smaller than a rabbit. Most definitely not a guinea pig by the ears which were round & out, guinea ears are floppy. It set there 30 seconds before it took off into the bushes. Homeowner came over, "W T F is that?". After looking up North American small rodents I came to the conclusion it was a pika. My guess is that it was an escaped pet, cannot imagine one migrating 2000+ miles. Have had other odd animal sightings but this one still intrigues me.

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I hit a yard sale early and lawn items were covered lawn with a tarp. Homeowner says to pull it off so I could look. When I did there was an animal under it smaller than a rabbit. Most definitely not a guinea pig by the ears which were round & out, guinea ears are floppy. It set there 30 seconds before it took off into the bushes. Homeowner came over, "W T F is that?". After looking up North American small rodents I came to the conclusion it was a pika. My guess is that it was an escaped pet, cannot imagine one migrating 2000+ miles. Have had other odd animal sightings but this one still intrigues me.

proxy.php
Reminds me a little of a Marten. Cute little booger!

One of these fishers was eyeing my Neighbor’s dog at the cottage last summer and I chased it away. Never saw one in my life or even heard of them until we got our cottage a few years back. They are completely evil little buggers and will attack humans, dogs, cats, etc. They love killing porcupines and rabbits.

Creepy things and they are pretty big - size of a big cat. Luckily they are pretty rare. The bottom one is a cute looking little thing though it is a spawn of Satan. 😜

45642F0D-9B34-4F6C-82FA-FA6F54890CC0.jpeg
21ED62C3-BDD4-4DBF-A652-3CDE77682BEA.jpeg

FarmerTan

One of these fishers was eyeing my Neighbor’s dog at the cottage last summer and I chased it away. Never saw one in my life or even heard of them until we got our cottage a few years back. They are completely evil little buggers and will attack humans, dogs, cats, etc. They love killing porcupines and rabbits.

Creepy things and they are pretty big - size of a big cat. Luckily they are pretty rare. The bottom one is a cute looking little thing though it is a spawn of Satan. 😜

View attachment 1198201View attachment 1198202
That baby version I want to cuddle. That big one would have me soiling myself!

That baby version I want to cuddle. That big one would have me soiling myself!
LOL. The one I saw was greasy looking.

I was almost 50 when I first even heard of these things. There are none of them in Toronto but my cottage (2.5hrs east) is apparently right in their habitat. Weird.

FarmerTan

LOL. The one I saw was greasy looking.

I was almost 50 when I first even heard of these things. There are none of them in Toronto but my cottage (2.5hrs east) is apparently right in their habitat. Weird.
The pictures I've seen of Martens are so cute. But every critter in the weasel type family can be ferocious I've heard. Heck, I'm afraid of raccoons when they are in my trap!

They are called "wild" animals for a reason!

The pictures I've seen of Martens are so cute. But every critter in the weasel type family can be ferocious I've heard. Heck, I'm afraid of raccoons when they are in my trap!

They are called "wild" animals for a reason!
Raccoons are my friends.🤪 They are dirty little things though. They are scared to death of my dogs but love me.

I have a few beers at the cottage, stay up late feeding them peanuts and have a good old time! I have had 7 or 8 of them at once wandering around on my deck.

as long as they stay away from my garbage and my beer cooler, we get alone fine.

At home I’m not so nice To them.
C7C24762-53F5-473A-BA02-FCAF19796C84.jpeg

When the wife and I were in the Smokies over Thanksgiving we saw a couple of wild hogs. Thankfully they were on the next hill and ran away when they heard us.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
This is not a rare thing. Within the past week, I saw a doe when I took out my trash. I took it easy. She did not run away.

And a few weeks before this, I saw 3 does at my apartment complex. This used to be unheard of.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I was fly fishing a couple miles off of Wyoming State Highway 230 & even more miles away from any ranch or town when I spotted a bull, as in an intact steer and minutes later, a pine marten, both of which were situated just off a game trail ... gave the enormous bovine, who was laying in tall growth, a very wide berth & jumped (again!) minutes later as the marten dashed off its’ tree.

Though not a rarity in my city, I have never seen a Red-shouldered hawk in my yard. I went out to do some pool work and was stunned to see a juvenile resting on the stone between the hot tub and pool. He let me get very close for an iPhone shot. He was either very tired or unwell. He flew as I tried to get to the side for another angle. Beautiful creature!
EF10F58F-FBD9-4DEC-AC6A-342573DBE611.png

FarmerTan

Though not a rarity in my city, I have never seen a Red-shouldered hawk in my yard. I went out to do some pool work and was stunned to see a juvenile resting on the stone between the hot tub and pool. He let me get very close for an iPhone shot. He was either very tired or unwell. He flew as I tried to get to the side for another angle. Beautiful creature!View attachment 1214911
Stunning! Just gorgeous creatures, hawks.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yesterday, I saw my first Bald Eagle in flight here in NJ. We have some 300 breeding pairs, but this was the first time for me.
I have seen BE in other states, but here it was just an amazing sight. We are helping in the moving of the riding stable and horses to a new facility, and I consider this sighting of the eagle as a good omen!

Top Bottom