What's new

What and where should a new wet shaver for his first month of shaving

Hello All,

Started wet shaving earlier this month and have picked up a Weidi Razor, what other items are good for a total beginner.

On a budget and honestly not sure if I will like it so plan on purchasing only the essentials for a good shave.

I used to buy the 36 pack of customplus 3 at costco around $35 and shave gel $10, and it usually last me 6 - 7 months.

Will wet shaving really save you money after 6 months according to some articles and blogs I have read?

It will save you money if you don't start buying everything like some of us do.

For a beginner, my recommendation would be to get a Gillette Tech off ebay. They usually cost between $10 and $30. For blades I would recommend Astra stainless, but the platinum blades are good, too.

The reason lt is theoretically cheaper is that blades don't cost much. You can buy 100 blades for between 10 and 25 Us dollars. A blade usually lasts about 4-5 shaves.

Good luck and have fun.

If you are creeped out by a vintage razor, I am pretty sure that Gillette sells razorsmwith a Tech-like head brand new in the Indian market. Off the top of my head I don't remember exactly what the name of the razor is, but somebody will come along with the answer pretty soon.

Hello All,

Started wet shaving earlier this month and have picked up a Weidi Razor, what other items are good for a total beginner.

On a budget and honestly not sure if I will like it so plan on purchasing only the essentials for a good shave.

I used to buy the 36 pack of customplus 3 at costco around $35 and shave gel $10, and it usually last me 6 - 7 months.

Will wet shaving really save you money after 6 months according to some articles and blogs I have read?
@kingfisher said it correctly. Can you save money on wet shaving? Yes you can, but for many of us here on B&B it has turned into more of a hobby and as such acquisition disorder follows. You can pick up affordable razors, soaps, blades and a brush that will last you many years for not much money. Soap is also affordable depending on what you use. Personally I was an electric shavers for years and I was just not happy with the result. In addition, I have come to appreciate the old ways of doing things more and more as I grow older.

A lot of us here on B&B have also come to wet shaving because of a lot of issues using cartridges and/or electric razors. Common things are skin irritation due to ingrown hairs, razor bumps, acne etc. Many have issues with cartridge razors because that they use so many blades and they shave the hair below the skin. This causes ingrown hairs etc. Using safety razors or straight razors can resolve most of these issues. It does takes some time to get hang of wet shaving and we are all in constant learning what works and does not work.

It seems like you have a fairly affordable option for shaving right now. Does it give you satisfactory result or does it leave you wanting something different?

I started out a few years ago with the same razor, in the Van Der Hagen box, and upgraded from canned foam to the Van Der Hagen brush, bowl and soap kit. Used the same razor for a couple of months until I learned the technique. I also picked the Astra blades and used the same basic setup until I got the hang of it. Then I fell down the rabbit hole of collecting.

Vintage Tech razors are easy to clean up and make great razors still to this day.

@kingfisher said it correctly. Can you save money on wet shaving? Yes you can, but for many of us here on B&B it has turned into more of a hobby and as such acquisition disorder follows. You can pick up affordable razors, soaps, blades and a brush that will last you many years for not much money. Soap is also affordable depending on what you use. Personally I was an electric shavers for years and I was just not happy with the result. In addition, I have come to appreciate the old ways of doing things more and more as I grow older.

A lot of us here on B&B have also come to wet shaving because of a lot of issues using cartridges and/or electric razors. Common things are skin irritation due to ingrown hairs, razor bumps, acne etc. Many have issues with cartridge razors because that they use so many blades and they shave the hair below the skin. This causes ingrown hairs etc. Using safety razors or straight razors can resolve most of these issues. It does takes some time to get hang of wet shaving and we are all in constant learning what works and does not work.

It seems like you have a fairly affordable option for shaving right now. Does it give you satisfactory result or does it leave you wanting something different?
Unable to get a good shave, i understand that the irrations, razor burns and cuts are partially my fault or all my fault, After going thru and reading as much as I can, thank you @thombrogan for the links and everyone who has posted, I came to a realization.

Its either me shaving like i was on disposals,too much pressure, my technique, the razor or the blade. I plan on spending for the proper essentials items and give it another month.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Unable to get a good shave, i understand that the irrations, razor burns and cuts are partially my fault or all my fault, After going thru and reading as much as I can, thank you @thombrogan for the links and everyone who has posted, I came to a realization.

Its either me shaving like i was on disposals,too much pressure, my technique, the razor or the blade. I plan on spending for the proper essentials items and give it another month.
Don't be so hard on yourself my friend. It could well be that the FOCS isn't a good razor for you. It as a lot of following on here but there are many who don't like it.. like someone already said, put in the back of a drawer and move on you can always come back to it at a later date.

one of the main reason i started wet shaving is because of 2 problem areas, the part where your sideburns go down and under the jaw line on the right and left side, does different razor help in that area, i know there are dual edge, single edge, and a blade.

Edit: Back to work, lunch time over, thanks all, and have a wonderful day!

hold the razor with 2 fingers (thumb and ring finger forgot its name in english at the moment) and more than half way the handle from the head that will limit the amount of pressure you can actually apply. Do not disregard a change of blade by a try pack, same razor with different blade will act much differently for your irritation, and by all means get yourself some Nivea after shave balm if you are not using any looking at your initial post

Hello All,

If you have some time on your hands have a read here. You will see budget stuff, what is needed and what not and that you can enjoy superb shaves without spending a fortune.

Once you have a razor and 1-2 brushes it’s only the cost of consumables.

Welcome aboard @Osyri. Yes, you can save money wet shaving, will you save money depends on how much you jump down the various rabbit holes here. I find the lack of local sources for wet shaving gear is one of the AD (Acquisition disorders) causes. If you can't find quality supplies locally, go on the internet to one of the various online suppliers and to get free shipping load the cart up, before you know it you're north of a Benjamin. If you stick to your guns, get one soap, one brush, one razor, and a variety pack of blades, it should last you a while. A bowl for lathering may or may not be needed. You can get away with using a coffee cup. I haven't done that. A simple bowl will work, or face lather. If you like your current razor, stick to it. I tend to avoid Amazon if I can, but if you have no aversion to Amazon and have Prime you can find all you need there. Many threads here on how to shave. It will take time to develop the skills to get a BBS or DFS, (baby butt smooth and Darn fine shave). As others suggested a blade sample pack may be a good idea if you are building a cart at one of the online retailers. Best of luck with your shaving and welcome aboard.

I am in awe of how helpful and amazing this community is, thank you from the bottom of my heart,

Update : I have heed the words and wisdom from amazing members and made my order for the essentials,

as I have to buy over $60 for free shipping, i've gotten myself a razor, shave cream, brush preshave, aftershave balm, and blade sample pack.

Next week when my shipment arrives, I will be ready!

Welcome aboard @Osyri. Yes, you can save money wet shaving, will you save money depends on how much you jump down the various rabbit holes here. I find the lack of local sources for wet shaving gear is one of the AD (Acquisition disorders) causes. If you can't find quality supplies locally, go on the internet to one of the various online suppliers and to get free shipping load the cart up, before you know it you're north of a Benjamin. If you stick to your guns, get one soap, one brush, one razor, and a variety pack of blades, it should last you a while. A bowl for lathering may or may not be needed. You can get away with using a coffee cup. I haven't done that. A simple bowl will work, or face lather. If you like your current razor, stick to it. I tend to avoid Amazon if I can, but if you have no aversion to Amazon and have Prime you can find all you need there. Many threads here on how to shave. It will take time to develop the skills to get a BBS or DFS, (baby butt smooth and Darn fine shave). As others suggested a blade sample pack may be a good idea if you are building a cart at one of the online retailers. Best of luck wit;h your shaving and welcome aboard.
't's a trap" for onlne shopping lol, its pay above 60 or 8 dollar shipping, i have a feeling i will revisit the site, the blackhawk might help with my under the jaw shaviing

Did i fall into the rabbit hole already ? without knowing how to properly shave?

How’s this for a budget kit? (All prices from Amazon.)
Lord L6 razor: $6
Blade sampler pack: $9
La Toja stick: $9
Semogue 2000 boar brush: $15
Total: $39 (Approximately what you spend for a 6-month supply of carts. Thereafter, you come out ahead!!):a29::a29:

't's a trap" for onlne shopping lol, its pay above 60 or 8 dollar shipping, i have a feeling i will revisit the site, the blackhawk might help with my under the jaw shaviing

Did i fall into the rabbit hole already ? without knowing how to properly shave?
There's enablers here. And Big Nurse. Watch out. That’s all I have to say. Keep the head on a swivel. Now I need to go deals on razors at Italian Barber. Haha.

All good advice given, and since you have purchased your kit I hope you enjoy it. Your shaves should get more comfortable as you go along. I was using bic disposables in the shower, and after my first de razor shave I knew it was for me. Enjoy your shaves.

I am in awe of how helpful and amazing this community is, thank you from the bottom of my heart,

Update : I have heed the words and wisdom from amazing members and made my order for the essentials,

as I have to buy over $60 for free shipping, i've gotten myself a razor, shave cream, brush preshave, aftershave balm, and blade sample pack.

Next week when my shipment arrives, I will be ready!
So, tell us what did you end up buying? What brush, shave cream, aftershave?

Top Bottom