What's new

We've Had Vintage Television Shows - Now It's Vintage Toons

Gents, the vintage telly thread was/is great. It brought back some good memories of when television was fun, unpretentious, and not so political or 'ripped from the headlines' driven as it is today. There has always been plenty of bad television. So don't think I am giving all programmes over 40 years old some kind of break.:001_smile

I was thinking the other day there should be a thread about vintage cartoons and animated shows. Now I realise most people's historical perspective starts on the day they were born. So if you whippersnappers cannot handle this, read no further. I am setting the date at 1975 or earlier. I was hard pressed to include such things as Looney Tunes or Merry Melodies at first because they were cinematic shorts intended as fillers and extras at the cinema houses of the 30s, 40s, and 50s. And it stands to reason. No telly back in those days. At least not commonly til the mid 50s or later in the Sates. I thought it may have stung the senses of cinema purists. However, many of those cartoons and animations would be lost to memory if not for airing on television. So I am going to include the cinematic shorts, and series television cartoons. No feature length movies please. I would think something like anime would be fine as long it was a series, or continuing mini or serial series or similar. From what little I have watched I gather the Japanese would sometimes pick up a storyline or series after a few years hiatus. Okay, here we go.

My first pick for a series has to be Jonny Quest. And yes, that is Jonny without an 'h'. This show came out one year after I was born. I think it was 1964 and it was a prime time series. Much like the Flintsones had been. I was able to watch it on reruns Saturday mornings. The original series, mostly called "Classic Jonny Quest" by us fans was only 26 episodes. It lasted one full season. And has had a bit of a cult following ever since with those of us who grew up with it. What red blooded American boy did not want to hang out with Hadji and Jonny and shoot rifles, fly air and space craft, fight monsters and robots, and cover the globe in every kind of water craft imaginable? Want to fight Komodo dragons? It was in there. Want to stave off an Egyptian mummy's vengeful awakening for violating his tomb? It was in there. All the characters were great. Race Bannon was the resident 'odd jobs' and general all round tough guy. Doctor Benton Quest was the brainiac, stabilising influence on the whole bunch. Jonny and Hadji were the two coolest cats on the planet. And bad guys. Did we have bad guys. Ex Nazis, megalomaniacs determined to take over the world, syndicated crime gangsters, smugglers, you name it. Jonny and Hadji took on all comers.

So there is my entry as all time favourite. I should also mention all the old cinematic shorts were must sees at my house as well.

Cheers Todd

Jonny Quest is hard to beat. It took a lot of effort to draw realistic-looking figures consistently on the animation team's part, and as you've mentioned, the story lines couldn't be beat. None of that watered-down, "Oh... Strawberry Shortcake is in trouble! Let us do all we can to help her non-violently!" nonsense. Bad guys got it, literally, in the end. The show also explored science and up and coming technologies, and took a few turns down the supernatural or cryptozoological path. Remember the yeti in the episode, "Monster in the Monastery?" I'll never forget the daddy-long legs robot in "The Robot Spy," and how when the army troops were trying to stop it, tank rounds would hit it and it would have this ultra-realistic staggering step as it took the round. Dog fights in WWI planes, hovercrafts, VTOL aircraft, lasers.... this cartoon grabbed a kid's imagination and held it, and never insulted the viewer's intelligence. Yes, I wanted to be Jonny, who didn't?

My list of favorites is way too extensive. Cartoons are a big favorite interest of mine and I'll never apologize for it, and okay, I refuse to grow up, if that's what you want to say about me. The Flintstones, all Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, the Hanna Barbera shorts (Quick Draw McGraw!), Space Ghost, The Herculoids, Droopy, Barney the Bear, ANYTHING by Tex Avery. Classic cartoons are a big hit with me, and I'll defend their worth with the ferocity of a mother wolverine defending her kits.

Don

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I was born in '64 and remember watching early Saturday morning shows like,

Rocky & Bullwinkle in syndication as it ran from '59 to '64 before I was born.
H.R. Puff N Stuff '69
The Monkey's '68
Superfriends '73
Land of the Lost '74
Scooby Doo '69
School House Rock '73
Fat Albert '72
Josie and the Pussycats '73
Flinstones Comedy Hour '73
Pink Panther '73
Jabberjaw '76
Bugsbunny/Roadrunner '76
Hong Kong Phooey '78
Mr. Magoo '77
Yogi's Space Race '78

Johnny Quest, (followed by Speed Racer) was one of my favorites when my friends tv rabbit ears were just right with the aluminum foil, and the Universe was zen. Our tv didn't get UHF at all!

As far as Cartoons in my own house - Jinkies man, you couldn't beat Scooby Doo!

Have you ever noticed all of the Peanuts characters are drawn the same- 'cept Woodstock and Snoopie?

I thought Speed Racer was the best cartoon ever, and Racer x was the man.

I remember thinking Felix the Cat was pretty cool too.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't know why, but there was always something mesmerizing about

View attachment 389757 $01.jpg

Speed Racer was AWESOME and my first experience with anime. At least I think it is anime. Correct me please if I am mistaken. And yeah, Scooby Doo was always a favourite. As far as the shorts I have to vote for Tom and Jerry. Yankee Doodle Mouse was likely my favourite episode.

Blackadder, you are quite correct about Jonny Quest. The story lines were equally aimed at adults as well as kids. It was a prime time show and had to appeal to more than 8 year old kids. I would say the Curse of Anubis was my number one episode. And yes, the Robot Spy's effects were slickly executed. That stagger-step scene is in the opening credits of the show and never fails to impress. Does the fact that I bought the boxed DVD set of the show the first week it was released make me a toon geek? As I suspected, the boxed sets sold out pretty quickly. I don't know if they are available regularly anymore.

Cheers, Todd

Intro For Jonny Quest

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Jonny Quest had had my favorite line: "seem seem salabeem".

It also had a rousing theme song, but for my money.....

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
But nothing, and I mean nothing, beats Bugs Bunny.

Top Bottom