What's new

Wetshavers are environmentally friendly... yup

I started de/wet shaving because I hated shaving, grumbled daily about proctor and gamble and generally prefer simpler things with tradition and history. I do appreciate environmental stewardship so in the name of great shaves and decreasing my footprint on the planet I am going to try straight razor shaving this weekend! (ok I must admit it's almost entirely in the name of trying different shaves!)

I used to Mach3 shave in the shower, using about 4 minutes of fast flowing and piping hot water. Now I DE shave at the sink and use exactly one sinkful of warm water plus a few splashes of cold at the end.

Well, all things being equal, use would use less water with the Mach3. (both type razors at the sink or both in the shower).

I can't imagine, based on what I do or what I've seen described at B&B, non-cartridge shaving NOT using more water, all other things being equal. Even if you don't fill up the sink, most people do more than one pass with a DE. I only did one pass with the Mach3. I fill the sink 1/3 for each pass. I always just rinsed as I went with cartridges; no doubt some folks do that for their DE, but I can't recall it being mentioned. I use quite a bit more water at the sink, but take shorter showers nowadays. I figure it all comes out in the wash.

Steve

"I just realized we are a very environmentally conscious bunch"

You know, I was just thinking that the other day. As I was draining the oil on the ground of my diesel truck down at the lake to change it, I thought I had a few minutes to shave while it drained. I put some old tires on the fire to burn with my trash and headed up the hill to the house in my spark spewing, two cycle four wheeler. (a lot of fun to watch the sparks in the woods at night!) I turned on the hot water and let it start running to get really hot while I nuked some hot pockets for a snack. I came back and put my disposable cup with soap into the sink. The key here is to keep the water running so it will stay hot in that plastic cup. I got my new endangered species brush out, the one with the rain forest wood handle and my trusty razor I keep soaking in alcohol. (Just keep a jar by the sink and throw the old stuff down the toilet every few days to keep it fresh.) I had a nice shave in front of the big mirror with the silver chemical backing and just thought how important a lot of incandescent light is to a good shave. Those big bulbs over the mirror really do it. I finished with two after shaves and a lotion, threw the empty lotion bottle into the trash and picked up my hot pocket wrappers and my blade wrappers and went back to the fire to burn them and to my truck draining oil by the lake with a nice clean shave.

I was just thinking, shaving with a DE instead of a cartridge makes me practically an environmentalist!

You know at night from the lake you can see all those lights from Al Gore's house. He has done a lot for the environment too!

Don't flame me bro' it is just a joke,
mrscottishman-I am not saying Williams is bad, just that it is hard on the environment.

This was really, really funny!

Well, all things being equal, use would use less water with the Mach3. (both type razors at the sink or both in the shower).

I can't imagine, based on what I do or what I've seen described at B&B, non-cartridge shaving NOT using more water, all other things being equal. Even if you don't fill up the sink, most people do more than one pass with a DE. I only did one pass with the Mach3. I fill the sink 1/3 for each pass. I always just rinsed as I went with cartridges; no doubt some folks do that for their DE, but I can't recall it being mentioned. I use quite a bit more water at the sink, but take shorter showers nowadays. I figure it all comes out in the wash.

Steve

Why not just fill the sink and use the same water for all passes? That is what I do. Some people think it is gross to use the same water you shave with to rinse your face, but it is just soapy water, and the whiskers were on your face a few seconds before. I'm just sayin'...

Why not just fill the sink and use the same water for all passes? That is what I do. Some people think it is gross to use the same water you shave with to rinse your face, but it is just soapy water, and the whiskers were on your face a few seconds before. I'm just sayin'...

This.

Quitting those rusty shaving cans is a step in the right direction. But what about soaps and creams? Many are merely slight reformulations of the canned stuff. But they have to contain either tallow (bad for cows) or palm oil (bad for rainforests); either way, the lather we love exacts some sort of cost on the environment. Personally (for now at least), I'm okay with that: everything has a cost. But it's good to be aware.

Nope, they just donate them. Since I am a carnivore, they are going down anyway, so the tallow element is just full resource utilization in my eyes.:001_tt2:

Probably be a lot fewer cows on the planet if we didn't eat them.:tooth::tooth::tooth:

just thinking,
mrscottishman-I am not saying Williams is bad, just that it ate a hole in my mug.

I used to Mach3 shave in the shower, using about 4 minutes of fast flowing and piping hot water. Now I DE shave at the sink and use exactly one sinkful of warm water plus a few splashes of cold at the end.

I used to shave after the shower with disposables...I have the same pre/post shave routine I have now, except I have to rinse the blade more and use more water for lather. Like others have stated, it's nice if my actions are beneficial to the earth but I didn't switch to DE shaving because it was environmentally friendly.

Just saying.

It's a valid question and one I expected to be asked. An even better question is why fill the sink at all? I could still face lather and rinse my blade turning on the tap after each pass. Truth is, I like having a fresh bit of water for each pass. It's part of the ritual that I haven't pared away. There is some utility to having clean water: I recharge my brush in the water after I've face lathered the 2nd and 3rd (and there's rarely a 3rd pass; I did one today for the first time in ages) time and of course use the first bowl to charge the brush. I'll admit I do like rinsing my razor in clean patches of water, which would be impossible with the grog bowl technique, but it doesn't gross me out. Except, I suppose, I don't think I'd be keen on charging my brush with less than really hot water filled with cut hairs.

Like I said, good question. I do it because I want to do it. Who knows, maybe my two bowls are less than other people's one bowl so I won't have to go to environmentalist Hell (I am in SoCal, after all).

Steve

I definitely use it when people say "YOU SHAVE WITH A STRAIGHT RAZOR?!"

1. Good for the environment
2. Superior shave
3. Saves money in the long term
4. Historical factor / general coolness / rewarding / much more enjoyable

Farms are going fallow left and right out here on the west coast. We have a water system that was designed for a fraction of the people it serves. And everyone wants to avoid the political third rail that is improving our water infrastructure. In northern CA, our water also goes to support SoCal (no further comment). Its a pretty big deal. Every couple years, people talk about dividing CA into two states, north and south.

In SoCal's defense, the truth is its better to build a city in the desert than on good farmland.

Shave quality was first for me. The lack of waste just seals the deal.

Last edited:
It seems to be a common fact that DE shaving is better for the environment than the mass cartridge shaving.

But i'm wondering is it that true ?
Here are a few elements of my thoughts about DE shaving is worse or at least same for environment than cartridge/can shaving :
- you definitely tend to use more water as you need to soak/clean more items (brush, soap, razor, bowl...) => Advantage Cartridge/can
- creams and soaps contain usually the same bad chemicals products as the foam cans. Some soaps even contains more bad products or worse products than the cans, that go directly to pollute soils, rivers as they are very difficult to suppress from used waters. => Same
- Most of us usually order items from the other side of the world or buy items made in a foreign country. Our carbon result is much worse than the standard cartridge shaver as we buy much more product, more often. => Advantage Cartridge/can
- Yes there is no plastic on the blade, so ? There is a lot of plastic, cardboard to wrap blades, soaps, creams, ASB... => probably same

What do you think of it ? Am I wrong somewhere ?

Top Bottom