What's new

Wet Shaving Newbie

I can't talk to the Mergress, but any Gillette adjustable (in good mechanical condition) would be a great razor for a beginner thru experienced wet shaver. As far as 1 or max 2 razors in your lifetime goes, good luck with that. :001_rolle

Get yourself a blade sampler pack. Just because a blade works great for me, doesn't mean it will work the same for you, even if we both have sensitive skin. tryablade.com has a great sampler I highly recommend.

I took you advice and went on to the site. I'm looking at Astra SPs, Gillette Silver Blue, Voshkod, Polsilver SI, Personna Reds, Derby Extra & Feather. That should just about cover it right..

The shave bowl is t necessary. You can lather in the palm of your hand, or directly on your face, but I prefer a bowl so I don't have to rinse my hand, plus I keep the brush in it for my 2nd pass since it stays loaded with cream or soap

That sounds exactly like what I would do.. So I guess a bowl is required :001_302:

A stainless steel razor might be the way to go, in that these will really last a lifetime; something like the Rockwell 6S, which is "adjustable" in its own way, or the Muhle Rocca, which isn't outrageously expensive.

Now you've just added to my happy problem with those 2 razors thrown into the mix :001_rolle

Personal opinion, the Castle Forbes shaving cream is great, but skip their aftershave balm. Get some Lucky Tiger Face Wash to clean your face before the shave (works well, keeps the skin hydrated, and I've seen a number of reviews from people who have skin problems saying that it works wonders). Get some Thayer's Alcohol-free Witch Hazel for a post shave, use it everyday whether you shave or not, it'll help with flaking skin.

I was really looking forward to the CF aftershave but your suggestions seem legit, gonna tweak my cart now. Definitely getting me some Lucky Tiger & Thayer's :a14:

Thanks for all the warm wishes guys! Glad to be a part of this awesome community!

From what I've read, boar brushes smell worse than badger brushes right? And it seems that boar brushes don't fully lose the smell.. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
They can smell worse than badger, but my boar brushes all lost their funk after being broken in.

From what I've read, boar brushes smell worse than badger brushes right? And it seems that boar brushes don't fully lose the smell.. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't think that either of my Omega boars smelled worse than the Fine, Simpson, or Thater badgers that I've used. And the smell will disappear from both types.

I was really looking forward to the CF aftershave but your suggestions seem legit, gonna tweak my cart now. Definitely getting me some Lucky Tiger & Thayer's :a14:

I had looked forward to the CF preshave and aftershave when I ordered them, because the shaving cream was great. Unfortunately, the preshave is bad and the aftershave isn't good. As for the Thayer's try any scent you like, just make sure it's the alcohol-free toner and not the astringent.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Personal opinion, the Castle Forbes shaving cream is great, but skip their aftershave balm. Get some Lucky Tiger Face Wash to clean your face before the shave (works well, keeps the skin hydrated, and I've seen a number of reviews from people who have skin problems saying that it works wonders). Get some Thayer's Alcohol-free Witch Hazel for a post shave, use it everyday whether you shave or not, it'll help with flaking skin.

Well, it depends on how dry your skin is. I use the Thayer's w/aloe every day - followed by a moisturizer (either CF or Clinique for me).

Stinky brushes: A couple of months ago I bought my first new boar brush, a Semogue 620. It didn't have any objectionable scent that I could detect. Also, two new Simpson badger brushes were fine too.
Then last week I got an Omega 10049 Pro boar and an Omega 10086 Travel boar brush. The Travel brush smelled like formaldehyde, and the Pro like something died. Fortunately, this process - How To Break In A Brush & Get The Funk Out - killed about 90% of the smell in both. They are improving as they are used.

A few others have suggested skipping the barbicide, care to elaborate more as to why?
My impression is that Barbicide is more of a professional barber thing, where you have unknown customers coming in with possible unknown germs. If the gear is seen by customers to be soaking in a germicidal bath, then it puts them more at ease.

Top Bottom