What's new

Wessex Bridgade Campaign Dark Flake changed?

I just read a review where someone said it was similar to Marlin Flake too, and that's not too far off, at least with some age on it. Marlin Flake does have perique, but the richness of the flavor is similar.

Last edited:
[MENTION=57924]Shave_Rat[/MENTION] I just got an order in from SP and they still have the circular tins. :thumbup:

Weird, cause the 4 tins I promptly ordered from there when I got the news ones from P&C were the new square ones as well. Congrats on your lottery win with that one, Erik. :lol:

Weird, cause the 4 tins I promptly ordered from there when I got the news ones from P&C were the new square ones as well. Congrats on your lottery win with that one, Erik. :lol:

Well that is odd, I just got 2 today, from SP, that are the old round ones.

See, now I don't want to load up a cart with tins on the worry/expectation I'll end up with the new ones again. Granted, I haven't actually smoked any out of the new tins, and the product did have a great tin note still, very much up my alley based on that, and I could be very happy with the new stuff... oh, the decisions... :lol:

I'll do a head to head comparison sometime in the next day or two, if work stays slow tonight, maybe even tonight...

I'll put each one into an identical pipe, and basically swap between them during the smoke, with some coffee to cleanse the palate now and again.

FOR SCIENCE!!!

$IMG_20170130_212802.jpg

See, now I don't want to load up a cart with tins on the worry/expectation I'll end up with the new ones again. Granted, I haven't actually smoked any out of the new tins, and the product did have a great tin note still, very much up my alley based on that, and I could be very happy with the new stuff... oh, the decisions... :lol:

You could try calling them and ordering over the phone.

OK, here's my side by side smoke of both. Both pipes should be pretty much the same sort of ghosting, as both were only used for road pipes going to work each day, and I only smoked two different blends for that commute. Just to be sure, I'll repeat this test smoke in a couple days, reversing which blend goes into which pipe (I labeled one so I know which is which for the pipes). Keep in mind, I'm not a professional at testing/tasting/reviewing pipe tobacco... lol

Jar Note-

Old tin:
raisin/fig/date sort of dark fruity, hay

New tin:
vanilla, molasses, fruity raisin still and... almost faint almond/cherry?, slightest bit of hay

Appearance-
Old tin:
slightly broken sort of long flake. Very dark brown, some specks of lighter brown mottled in, but not many

New tin:
Uniform even flakes, Not as dark of a brown, seems to have more percentage of lighter brown mottled in, maybe 4/5 dark to the lighter.

Char light-
Old tin:
very hay like - classic VA sort of char light, decent sweetness, also grass with the hay

New tin:
sweet fruit, light vanilla, very small hint of grass/hay

True light-
Old tin: fruity hay, sort of tarty sweetness, very natural kind of Virginia tobacco. Turns grassy more nearing the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the bowl.

New tin: vanilla, aromatic like, sweet, almost sickly and cloying after the old tin. Some retrohales reminisce of Capt Black/1Q aro.. or like a black and mild cigar to me. Further down the bowl the over sweetness fades back, giving the smoke a better balance than it started with. Still sweeter and semi-aromatic seeming.

Conclusion-
I would have to say that yes, the recipe changed from the old tin to the new, most likely with the addition/tweaking of the casing/topping they are using. Seems way sweeter, and I got vanilla notes all through the smoke and in the jar note of the new style.

Side note, sipping two pipes back and forth like that has given me a super nic hit, which isn't all that pleasant. I think I need to lay down for a short bit now. :lol:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Very nice comparison! I sure hope that those weren't full bowls that you'd packed. I'd be seeing stars if I double fisted like that. It'll be cool to hear the follow-up after the repeat smoke, but it sounds like your original assessment of it was right. Thanks, for sharing, Double-Herf Dustin!

Very nice comparison! I sure hope that those weren't full bowls that you'd packed. I'd be seeing stars if I double fisted like that. It'll be cool to hear the follow-up after the repeat smoke, but it sounds like your original assessment of it was right. Thanks, for sharing, Double-Herf Dustin!

Yeah, they were full bowls, though granted that Brebbia bulldog is a very small bowl, which was one thing that made it perfect for my 20 minute morning commute when I worked in that office. I may do the next trial a bit different, and just light up the new tin in the other pipe to make sure it's as sweet and vanilla like, eliminating any possible pipe ghosting issues. If that smoke agrees with my first write up, then there really isn't any need to put the old style in the other pipe.

Top Bottom