What's new

Wessex Bridgade Campaign Dark Flake changed?

I've been cellaring (and smoking) for a fairly short amount of time (about 2 months), and just got a tin I tossed onto a recent order. The packaging changed, they used to be one of the large round tins with longer flakes sort of coiled into the tin. Now, it's a small square tin with nice even flakes. I decided to open the new tin and put the flakes into a canning jar. When I opened it, I noticed the flakes didn't appear nearly as dark as the previous tin I opened. Comparing the new tin note to the 2 month old stuff I have in a jar, the new stuff smells way sweeter, with a lot more fruity top note, almost like they changed the casing/topping at the same time they changed the packaging. It still smells good, sure... but it's way lesss natural VA smelling and more topping/casing scent now. :(

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Oh man! I haven't ordered any recently. It would be a shame if they changed it.

Agreed. As I said, I'm not an expert on the product, only smoked through most of 1 tin so far, but my eyes and nose definitely seem to detect a difference between the last of that tin and what was in the one I just opened. I sent off a message to to the vendor to see if they are aware and/or can shed some light on it all.

$bummer.jpg

I thought I had plenty, suddenly I'm worrying I don't have enough.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm glad that I could score a couple of tins this past summer. This is why I don't mind buying highly recommended tobaccos without trying them. And, this is why I almost always buy two tins at a time when first buying a tinned tobacco.

I'm glad that I could score a couple of tins this past summer. This is why I don't mind buying highly recommended tobaccos without trying them. And, this is why I almost always buy two tins at a time when first buying a tinned tobacco.

Excellent, young Padawan.

Could be someone screwed up and put the wrong blend in. I'd wait and see if future tins turn out the same way.

I pondered that as well, but thought it less likely since the packaging changed at the same time. But just in case, I went and looked. I couldn't find any other blend by Wessex which matches the tine note, nor that comes in flake. But maybe/hopefully?

I pondered that as well, but thought it less likely since the packaging changed at the same time. But just in case, I went and looked. I couldn't find any other blend by Wessex which matches the tine note, nor that comes in flake. But maybe/hopefully?

Maybe Brown Virginia Flake or Red Virginia Flake? They come in a square tin and have been described as fruity/sweet.

It could also explain why they mixed it up, since BVF and RVF both come in a square tin.

Maybe Brown Virginia Flake or Red Virginia Flake? They come in a square tin and have been described as fruity/sweet.

It could also explain why they mixed it up, since BVF and RVF both come in a square tin.

Hopefully my email to P&C yields some info, or someone more experienced with the blend gets one of the new tins and chimes in with their thoughts. I only managed to stash 5 tins prior to this.

Side note: Dan's Tobacco's Patriot Flake is a very similar tobacco over all. I just don't like paying the extra couple dollars per tin his brand costs. But, if that turns out to be the next closest option to the round tin Wessex Dark Flake, so be it.

At least you had some ample time to stock up a bit on it, not just 2 months. :lol:

Sadly, I only have five tins left as well. I do have plenty of similar blends of course, but had I known this might happen I'd have laid in about a dozen more.

This is exactly what I do, always.

Sadly, I only have five tins left as well. I do have plenty of similar blends of course, but had I known this might happen I'd have laid in about a dozen more.

Any recommendations on other similar blends besides the Patriot Flake?

I put in an order with SP pretty much immediately after seeing the new tins/style arrive from P&C, hoping to maybe land some of the old ones still, but no luck. For anyone searching, P&C and SP both are shipping the new square tins. *sigh*

I now have 5 of the new ones... at least the tin note still smelled great, just... different than the round tin version. Guess I'll have to jump into the one I already opened and jarred, and sample a smoke from it.

I put in an order with SP pretty much immediately after seeing the new tins/style arrive from P&C, hoping to maybe land some of the old ones still, but no luck. For anyone searching, P&C and SP both are shipping the new square tins. *sigh*

I now have 5 of the new ones... at least the tin note still smelled great, just... different than the round tin version. Guess I'll have to jump into the one I already opened and jarred, and sample a smoke from it.

Looks like it's time to go hit up my B&M, then, and hope to get lucky.

Did you ever hear back from the vendor?

Looks like it's time to go hit up my B&M, then, and hope to get lucky.

Did you ever hear back from the vendor?

P&C was so less than helpful in their reply I didn't bother posting it. But, it was about what I expected. They weren't advised by the distributor about any changes, and have no control over it, etc etc. Which is all true, I know. Just was hoping for confirmation on what my nose and eyes are telling me about the recipe itself having been altered now.

Top Bottom