What's new

Welsh Rarebit Day

So it's National Welsh Rarebit Day.

Who's had it? Who makes it?

I remember my dad making it once in a while when I was a kid. He didn't go all out - it was just Campbells Cheddar Cheese Soup and some worcestershire and a few spices. Served on toast. But it's one of those comfort food memories....

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I went into a pub in Greenwich for lunch one day while working a gig at the O2 arena. They had a big chalkboard sign announcing that rarebit was the special. I asked the guy what it was, and it sounded pretty good. So I ordered it. It wasnt that appealing to me. But it was cool to try it.

There was a hotel/motel restaurant in Phoenix that we stayed at when I was about 13 (1963) which had Welsh Rarebit on the menu as a regular item. I think it was on Central or &th Avenue but it's been awhile and I've slept since then.

I loved it.. Ate it everytime we stayed there.. Now that you've mentioned it, langod, I'll have to see about making some.

Thanks for the suggestion and the memories.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've made it a few times, but I always got the rabbit a bit underdone. :biggrin1:

It is pretty good...poor english man's dinner. It's been awhile since I made it though.

Now i am Welsh and have neverhad the classic Welsh Rarebit! In Wales, cheese on toast was the thing I still love it now.

Slice of bread toasted on one side under the grill then turned over and covered with sliced cheddar. back under the grill until the cheese is bubbling well. Heaven!

On the other hand, the definition of a Welsh Rarebit in Cardiff was a virgin in Pontypridd...

Gareth

Love it! Needs some beer in the melted cheese and a good dollop of grainy French mustard together with the Worcester sauce.

You've got my juices flowing now....

All the recipes I see call for toasting on a grill. When I think of cheese and bread, I jump right to grilled cheese in a skillet. Will that do for Rarebit?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had it many times. There's a great pub, The Mucky Duck, that makes a great one. While I've made the classic cheese toast, described above, I've never gone the whole way to a proper Welsh Rarebit.

Love that stuff, though!

All the recipes I see call for toasting on a grill. When I think of cheese and bread, I jump right to grilled cheese in a skillet. Will that do for Rarebit?

From what I've had-- it's usually grilled or toasted bread served with the Rarebit sauce spooned over. Traditionally, I guess it's a thicker sauce -- almost a paste -- that spread on the toast and then put under a broiler to get nicely browned.

This seems to be a "traditional" recipe:
https://lucysgarden.com/2013/11/26/in-praise-of-the-traditional-welsh-rarebit/
proxy.php

I used to love a stripped down version of "Buck Rarebit" - until I was put on Doctor's orders to go on a diet to lower my cholesterol.
My cholesterol is now in the clear, but it's far too hot to eat Buck Rarebit at the moment, but when the temperature drops I'll celebrate in style with my takes on the classic recipe, still all the goodness of the original, but healthier.
One slice of each will be a tasty, filling "winter warmer".....

Buck Rarebit - Aka - Cheesy Hammy Eggy
Stripped down
1x slice of dry white toast spread thickly with strong mustard, 2-3 slices of "sandwich ham", topped with a thick layer of grated smoked sheep's cheese, then topped with a fried egg "sunny side up", and more grated smoked sheep's cheese on top of the egg.
Traditional
1x slice of dry white toast spread with margerine, 2-3 slices of "sandwich ham", topped with a thick layer of grated smoked sheep's cheese, worcestershire sauce and mustard mixed together, then a fried egg £sunny side up", and more grated smoked sheep's cheese on top of the egg.

Both slices under the grill side by side until the cheese melts - forget a knife and fork, it always tastes better if you pick it up in your fingers and bite into it like a square pizza, and if you're lucky you'll have some of the egg yolk ooze out onto the plate so you can dip the crusts into it !!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jim:
The last time I remember having Rarebit was years ago when the Mrs. and I stayed with friends over the X-mas holidays in the town of Yeovil, (county of Somerset), GB.

When cheese was mentioned (or getting 'low' in the house),...we all would pack into their auto and drive to the village of Cheddar to buy cheese (of course cheddar for Rarebit...and they say this village is the birthplace of this cheese [wink]).
proxy.php

I was told that a variation of this dish in 'Somerset' was to use crumpets (can only get them on-line here in States), instead of toast and was topped with bacon and a poached egg...pure heaven! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"Many’s the long night I’ve dreamed of cheese—toasted, mostly". The castaway Ben Gunn in Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island (1883).

Jim:
The last time I remember having Rarebit was years ago when the Mrs. and I stayed with friends over the X-mas holidays in the town of Yeovil, (county of Somerset), GB.

When cheese was mentioned (or getting 'low' in the house),...we all would pack into their auto and drive to the village of Cheddar to buy cheese (of course cheddar for Rarebit...and they say this village is the birthplace of this cheese [wink]).
proxy.php

I was told that a variation of this dish in 'Somerset' was to use crumpets (can only get them on-line here in States), instead of toast and was topped with bacon and a poached egg...pure heaven! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"Many’s the long night I’ve dreamed of cheese—toasted, mostly". The castaway Ben Gunn in Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island (1883).
Man, that sounds good! I had Welsh Rarebit on home-made sourdough for lunch on Wednesday after reading this thread - I would have posted a picture but I ate it first!

Never thought about doing them with crumpets though, but will give that a spin next week.

Top Bottom