What's new

Well-loved blades which you hate

Gillette Nacets, irritation every time esp on my neck

Gillette Goals, very very tuggy

Merkur, first shave I always found them too aggressive and would inevitably cut myself, better on subsequent shaves

WOW ...after reading all these horror stories I feel soooo great, I've never really considered any blade unusable or had to discontinue usage of a particular brand. I basically consider all blades the same anyway, they are sharp, I drag them over my facial hair, they cut it off and in a couple of days I have to repeat the same thing. I try not to over-analyse the issue. I do not believe there are "magic" creams, blades, blades etc. and I don't search for them anymore. When I first entered the Hobby? yes, but that was years ago. Things settle down with time. The novelty does wear off, it's still great fun but I'm just not fanatical about it anymore

So there are some blades which get mucho love in this subforum, and here below are some which come to mind.
  • Astra Superior Platinum
  • Personna Lab Blues
  • Polsilver Super Iridium
  • Feather
  • Voskhod
My question is this: is there a highly-touted blade which you absolutely cannot stand?

For me it is Polsilver. I bought two tucks a couple-three years ago, and have never done well with them. PSI just rip my face open.
Polsilver was first that came to mind. only used it in one razor and will give shot in my Merkur, but not impressed. Also Voskhod did not impress me either

I don't hate any of them. I love them all. Everytime I compare a 15 cent DE blade to a $3.00 cartridge which I shaved with for decades I get a warm and fuzzy feeling. $3.00 for a 10pk vs. $23.00 for a 10pk of the old cartridges. Love DE blades ....
WoW
Your Math and your Philosophy are
Both top of the line.

The only blade I hate is the Gillette India blacks. Every time I use them I get irritation. There are some blades such as the Astras and Rockwell that I don't hate - but don't get good shaves when I use them.

Gillette Silver Blues.

Cuts up my face and/or gives irritation. My fave feels sunburnt after.

They get so much praise that I feel like I'm seriously missing something.

Astra's & Sharks..among the worst. Too dull..irritation..tugging.. too bad the prices are great but not good blades for me.

I do not plan to ever shave with a Derby again. I've given them lots of tries, but every time they tug and pull something awful. I am less fond of Feathers and Astra SP than most others on this forum. I seem to get more weepers with them than any other blades.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I tried ELIOS blades once and they were pretty bad.
On the other hand, it's a shame they discontinued the Souplex blades.

Gillette Silver Blues always tugs, leaves a trail of irritation and stubble. Tried 2 as part of a sampler in case I had a bad blade. Have one more to confirm but not looking forward to trying. In fact my experience the 7 O'clock (yellow and green)has been wanting. My favorites so far are feather, polsilver, wizamet and astra. Kai not so bad but have 2 more to try.

There are a number of blades I don't like...however the worst for me, like dull rusty knives were the derby's and sharks.

I don't do well with a lot of blades that people like and I do well with a lot of blades people don't.

I don't like voskhod, but lots of people don't. I have used most rapiras and most are better in my opinion.

However, the absolute devil blade for me is the Rapira Sweadish Supersteel. It's horrible, but people seem to love it and compare it favourably against the platinum lux (a really good blade) and the sharp star (a great blade).

Hi everyone!
For me:
Personna blue (rough)
Israeli Personna (dull)
Astra green (irritation)
German Wilkinson (dull)
Polsiver (red dots)
Treet Platinum (inconsistent)

(I use only Gillette Platinum (the blue one) and Permasharps. Sometimes Feather, and sometimes Polsilvers. I very like Personna meds, but theу are to expensive for me here in Eastern Europe.)
Congrats

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Polsilver SI. Smooth on the face, but extremely disappointing performance.

Mild irritation, and inability to give a close shave in a moderate razor. Unsure whether the irritation is due to grind, coating, or overshaving trying to get a finish that's anything like as good as every other blade I've tried so far. The only way I can get a good shave with minimal irritation, is two "standard" passes, then an extended touch up period with water only. Even then, the result is mediocre at best. Even budget blades such as Shark Super Chrome and Derby Extra give a significantly better performance.

After 10 shaves, I'm on the verge of throwing it out, even though it's still sharp. I might try it in a more aggressive razor before I do. However, I believe blades should perform well in any razor, and this one doesn't, so it's of no interest to me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My Nacets must be fake, because so many folks like them ... And I get tuggy, lousy shaves from my batch.

Gave a tuck to a buddy who had the same poor results.

AA

Astra SP & SS. I’ve gotten more nicks from Astra SS than all other blades combined since I started traditional shaving a bit over 2 years ago, and the SP aren’t much better. Both feel rough too. The SP do last awhile but for me that just means more uncomfortable shaves and nicks per blade.

Gentlemen, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. :a14:
Certain responses had me chuckling, others out right LMAO.

:a29:

Here’s are my choices for today’s most “colourful” award:

No.1::lol: @Scooter1966 : :a14::a14:
Post shave feel was like i slapped on some gasoline and dried off with a match...

No.2 :blink::lol: @Kreator82 :
I would rather saw my own head off with fishing wire than use them again.

No.3 :lol:@GuybrushThreepwood :
the worst so far, shaving with a sickle is probably more comfortable.

No.4 @Demidog :
It was like shaving with a rusty can and I had pain for days

Encouragement awards:

@Big Burly
I just could not give these to anyone, unless I wanted slow, weeping revenge.
Sharp and bitey. Blood-letting monsters on my face.

@StanStill :
Not sure how they can cut my skin more and my whiskers less.

Top Bottom