What's new

Well-loved blades which you hate

I wouldn't use any Personna again.
Feather, never tried them, prob never will.
GSB the only blade I cut myself.
Voskhod blades, for me, very good "only!" in aggressive OC razors (Fatip,Pearl).

Derby Extra, got them in a sampler. They are just dull blades and got some bad irritation from them - never again.
Now the Derby Premium is in a whole other ball park. Head & shoulders above the Extras!

I think "hate" is way too strong a word to describe my feelings about a razor blade (I reserve that kind of emotional description for an in-law, the neighbors who let their dogs poop in my backyard, and people who fill my Twitter feed with political rants), but I haven't been able to get on with Personnas at all. No idea why. Other people love them. I've accepted that I'm a PPI guy.

I have recently found I have great disdain for Astra SP blades. They aren't that sharp, and rough on my face. My most hated blades are the Gillette 7 O'clock line. All the colors were horrible. They are rough, dull, and hacked me up. I've never been snagged by a blade so much in my life. I would rather saw my own head off with fishing wire than use them again.

Good to see that I'm not the only one. I had high hopes from reading the reviews, but they simply didn't work out for me.

So there are some blades which get mucho love in this subforum, and here below are some which come to mind.
  • Astra Superior Platinum
  • Personna Lab Blues
  • Polsilver Super Iridium
  • Feather
  • Voskhod

I find the Astras vastly overrated.

I have not used the Personna Blues, but have tried the Reds. I find the Reds to be very tuggy. I was shocked at how dull it was actually. I have to think I got a bad blade.

I find PolSilvers to be solid, but not a gift from the Gods as most portray them.

I find Feathers deserve their hype. If you want to cut down some serious growth, a Feather will do the trick even in mild razors. Once you master your technique I don't see why Feather should not be the #1 for most people.

I find Voshkods slightly overrated. I like them OK, but they're not top tier for me.

Disclaimer: I haven't given most of these blades multiple shaves, so perhaps I would change my mind after shave 3, 4, 5, etc. I realize the blades change after the coating wears off (sometimes for the better).

My favorite blade is the Nacet. It was heaven. German Wilkinson-Sword is 2nd place.

Same here, Astras sp which I've started calling asps are my least fav blades.

BICs on the other hand are starting to out muscle the feathers n even Nacets to the top.

Shark SC very irritating on second and/or third shave. Shark and Lord SS need 3 or 4 passes for a decent shave: BBS impossible. Derby forget it, Need all day for all the passes necessary, shaving is just a social norm not a career. Anything made by Gillette. they left me behind and I won't chase after them, or the girl who left me behind. I liked Personna Reds but lately I'm getting irritation, could I be developing a reaction to the platinum? Maybe. I need to try some of the Russians. especially the Teflon coated.
Lord Chromes are treating me well. Any suggestions on the Russians.

Rockwell blades - got a tuck with a Rockwell 2C I bought.
Even on plate one I couldn't get through the first pass let alone the complete shave and had to trash it.
Loaded a GSB with plate three for a fabulous, smooth finish!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Gillette 7 o 'clock. All 7 o'clock variations give me Nick's and cuts. Some irritate me well while others cut me but not my beard...

I didnt agree with
Astta greens
Feather
Personna. A 100 pack blue box

Feather cut me up and uncomfortable

Astra not very amooth

Personna i will try again but i think are a bit rough and i havent spent the time to learn them with the 2000 other blades I have.

Astra sp. I have tried them in several different razors, and they just don't work well for me. Strange, since I tend to like the same popular blades everyone else likes, and Astra sp seems to be the most popular blade out there!

Out of the much loved blades on this forums there is no such blade for me. I think you forgot to mention Gillette Silver Blue which are one of the forum members favourites.

I had a leftover Feather that I had been saving for (no idea why, I just have a habit of saving one of every blade I've tried) a couple years. For a long time I just sorta gave up on them. No matter what I do, I get 3-5 weepers and my Adam's apple area gets totally inflamed. But it's been so long, and I figured "I can handle it... my technique is way better now... I haven't had a weeper since I don't even remember when... I'll be very gentle"

Sure enough, 4 weepers, and I've got a candy red Adam's Apple. And my face isn't even smooth! Not sure how they can cut my skin more and my whiskers less.
My experience with them is similar, not exact but similar. They completely lack any smoothness...for me.
My vote goes to Feathers.

proxy.php

My experience with them is similar, not exact but similar. They completely lack any smoothness...for me.
My vote goes to Feathers.

I've never used them because I take my razors a bit more aggressive than average. After reading multiple people's experiences I am firmly convinced that I wouldn't be happy with those blades in any razor except for one also made by Feather, and I don't care to buy Feather razors, so there's no reason for me to spend money on the blades. I already have almost a dozen different easily obtainable blades that work well for me. I see no reason to keep hunting.

Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow. They’re sharp to begin with, almost too sharp. Then they go dull way too quickly.

The sweet spot between too sharp and too dull is a split second during the second pass of the second shave. It’s all downhill from there.

And QC is rubbish. I’ve had plenty of bad blades.

They’re basically a poor-man’s Feather. Worse in every way but price.

I used to tolerate them due to their initial sharpness, but as I honed my technique, the need for an ultra-sharp blade decreased. I now prefer to sacrifice initial sharpness somewhat and shave with a blade that doesn’t wildly swing from sharp to dull.

Top Bottom