What's new

Weishi 9306

As many have said, it's very mild. It's a super speed copy, and I've heard they're usually very mild as well. While I've never used a super speed, I imagine they're similar. I've only tried two razors so far: the weishi, which I had for 4 years, and a '65 Slim. The Slim on 1 is about the same as the weishi. It's great for a beginner unless the beginner has a really thick, coarse beard. I'd recommend a slim over a weishi, but the weishi is a fine tool, albeit a bit badly plated in my opinion. My weishi(gold version) looks worse in 4 years than the 51 year old Slim. Nothing serious, just some plate loss. There's a silver-colored metal underneath the gold, but it's not rusting or corroding or anything like that.

$IMG_20161012_091925.jpg

If you look closely, you can see some plate loss on some of the... sidebar? and the butterfly mechanism. It also has plate loss on the handle and the TTO knob, and some of the safety bar.

I don't have much experience with different products, razors or anything else, so I'm still a newbie in that regard, but I wish I'd had something a little more aggressive, or something adjustable to mess with. I learned a lot in the short time since I acquired the Slim that I wish I'd learned a lot sooner. And I'm enjoying my shaves much more with it. For instance, while playing around with the different settings I decided to try a 9, just to see what it would do. I learned really quickly that I'd been using too much pressure.

Also, this may just be my beard, but the weishi required too much "buffing" and touching up little areas here and there. I had more irritation with it. It got the job done. It was a quick and easy shave, and it was much better than a cartridge razor by far, but it was ultimately too mild for me.

Last edited:
In retrospect, I'm sorry I bought one. I never use it. Just succumbed to RAD.

It's one thing, for example, to pay $79 for a new Chinese copy of a 1962 Fender Stratocaster guitar, when an original 1962 Stratocaster might cost you $20000, and the $79 Chinese copy looks and even sounds and plays like the original.

It's another thing to spend $8 on a Chinese copy of a 1962 SuperSpeed, when you can find an original for twenty bucks.

Weishi makes very serviceable razors of fair to decent quality. They are not as well made as a vintage Gillette and probably won't last as long. If you like a mild razor get one or two for traveling, or to put a check on you Life List of razors.

And yes, mine shaves just like my plain Flair Tip SS.

My first razor. It's mild, but seems well made. It still gets occasional use as I like to change things up. The knurling on the handle gives an extremely secure grip. It's plated brass so that's a plus and the case that came with mine is pretty solid for use as a travel case. I can't compare it to a vintage superspeed, but my other dozen razors are all vintage and the Weishi has nothing to be ashamed of.

I've got a Weishi 9306CL
I like the feel of the extra long handle, and the "Black Pearl" (gunmetal) finish looks ultra cool
I got a very good shave with it this morning with a German Wilkinson Sword blade - my Weishi is ideal for a leisurely Sunday morning shave
I especially like using my Weishi when I'm either feeling tired or if I'm pushed for time because I've slept in and need to shave quickly on autopilot
I can get a good shave with any of the blades in my rotation, but my Weishi is at it's best with a good, sharp blade like a Bic Chrome Platinum, Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp, Personna Platinum Chrome or my personal favourite blade, a Zaza Super Stainless.

A lot of beginners knock the Weishi because they find it to be too mild when they're developing their technique
I made the same mistake myself in November 2014, upgraded to a Fatip Grande, sold my Weishi and had to develop my technique the hard way with the Fatip
I sold my Fatip Grande and bought my Weishi 9306CL just before Christmas last year, and was blown away by how good it was - living proof that a bad workman always blames his tools
With good technique, a Weishi is a very efficient razor if it is used properly

Next time somebody who shaves with a Weishi refers to it as a stupid or useless razor - you've got my full permission to say "Are you sure it's not just the person who's using it"
Then duck :lol:

$20160903_105319.jpg$20160903_105349.jpg

I've got a Weishi that I keep as a backup and travel razor. It's not terrible, but I prefer more aggressive razors. I'll throw it in rotation tomorrow and see if it's as mediocre as I remember. I think it's been about a year since I used it.. about the same time I started DE shaving.

I bought the VDH branded one about five months ago or so as my first DE razor and it's served me well. I've since picked up a Merkur 34c and RR Tech II but I still use the Weishi (in fact it's on deck for tomorrow). It's a good razor.

I have no plans of ever using my Weishi again(except maybe as a travel razor, if I ever travel again...), simply because the slim set to 1 is pretty much the exact same thing anyway, but it is far from stupid or useless.

It's served me well over the last 4 years, and it's still going strong, even if it is a little beat up, which is more than I can say for a lot of products that cost more money I've used over the years(not shaving products, but I don't doubt there are some of those too)

I've thought about giving it away to a complete newbie who's never tried ANY DE before, but I don't know how to approach a coworker or friend and say "hey, wanna try my used razor?" without sounding insane.

To be fair to Weishi, you can't really compare gold to nickel plating. Gold plating is clearly much softer and easily removed by just using the razor. The gold plating on most old Gillettes didn't really stand up very well unless the razor was lightly used.

Top Bottom