What's new

Weird shave experience

I lathered up picked up my rockwell 6c (R6) on a 2nd use kai blade alot of pulling so I switched to a new kai, slightly less tugging so I just pushed through and I was able to achieve a smooth shave but with tugging and pulling but the weird part was zero irritation......am I missing something?

Sounds like the type of shave I get when using a Kai blade......rough and tugging. They don't work well for me. Do you normally use Kai blades? Were you using a new soap or anything different? Could it be a couple of dud blades?

I get that feeling when using Treet Black Beauty blades. Carbon steel, feels a bit tuggy during the shave, but zero aftershave burn.

I have two razors, Timeless .95 and a FOCS, and have used a Kai blade in both several times. I get completely different shaving experiences with the Kai blade in the two razors.

In the Timeless, the Kai blade tugs uncomfortably the entire shave, all three passes but leaves me with a pretty close and pretty smooth shave with no irritation. It gets the job done and no issues afterwards but not enjoyable during the shave.

With the FOCS though, it’s like a hot knife through butter on all three passes and is the closest and smoothest shave of any blade and razor combo I have tried. I get no irritation with this combo and get double the shaves per blade with this combo over my next closest.

This reinforces the YMMV and how different blades perform differently for different peoples skin as well as different razors.

I have two razors, Timeless .95 and a FOCS, and have used a Kai blade in both several times. I get completely different shaving experiences with the Kai blade in the two razors.

In the Timeless, the Kai blade tugs uncomfortably the entire shave, all three passes but leaves me with a pretty close and pretty smooth shave with no irritation. It gets the job done and no issues afterwards but not enjoyable during the shave.

With the FOCS though, it’s like a hot knife through butter on all three passes and is the closest and smoothest shave of any blade and razor combo I have tried. I get no irritation with this combo and get double the shaves per blade with this combo over my next closest.

This reinforces the YMMV and how different blades perform differently for different peoples skin as well as different razors.
what is the FOCS? sounds expensive 😅

what is the FOCS? sounds expensive 😅

It’s an Italian razor, Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant, also know as the Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS). It’s a fantastic razor that performs well above its affordable price.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
KAI blades are at the top of my list of blades, and the only blades I'm willing to spend $34 per 100.
I get about seven equally smooth great shaves from each blade.

KAI blades are at the top of my list of blades, and the only blades I'm willing to spend $34 per 100.
I get about seven equally smooth great shaves from each blade.
yea I was the same as well I got a 50 pack recently but also as of recently I have been shaving alot more 3-4 times a week compared to before [once per week] and idk maybe my beard is getting tougher the more I shave but I'm only getting 1 good shave out of it compared to 4-5 shaves out of a blade
I think maybe its times to upgrade to feather but I will keep trying to improve what I can with what I have for now which is my angle technique or my lather or both or look into an open comb
Many variables but that also means many potentially great shaves

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
yea I was the same as well I got a 50 pack recently but also as of recently I have been shaving alot more 3-4 times a week compared to before [once per week] and idk maybe my beard is getting tougher the more I shave but I'm only getting 1 good shave out of it compared to 4-5 shaves out of a blade
I think maybe its times to upgrade to feather but I will keep trying to improve what I can with what I have for now which is my angle technique or my lather or both or look into an open comb
Many variables but that also means many potentially great shaves
I like Feather blades also, but I only use them for three shaves per blade.
It might be worth a try to see how Feather blades work for you, and perhaps work on your technique also as you said. The Rockwell 6C is a great razor, and I've found Feather blades work fantastic in both the 6C and 6S.
I still remember the first time I put a feather blade in my 6C, it was like they were made for each other.
Best of luck, and great shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I lathered up picked up my rockwell 6c (R6) on a 2nd use kai blade alot of pulling so I switched to a new kai, slightly less tugging so I just pushed through and I was able to achieve a smooth shave but with tugging and pulling but the weird part was zero irritation......am I missing something?
I like the Kai SS blade sharp & smooth and a lot of folks do not realize it is a wider blade than a Standard Gillette blade so you will get more blade feel or blade exposure. They measure wider 9/1000 or 4.5/1000 of inch per side on a DE razor which should give a different kind of shave. The Kai are ideal for mild razors or if a fellow wants a boost in aggression on his regular razor he enjoys. The longevity of a Kai blade is great IMO. YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide.jpg

Top Bottom