What's new

We should start a petition to P&G to bring back Old Spice in glass bottles

Who's with me? I thought about emailing them but was too lazy. You can create a petition on Petitiononline.com and then send it to someone when it reaches a designated number of signatures. I'd do it but I'm busy now. If no one else creates one, I'll do it. I for one much prefer the glass bottles over plastic and would be willing to pay a bit more for it.

It was a cost issue, kind of like at where I work. One of my bosses would love cheaper labor but he doesn't want to move to Mexico. He can't speak Spanish and doesn't like the water. If they would make him drink the local h2o, I might vote for the move.

Would you be willing to pay more for the same product in a glass bottle?
--

That's what it comes down to. I know a lot of us would - that glass bottle has historical/sentimental/memory value to it, which makes an additional cost perhaps reasonable.

But for most consumers who just buy the AS because 'its cheap and gets the job done,' they might not agree with us, and since I imagine they are the majority, the plastic bottle makes sense.

I also have not seen the new plastic bottles. Is it the same price as the old glass style?

If so, that is something that I would be compelled to email them about. A company cutting costs for their benefit at my expense would have me looking elsewhere (ie: same product, same amount, but in less valuable container).

My $0.02

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Not me. I prefer plastic bottles, most of the time. They are so much less likely to break when you drop them in the sink.

Besides, aside from the added cost, all the extra energy it takes to make glass only burns more fuel unnecessarily.

I agree that citing costs is a poor argument cause they could have just charged a bit more for it. Besides, like someone else mentioned in another thread, it was mainly expensive because they had to import a special sand from Egypt. Like he said, I would gladly take Old spice in glass if it meant a slightly different-colored bottle. Anyways, Old Spice has been in business forever, and has never had a problem with this before. And they certainly aren't running out of sand. It sounds like P&G just want to make more money.

Maybe they're gonna start selling glass ones as "limited editions", perhaps during the holidays. Like with Mountain Dew and the tons of drinks they advertise as "limited time only", but they always bring them back [read: Code Red (also known as wonderful deliciousness)].

Since they went to plastic, I've said they should offer the plastic and the glass bottles. I'd pay a buck or two more for the glass. As it is now, I'm pretty stingy with the two glass bottles I have. Once they're gone, I'll save the bottles but I doubt I'll buy more in the plastic.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I agree that citing costs is a poor argument cause they could have just charged a bit more for it. Besides, like someone else mentioned in another thread, it was mainly expensive because they had to import a special sand from Egypt. Like he said, I would gladly take Old spice in glass if it meant a slightly different-colored bottle. Anyways, Old Spice has been in business forever, and has never had a problem with this before. And they certainly aren't running out of sand. It sounds like P&G just want to make more money.

Maybe they're gonna start selling glass ones as "limited editions", perhaps during the holidays. Like with Mountain Dew and the tons of drinks they advertise as "limited time only", but they always bring them back [read: Code Red (also known as wonderful deliciousness)].

Nothing wrong with that. I hope they make lots more. I still own a few shares of their stock. :biggrin:

I prefer glass and would pay a little more for the glass bottles. I have a glass bottle of Old Spice now and will refill it when it becomes necessary.

I'm not so sure about the extra energy commit. I wonder if anyone has compared the energy footprint on a glass bottle with a plastic bottle. Plastic is a refined petroleum product requiring oil production, refinery's and great transportation costs. Glass on the other hand can be fired with only natural gas. Would be interesting to know.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I prefer glass and would pay a little more for the glass bottles. I have a glass bottle of Old Spice now and will refill it when it becomes necessary.

I'm not so sure about the extra energy commit. I wonder if anyone has compared the energy footprint on a glass bottle with a plastic bottle. Plastic is a refined petroleum product requiring oil production, refinery's and great transportation costs. Glass on the other hand can be fired with only natural gas. Would be interesting to know.

I'm sure the overall energy footprint for the plastic is less. Plus, recycling costs for glass are about the same as making from raw materials. Recycling of plastic takes much less energy.

Maybe they could just market the plastic bottles as "refill" packages!

Here's the thing... Hopefully they'll still offer glass bottles during the holidays so as to make for nicer "gift" packages. If not, then they aren't being very loyal to their customers. If I'm going to have to take the time to refill my bottle if I want to keep the tactile experience, then why should I refill it with genuine Old Spice? Why shouldn't I "cut costs" and buy the Dollar Tree stuff that smells exactly the same but costs half as much? It comes in a plastic bottle too.

Top Bottom