What's new

Waterman Phileas

I loaded this to the FB page so some may have already seen it. Anyways, my sister stopped at a garage sale on Saturday morning on a whim before coming over. She has snagged me a couple shaving items in the past, but she picked this up knowing I like fountain pens. Up to this point all I have are chinese $4 pens I've found randomly that either leak or have broken bladers. But, I carry them anyways! She was worried she paid too much! Get this, she got this NIB Waterman "beginners" kit for $5! I've found them online for $175+!! The "missing" cartridge is already in the pen because I got too excited before snapping a photo.:001_tt1: The photo loaded sideways, and I don't know how to flip it (Off site photo hosting is blocked here at work :blushing:) How are these pens? I love it and have been writing all night with it here at work!

$IMG_20120617_124611.jpg

Well that's one heck of a deal there.
Have you written with it yet?

You might want to flush it out first if you haven't already.
A great score that's for sure.

strop

Now half as wise
They are great pens! I have 2. Replacement nibs/section units are still available as well, even though the pen is no longer in production.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice find, those kits were plentiful even at places like Office Max up until about 8 years ago. Yours looks like it may be older as the carts show some ink loss from evaporation (although that could happen quickly in Arizona). They used to retail between $40 and $60.

Nice pen and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I think you owe your sister lunch. :chef:

They are great pens! I have 2. Replacement nibs/section units are still available as well, even though the pen is no longer in production.

Where can you get replacement parts? I picked up a Waterman Phileas recently and am having issues with it. It seems to leak and not write most of the time. I've since set it aside and just use my Lamy Al-star.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Where can you get replacement parts? I picked up a Waterman Phileas recently and am having issues with it. It seems to leak and not write most of the time. I've since set it aside and just use my Lamy Al-star.

They're not cheap and come from France, PM me and I'll give you some help.

Waterman Phileas is a very nice beginners pen. Engraved stainless steel nib with a gold wash over half.

Like all Waterman fountain pens they write marvelously. You should enjoy it.

I recently sold a Waterman Phileas fountain pen and roller ball set on BST in Malachite swirl (green) yours is blue which is the most common color.

drocu said:
Where can you get replacement parts? I picked up a Waterman Phileas recently and am having issues with it. It seems to leak and not write most of the time.

Sounds like a good soaking, flushing, and cleaning is in order. I would try that before replacing things.

strop

Now half as wise

I had a cracked section on mine. The US Waterman/Parker repair center had a replacement. They only have the nib/section as a single unit. $30 shipped. Took about 2 weeks to get.

Phone 1-800-628-1910

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Like turtle said, a thorough cleaning ought to do it ... and maybe an ink change. Good info Mark.

Great pen. It was my first real fountain pen purchased not too long ago. Super smooth writer. Mine is loaded with Noodler's Bad Blue Heron right now.

I had a pseudo-complete set of black, green, red, and blue (there is also a very limited grey I know of but never had) until I sold the blue and green used for some amount north of $30 (I think $70 for the pair to the same person). I'm keeping the black and red for a while. Unlike the Waterman Kultur which looks similar but has consistently bedeviled me, the Phileas and its cousin the Harley Davidson pen that looks just like it have been great for me. I have all three Harley variants I know of in addition to the red and black pair at this point.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Unlike the Waterman Kultur which looks similar but has consistently bedeviled me ...

What happened? I like the Kultur, not quite as well as the Phileas, and they are pretty much the same pen minus some trim and a little weight. Great pens!

I remember about ten years ago importing a dozen of them in various colors (not the new clear ones) from Holland and I think I sold them for $12 to $15. Wish I had 'em now! The Harley ones sell easily.

Every Kultur I have had barely writes and acts like it needs major nib adjustment. I sold one on FPN with full warning, and the guy I sold it to agreed there is just something weird going on with the pen. I have had 3 or 4 of them and they're just not good in the nib department. All of my other models that aren't Kulturs are great (Phileas or H-D).

Top Bottom