What's new

Wasp nest adventure

Meanwhile, swmbo tells me that she wants me to run all the way around to the front door instead of coming in the back because she doesn't want wasps in the house. Sigh.

LOL, women. Doesn't care if you get stung to death as long as a stray wasp doesn't make it into the house. :idea:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had a chance to look, it is about the size of a big grapefruit, but the best part is that it is in a spot where I can get it between planks with the long nozzle of a can of wasp spray. Anyone have experience with shooting spray directly into the nest?

I am just about fixing to die of wasp stings. Meanwhile, swmbo tells me that she wants me to run all the way around to the front door instead of coming in the back because she doesn't want wasps in the house. Sigh.

:lol:

"You're bleeding! I don't want that on the carpet! Use the extension in the Garage to phone 911!" I sympathize my friend.

Just for the record - that is not a picture of the nest in question. I haven't even seen it really well yet since I have to take some lattice off the side of my deck to get around to where I can see it. Right now all I know is there is a nest in there and roughly where it is.

So you would have to get up close to spray it? If thats the case you may want to call a pro.

Before you go any further, make sure that what you're dealing with are actually wasps. Different insects call for specific pesticides, and you want to be certain to select the right weapon for the job. Google a few images of wasp and hornet and yellowjacket nests and beehives and match up what's under your deck to the pictures.

More than likely, the opening to the nest is on the bottom, and probably isn't accessible if you shoot down through the deck. They grow at an astounding rate, and if its the size of a softball today, it could be the size of a soccer ball by the end of the week.

You might be able to shimmy up under the deck and squirt it from the bottom. Wear a lot of protective clothing, even though it will be hot and uncomfortable, and get out of there as fast as you can.

And +100 to all those that say to do it after the sun goes down. You want all the wasps to be at home in the nest and ready to go to sleep for the night.

From what I remember, it is best to apply the spray at or around dusk so that most of the wasps are back in the hive. That way you'll get the majority of them in one shot.

And do not destroy the nest for a week or two.

If you knock the nest down, those who "weren't home" will begin rebuilding almost immediately at the same location.
If you kill the nest, when the others return "home" and find the dead nest, they will move on.

Pressure washer will knock the nest down, and will leave you with a yard of REALLY upset wasps or hornets.

I've used the 20' spray any number of times. Dusk is when you want to attack. That will assure that everybody's home. It's basically a volatile hydrocarbon and it kills/incapacitates them on contact. I believe the product is made by Raid. I doubt you'll have a problem if you don't disturb or alert them by a clumsy approach. I wouldn't recommend a blind spray-through-the-cracks approach. You have to douse them directly with the liquid. They don't even try to fly if you do. They just drop dead in a humane and painless sort of way. They don't even have time to scream.

Spray at night, like folks have said. Depending on where you live, consider contacting an ag extension to see if there are entomologists around that might want it.

As to the pressure washer option, there are a few steps that must be taken to ensure it works.

1. Wear bright colors. The brighter the better.
2. Lots of exposed skin makes the water work better.
3. It is critical to be as close to the nest as you can.
4. All of the above will ONLY work if you have someone videotape the event for later study.

Spray at night, like folks have said. Depending on where you live, consider contacting an ag extension to see if there are entomologists around that might want it.

As to the pressure washer option, there are a few steps that must be taken to ensure it works.

1. Wear bright colors. The brighter the better.
2. Lots of exposed skin makes the water work better.
3. It is critical to be as close to the nest as you can.
4. All of the above will ONLY work if you have someone videotape the event for later study.

Funny, swmbo said almost the same thing and offered to do the videotaping (from inside).

I had "a few" buzzing around me when I was working on the bike. Only thing I had handy was a can of Liquid Wrench penetrating oil.
I shot a stream near them... not even a direct hit, but they both dropped like a rock.
WD40 should be almost as effective.

Pyrethrin is supposed to be good according to this reality show that used to be on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just drop the few bucks on a can of Raid with the long distance spray. It works well, is cheap enough and is really good fun when you get after it. I had a blast killing the little buggers when I was a kid. I like trying to shoot them down in flight. If you **** them off, run away for a bit, but then come back. A lot of times they're outside the nest doing repairs, burying the dead, or whatever they do after an NCB attack and you can tag them again.

and then a shot of wasp/hornet spray in the vac after they are all sucked out.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only way is to place a cup of Wild Turkey 101 near the nest, They will drink it, when they pass out stomp em'. If they sting you drink the rest of the bottle. It'll still hurt but you wont care.

OMG I laughed so hard Coffee came out of my nose.

swmbo tells me that she wants me to run all the way around to the front door instead of coming in the back because she doesn't want wasps in the house. Sigh.

I suspect the front door will also be locked when you reach it with the swarm of wasps right behind you. This kind of thing happens all the time in horror movies. Don't fall for it!

Top Bottom