What's new

Washcloths

What washcloths do we use in the shower? I've seen a Japanese one being linked around the forum, but I can't remember the name. These might be useful for travel as well, as they fold flat.

Recently, I said something to my son about using a wash cloth, and he said he didn't use one. I thought everyone used a wash cloth while showering or bathing! After an informal survey of about 10 of my acquaintances, I found out that many people do not use a wash cloth.

I don't understand not using a wash cloth. One of life's mysteries...

I think it provides a certain abrasive, scrubbing feeling needed to remove the dead skin,dirt and oils. Loofah would too, but I always feel more clean with a wash cloth then without such as when all of ours are in the wash.

Recently, I said something to my son about using a wash cloth, and he said he didn't use one. I thought everyone used a wash cloth while showering or bathing! After an informal survey of about 10 of my acquaintances, I found out that many people do not use a wash cloth.

I'm with you on that one, Larry.

I used to use a washcloth when I was a kid - rather, my mother used one on me when I was a kid.

Since then I stopped using any sort of scrubber for many years, and just recently rediscovered the joys of using a pouf with nicely scented vegetable oil based French triple milled soaps (like Pre de Provence and others) in the shower. This is so much nicer than using shower gel - I can't believe I went down that shower gel route.

I think a pouf is a lot nicer than a washcloth in the shower. It produces a lot more lather and exfoliates better. I'm comparing the pouf to a cotton terrycloth washcloth, here.

If you're talking about those Japanese exfoliating cloths that are made out of a woven nylon material, those can be nice, too. My GF has one in her shower, as well as a pair of gloves made out of the same material. They don't make as much lather as a pouf, and they are more abrasive than a pouf, as well. They're great exfoliaters, but may be too aggressive if you choose a harder grade.

You can find the Japanese style washcloths on Amazon if you type in Salux Japanese Nylon in the search field. There are other makers, but this one came up first when I did a search. They run around $3.50.

http://www.amazon.com/Salux-Nylon-J...DG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1290012305&sr=8-11

If you're lucky enough to have a Daiso (a Japanese discount store where everything is about $1.50) in your town, you can find them there. I think these would be a great traveling solution since they dry fast and pack down flat.

The only situation where I could see a cotton terrycloth washcloth working well is if you're washing your face in the sink and need some light scrubbing/exfoliation. Otherwise, for the shower I would think a pouf/loofah/Japanese washcloth would be a better choice.

Outside of a washing context, my mother would use a cotton terrycloth washcloth to cool down our foreheads when we had fevers. She would wet it with cold water, and fold it over lengthwise twice so it made a narrow strip. Then she'd lay it across our foreheads.

Last edited:
Whether using soap or body wash, I don't feel clean when I shower without using a washcloth. They don't have to be fancy, just 100% cotton and not too thin. I buy them by the 10 pack at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I use a standard cotton washcloth on my face, and a pouf/loofah for the rest of me. I can't stand showering without one, as I just don't feel clean.

I'm reinventing how I bath. My entire life I've used a bar soap and washcloth as that is how I was taught.

I tried a poof and body wash and I don't like it. I can't really describe it, but I just don't feel as clean or satisfied with my shower. The body wash I associate with can shave cream. I'm not comfortable with the poof in my groin, armpits or my face. It just did not work out for me.

I recently moved on to a shower brush and so far it is a winner. I'm not sure if it exfoliates as much as sisal/poof or even a wash cloth for that matter. It advertises exfoliation, but who knows.

It's strange around the ears and eyes, and unlike the poof the more I use it the more I like it. It's better in the groin area as far as feeling and the perception of cleanliness, but I think a washcloth will be the winner forever in that area. I want to try a sisal/ayute as well.

I'm so happy to have used a brush to wash my body rather then a wash cloth. Showers have gotten a bit longer, but I feel pampered when I'm done.

I typically don't use one, and I've never had an issue feeling clean. Of course, most days I just don't get that dirty. If I'm out doing a lot of work in the yard or garage, I may use one to make sure I get all the dirt/dust/etc. off, but otherwise soap and water work fine.

I don't feel like I've lathered up and cleaned properly using a washcloth, tried it again this morning after reading this yesterday. I just feel more satisfied rubbing the bar across my skin till it lathers.

I also feel a lot of soap got wasted trapped in the washcloth fibers...

TheShaun

Bejeweled
I have been using ones from the body shop for about 10 years now. I usually buy 2 per year. they are about 3 feet long. You can find them in the store rolled up in a couple places usually.

Hi everybody. I have problems with my skin, especially when I'm under a lot of stress my skin starts acting up. I've tried many products but nothing really helped me. I've read an interseting article about a miraculous Japanese washcloth on this site This Magical Japanese Washcloth Will Help You to Have Flawless Skin – Beauty Tips and Tricks. They say that many famous people are using these washclothes and that they are not so expensive. Do you have any experience with this product?

Whether using soap or body wash, I don't feel clean when I shower without using a washcloth. They don't have to be fancy, just 100% cotton and not too thin. I buy them by the 10 pack at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
same for me, and just a nice hard bath soap bar is all I need.

The only possible way I wouldn't use one is if the body wash had scrubbing beads or something. And loofahs and puffs remain just...odd to me. I've tried to like them but just can't.

Top Bottom