What's new

Want to try kamisori, advices

Hi all,
I've got into straight razor shaving few months ago, after many years of using SE Feather with variety of razors, from Cobra to Asylum and everything in between (and beyond) . I am now getting a reasonably good shaves.
I would like to try kamisori with assymetric/Japanese grind. Any achides with which brand to start to get a good shave and not to empty bank account? Is there only one type of assymetric grind or few of them, like 1/4 hollow, extra hollow etc? How do I strip it? Are traditional assymetric kamisory will be sharper then extra hollow western style?
Thanks a lot in advance.

It is a surprisingly hard question. Even for this shaver who uses mostly kamisoris. I got my start by throwing money at an Iwasaki, and relying on my knife sharpening skills to get me started into honing.

I have since learned that many makers used comparable steel, and you can find very viable used kamisoris on eBay for not too much money. But they are not shave ready, whatever the listing may say. I guess there could be exceptions, but I kind of doubt it.

Do you have honing skills? If so, it all gets much easier.

If not, I'm not sure what to suggest, and I hope that others have ideas.

I have the impression that you may live in my area (think javalinas); if so, PM me and maybe I can help you out.

I have just ordered two kamisoris: Yamamasa and Henkotsu. There are a few other well regarded names out there. I will receive them by the end of this week. One has been honed by the vendor and the other is NOS that I will have to hone. I understand that they are sharper than the typical western bevel. And they are honed differently, as the omote side is lapped approximately 7 times for every time the ura side is lapped. So these are new terms for you: omote and ura. Go to B&B's Kamisori Korner to read up. Most of what you need to know is there. Here is the link:

Thanks a lot for all responded. Unfortunately, I don't have honing skills, so I will need to send it for honing. I am considering buying things needed for the 'method' by Stash McCoy to be able to hone my regular razor, but I don't know if it canbe used for kamisori

Thanks a lot for all responded. Unfortunately, I don't have honing skills, so I will need to send it for honing. I am considering buying things needed for the 'method' by Stash McCoy to be able to hone my regular razor, but I don't know if it canbe used for kamisori

Yes it can. I use the Method pasted balsa strops on my kamisoris, and the results are superb. I'd expect the other parts of The Method to work as well.

After viewing your post, I started a thread here on my first kamisori. Coincidentally, my first kamisori arrived at the same time you posted. Check it out. And yes, as @Herrenberg says, once the kamisori is honed you can maintain it with the method.

After viewing your post, I started a thread here on my first kamisori. Coincidentally, my first kamisori arrived at the same time you posted. Check it out. And yes, as @Herrenberg says, once the kamisori is honed you can maintain it with the method.
Thanks a lot, going to read you thread today

Top Bottom