What's new

Vulfix 2233 good for a first brush?

R

RichardN

Hello, all. First post for me here and I'm interested in starting to wet shave. I purchased the tools I'd need from classicshaving.com (how are they regarded?) but the Vulfix brush I chose (2197, I believe) felt too rough (though I tested this before I made it wet) and so I sent all the stuff back except the proraso shaving cream (which works a lot better than canned cream just using my fingers to lather).

Now, I am wanting to order a new set and was thinking about the 2233. I've heard lots of complaints of it being floppy, etc. Though I have very smooth skin and don't think I need a real rugged brush (and based on how I felt about the 2197, would a softer brush likely be better for me?). I would like to get the C&E BBB but there are no C&Es close to me and I can't find any online. (Is the Art of Shaving "equivalent" pretty close, or no?)

Should I be alright with the 2233 as my first brush or is there another that could be better? (I'll also be on the look out for the C&E BBB but need something to use till then, if I ever find it)

Thanks.

After looking around a bit more, there's a lot of praise for the Rooney 3:1 (style 3, size 1?). Would that be a much better choice?

My first badger brush was a 2233. I still have it, but I almost never use it anymore. It is absolutely too floppy.

Tim

Hello Richard, Welcome to B&B. Nice to have you.

I have nothing but good things to say about Classicshaving.com. That is where I purchased my Vulfix when I started out. I have also purchased creams, aftershaves and cologne from them. Never a problem.

I love my Vulfix, it is a fine brush. It is floppy but that isn't a bad thing. The C&EBBB is also an excellent brush, just different. These things are personal preferances and you might not like the same things I like in a brush but you won't be disappointed in either one.

Don't worry yourself too much over these things. You seem to have a good idea of where you want to go so just go with it.

Half the fun of this adventure is trying new things and finding excuses to buy more stuff!

Good luck and have fun.

Happy New Year!

Welcome to B&B, you have found a great forum here

I have been wet shaving for less then a year. The Vulfix 2233 was my first brush purchased from Jim at Vintage Blades. The brush came with samples of Dr Harris Arlington Shave cream & Castle Forbes Lime Shave Cream). Top notch vendor as echoed by many at B&B. Sorry I digress.

I will begin by saying I Love my Vulfix 2233 and still do. I believe the 2233 is a Lathering Champ. :velva2:

It whips creams into creamy, bountiful, heaps of lather with ease IMHO. I think because it is great at holding so much water. Probably, thats why the description "moppy" is so often used to describe the 2233. Yes, I would agree it is a floppy brush as I discovered after purchasing a second brush, but due to different loft & knot sizes between the two. The 2233 I would say does not have as much back-bone as a result. But I certainly agree with the previous post, this isnt necessarily a bad thing. I tried it on a puck of Williams soap and it had enough back-bone to load the brush and again, build great lather.

Also, I find the Vulfix 2233 feels very nice on the face. I dont find it scritchy. I would say it its not for one who wants their brush to feel like its exfoliating at the same time. It is definately great for smooth skin.

Personally, I was happy to have started my Wet Shaving journey with the Vulfix 2233. I think it is a terrific brush to start with. I beleive the Vulfix 2233 is very capable foundation of aiding BBS shaves and yet at the same time adding a luxurious element to the whole experinece - all at a terrific price point. If one decided this was the brush for them, I believe its a brush that one could be happy with, if it was the only brush they used day in & day out, all the while, taking comfort in knowing they are not missing out on anything else.

In the end, just depends what one wants out a brush but I believe a Wet Shaver wouldnt be disappointed with purchasing a Vulfix 2233 either way.

vulfix makes a good quality brush. I used a 2234 for quite some time, and find it to be a nice brush. It may not be as dense as others, it will whip up lather easily. The super grade of hair is a good step up from pure. I never felt it to be scratchy or irritating. It does what a brush is suppposed to do, and does it well. I am sure at some point you will venture on to other brushes out of curiosity, and you may find that you prefer other characteristics, but as a first brush you should be pleased.

Hi Richard

I bought a Vulfix 2236 super with a 26mm knot and it is very soft, especially once it gets broken in. This brush was suppose to be my final replacement from my worn out brush that I bought since I was sixteen. I have been wet shaving for 30 years now. I made a wrong choice, but mostly in knot size. I am a 220lb 5' 10" size person and I learned that this knot size feels too big for my face and feel like a mop. Vulfix is a quality and an excellent brush and it is floppy and really blooms out. However, I have learn to make adjustment and change my technic in order to get excellent results. I would have been happy with it, except for its' knot size. Vulfix are a fantasic brush for creams and its ok for soaps. Some members claim, because it is so airy that these brushes are excellent in places that are very, very humid, which is a problem for drying highly dense shaving brushes.

I highly recommend a good reading, in one of the forum that compares the pros and cons of knot sizes and different grades and quality in the badgers brushes. My needs are an all rounder, one brush for the next 30 years. So that means I am willing to pay good money for a premium, medium size knot, handmade silver tip badger brush that is much denser pack than a Vulfix. I want a brush that is best suited for soaps and has a backbone with really soft tips and has superior water holding ability; That is my personal preferance. What I encourage you to do is continue reading and asking questions that will lead you to make the best logical choice for your preferance and needs. It comes down to personal taste and you might have to go through a brush or two to find it. Some, like one of my friends, like the boar brush the best because he like the feel of its hard scubbing actions. To each to his own. Good luck

Welcome to B&B, you have found a great forum here

I have been wet shaving for less then a year. The Vulfix 2233 was my first brush purchased from Jim at Vintage Blades. The brush came with samples of Dr Harris Arlington Shave cream & Castle Forbes Lime Shave Cream). Top notch vendor as echoed by many at B&B. Sorry I digress.

I will begin by saying I Love my Vulfix 2233 and still do. I believe the 2233 is a Lathering Champ. :velva2:

It whips creams into creamy, bountiful, heaps of lather with ease IMHO. I think because it is great at holding so much water. Probably, thats why the description "moppy" is so often used to describe the 2233. Yes, I would agree it is a floppy brush as I discovered after purchasing a second brush, but due to different loft & knot sizes between the two. The 2233 I would say does not have as much back-bone as a result. But I certainly agree with the previous post, this isnt necessarily a bad thing. I tried it on a puck of Williams soap and it had enough back-bone to load the brush and again, build great lather.

Also, I find the Vulfix 2233 feels very nice on the face. I dont find it scritchy. I would say it its not for one who wants their brush to feel like its exfoliating at the same time. It is definately great for smooth skin.

Personally, I was happy to have started my Wet Shaving journey with the Vulfix 2233. I think it is a terrific brush to start with. I beleive the Vulfix 2233 is very capable foundation of aiding BBS shaves and yet at the same time adding a luxurious element to the whole experinece - all at a terrific price point. If one decided this was the brush for them, I believe its a brush that one could be happy with, if it was the only brush they used day in & day out, all the while, taking comfort in knowing they are not missing out on anything else.

In the end, just depends what one wants out a brush but I believe a Wet Shaver wouldnt be disappointed with purchasing a Vulfix 2233 either way.
Well said. I totally agree. I have two Vulfix 2233 brushes and continue to use them regularly.

Dave

p.s. Vulfix Sandalwood shave cream is also a favorite. Well worth trying.

Top Bottom