What's new

Vtg Gillette DE razors-newbie help, please

I found three old Gillette DE razors in an antique shop this morning... they seemed cheap and clean and am hoping someone can help me figure out what I've got. Blades are changed by unscrewing the handle and lifting off the top two parts. Two are more light-weight and say Gillette on the top. They are both silver colored with a ball shape on the bottom of the handle, but one has a 3" handle and the short one has a 2" handle. The other razor is heavier, doesn't say Gillette on the top. The top part of the razor is silver colored and the middle part is brass colored and has comb edges. On the bottom of the brass comb part, it says Gillette in tiny letters. Any information would be appreciated. I'm trying to attach a picture, but it's my first try here, so I'm unsure if it'll work. Thanks

album.php

View attachment 71089

The little one is a travel razor
The one in the middle is a ball end tech
The last one looks like a NEW head on an aluminum TECH handle
not 100% sure.

The third razor has a New De Luxe guard but I have a feeling the cap doesn't go with it. The fat Tech handle certainly doesn't belong. We need a close-up photo of the inside of the guard and cap and a side view of the assembled razor. It doesn't look like it's a fit.

Len

Here are three other pics of that third razor. All three parts of it look equally as old as the others. The top part definitely looks old and doesn't say "Gillette" on the top like the other two. Maybe either because it isn't a Gillette part (the brass part does say Gillette) or because the older Gillettes didn't say Gillette on the top?? Thanks for your help.

razor open1.jpg (26.1 KB)View attachment 71097

razor open 2.jpg (26.9 KB)

razor side view.jpg (22.8 KB)

Good razors to start out with, you have to begin somewhere and this is as good a place as any. Have a little fun trying them out with a few different blades.

the third is a Franken, but it is Gillette. The handle is from a Tech (they made fat handle and ball end versions). The blade guard (with the teeth) is a New Deluxe piece, and I suspect the cap is from a Tech (they didn't always have the logo). I just checked the cap from my NewDeluxe against the cap from an early fat handled Tech, they appear to have nearly identical profiles, the only visible difference (besids finish and material) is the bar on the underside of the head is longer on the New. If it fits the slot in the blade base securely (ie: does not have slop and allow rotation or being not square with the base) then there should be no worries in shaving with it, and it should perform just like it would with the correct cap. (I didt't check the fit on mine, as my Deluxe has not yet been cleaned up, and my Tech is shave ready).

OK, now you want to soak these in some very hot water (don't boil them) then take an old toothbrush and some bathroom tile cleaner and give them a good scrub. If you want, follow up with a dip in some rubbing alcohol.

They should clean up really nicely.

- Chris

........ and doesn't say "Gillette" on the top like the other two. Maybe either because it isn't a Gillette part (the brass part does say Gillette) or because the older Gillettes didn't say Gillette on the top?? Thanks for your help.

Most Gillette's don't say Gillette on the cap, only the Tech which was made from 1939 on, and only some of them.

Len

Thanks, guys, I appreciate you sharing your wisdom with me. Also at the antique store there were a couple of more expensive older razors (one DE and one SE) - on one razor, it said "Gold Tech" ($10.), and on the other it said "AutoStrop Safety Razor" ($15.). What say you about these? Thanks again.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate you sharing your wisdom with me. Also at the antique store there were a couple of more expensive older razors (one DE and one SE) - on one razor, it said "Gold Tech" ($10.), and on the other it said "AutoStrop Safety Razor" ($15.). What say you about these? Thanks again.

Yip the AutoStrop would only be a novelty nowadays but the gold Tech would be a fine razor to look at OR shave with. I agree with the chorus that your third razor is a NEW head on a Tech handle. Frankenrazor but a good combo.
Wp

I agree with the chorus that your third razor is a NEW head on a Tech handle. Frankenrazor but a good combo.
Wp

This style of Frankenrazor is very common. Many of the NEWS had a Ball End handle, that due to a design flaw developed cracks in the barrel of the handle. Just about all of these handles have cracked over time.

A user who liked the New head more than that of the Tech, simple took the handle off of a new tech, as the handles of all of the 3 piece Gillette's were interchangeable. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom