What's new

Vintage Watch

I'm looking for a vintage watch on Ebay, and would like some suggestions.
I don't want to pay more that $250 for the watch plus any repairs or restorations.
I'd like a classic, plain-face, round watch (not tank style) that I can wear regularly.

Any ideas as to how to go about this? How do I know how much work may be required on an used watch?

I would suggest both asking this question, and possibly purchasing from a watch forum. Used watches on EBay sound like a crapshoot unless you really know what your doing. Likely to get a straight deal from an enthusiast, or at least more likely.

Good luck!

Mark

Decide on a maker or two that you like, then search for those. Choose an eBay seller with very good feedback.

I would suggest a search or two for vintage hamilton or bulova watches. See what comes up and find a model or two you like. Then search on those models. At your price point, most of what's available will be manual wind, not automatic. The sellers' descriptions often mention if the watch has been serviced and/or if it keeps time. Note, a "working" watch may not keep time. Also note that vintage watches tend to be a bit smaller than watches that are currently in style. Hope this helps some. Happy hunting, and please let us see what you find!

I would also look on some watch forums. While there are many good vendors on ebay there is also a lot of junk - especially in the vintage watch department. It's often hard to get parts for out of production watches and there are numerous potential problems with poorly implemented repairs. Watch Recon has lots of interesting used watches at all prices. All the vendors I have dealt with have been as good as B&B members in terms of pricing and descriptions.

This is a bit of a crapshoot. I think you should first narrow down your options, meaning are you looking for a automatic or quartz movement, a certain brand, size, color, day/date display, etc. And research those specific watches before buying. Some older watches are difficult/expensive to service. Given the very board watch description, you may also want to consider new ones.

I've picked up a couple of wristwatches on ebay. It seems most people aren't that interested in vintage watches for whatever reasons, and you can get a deal.

My two ebay rules: A good track record on part of the seller, and don't pay more than you wouldn't mind losing.

All of the above.
Watch repair is not a common profession anymore. Quality watch repair is rare.
Sometimes it's as easy as a clean and lube, other times you've got to replace stems, faces, gears or cracked jewels.
When it's not a simple fix, it's expensive.
You can try your luck on eBay, but bid on something that is guaranteed to be working from a seller with lots of sales and high feedback.

Also, search functions on ebay allow you to narrow the field to a very specific criteria: color of watch face, shape of case, type of movement, roman or arabic numerals, etc, etc. Its fun to use even without making bids.

I would suggest a search or two for vintage hamilton or bulova watches. See what comes up and find a model or two you like. Then search on those models. At your price point, most of what's available will be manual wind, not automatic. The sellers' descriptions often mention if the watch has been serviced and/or if it keeps time. Note, a "working" watch may not keep time. Also note that vintage watches tend to be a bit smaller than watches that are currently in style. Hope this helps some. Happy hunting, and please let us see what you find!
My thoughts as well. I have a Hamilton Thin o match from around the late 60's. Not sure what you could get one for. 33 mm. (Mine belonged to my paternal grandfather.) Daily wear watch for him.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

As a watch collector and enthusiast, that Hamilton and Bulova suggestion was a good one.
I would peek at farfo to see examples of a range of vintage watches, though most will be higher than your stated range.

As a watch collector and enthusiast, that Hamilton and Bulova suggestion was a good one.
I would peek at farfo to see examples of a range of vintage watches, though most will be higher than your stated range.

Last watch I picked up from fleabay was a Caravelle (Bulova) from the mid 1960's. Ran me just over $20 with shipping. It's in excellent condition and keeps good time. It is smaller than current fashion, but still quite a looker.

I'm a big fan of older Hamilton watches. If you keep an eye out you can find some decent things in that price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

image.jpg
I think an Omega Seamaster vintage would suit you well. I have one in 14k that's out of the budget you're working with but it's been a great watch for me for a few years with no problems and you can get the same one in either stainless or gold filled or gold plated probably within budget.
I get compliments all the time on it I think because it's such a simple classic design.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Check out chrono24
Or a brick and mortar watch shop if you can find one. As others have said I'd avoid ebay

Vintage watches are expensive to maintain. I just received my vintage Omega back from the repair shop and it was $550 for a tuneup, new OEM crown and crystal.

Vintage watches are expensive to maintain. I just received my vintage Omega back from the repair shop and it was $550 for a tuneup, new OEM crown and crystal.

That would be considered an investment, correct? I suspect money spent servicing an Omega is better spent than money spent on a less desirable watch.

That would be considered an investment, correct? I suspect money spent servicing an Omega is better spent than money spent on a less desirable watch.

If you mean "investment of profit" then no. I highly doubt that if I were to sell it the watch (1959 Omega Seamaster manual wind), I would recoup the money spent on maintenance. When I bought the watch, I took on the responsibility to keep the watch in working order. The majority of the price ($400) was for the OEM Omega crown and crystal. If your going to buy vintage, it does cost more to keep them running and it's an injustice to not use OEM parts.

Top Bottom