What's new

Vintage vs. Modern Safety Razors

Do you prefer using vintage or modern safety razors? What are your opinions on the pros and cons of both types?
I have only used vintage razors and I love them, however I would like to try some modern ones too.

I have 1 modern razor (RazoRock Jaws), and over 20 vintage razors. The modern razors make good travel razors as they are easy to replace if anything would happen.

The modern razor gives a good shave, and I have been thinking of trying the R41, but prefer to shave with a piece of history.

I love the old razors, one of my Gillettes is 107 years old. The older razors are really well made, I think they were more of a luxury item back in the day.

It does seems like modern razor-makers are stepping up their game.

I purchased a EJ DE87 as my first DE razor, and have had pretty good shaves with it. Mostly DFS' and the occasional BBS shave. I just this week got a 1965 Gillette tech and have had two shaves with it and both have been BBS.

So far I have love my vintage razor and think it will be my go too razor from here on out...

The only new razor I have is a Merkur 38c . great shaver but I prefer using my vintage Gilettes and Gems. They seem to be built a lot better than the modern razors , unless you are spending a lot of money for one , like the all stainless ones . I have not paid more that 10 or 15 dollars for most of my razors , I think I paid about $20 for my fatboy , but that was before prices started going up on vintage razors.

I purchased a EJ DE87 as my first DE razor, and have had pretty good shaves with it. Mostly DFS' and the occasional BBS shave. I just this week got a 1965 Gillette tech and have had two shaves with it and both have been BBS.

So far I have love my vintage razor and think it will be my go too razor from here on out...

Is it a travel Tech? 1965 (K-1) is my birth year, too and those are the only techs I have seen for 1965.

I have two SS one late 40's and one red tip mid 50's. Both give me an excellant shave, I have not tried modern razors and why would I if I can get decent vintage razors for less than $20

Only you can decide which is better for you. There are outstanding and crappy moderns, just as there are outstanding and crappy vintage razors.
I have and happily use some of each. Liking a razor or not should be based on how it performs rather than on when it was made.

Is it a travel Tech? 1965 (K-1) is my birth year, too and those are the only techs I have seen for 1965.
I don't believe so. It has a longer handle then the travel tech's I have seen. Mine is a K-4 date code.

Purchased by the Canadian Forces, surplussed and purchased by me brand new in the box.

I own one modern razor. A Razorock Stealth. It's absolutely great but I have no desire to own more modern razors. I love my vintage ones. You can still fine amazing deals on vintage razors if you put in some time, especially if you step outside of the world of Gillette. I've recently been picking up Star razors for next to nothing and they are giving me fantastic shaves. So far I've identified 5 models that they made from the 40's through 60's but I'm sure there are more. All of them are pretty similar but unique and all shave wonderfully. Also,Gillettes still pop up at yard sales etc.. and it's a whole lot of fun too find them.

Do you prefer using vintage or modern safety razors? What are your opinions on the pros and cons of both types?
I have only used vintage razors and I love them, however I would like to try some modern ones too.

I prefer modern razors and I must be the luckiest guy in the shaving world because I haven't had any crappy razors. Not even Parker's which get so much hate in this forum and I have 7 of them. I have read so many comments about how Merkur razors are poorly made, crap, how badly they align blade, they don't last etc .....well... again I must thank god after 9 Merkur razors how great they shave. Stainless razors and adjustables are one option.
There is nothing wrong with modern razors or that you would like to try them. It depends on you what you want from razor. Because you have an experience from vintages you have a good starting point to consider what kind of thing you are seeking from modern razors.

Last edited:
I have about 12 vintage razors and one modern razor (FatIp Grande). I guess I prefer classic/vintage, mainly just because I think it is cool using razors that are 50-70 years old. I'm certain that EJ and Merkur are all very good but I prefer the oldies.

I have 2 modern razors, an EJ-DE89 and a Merkur Slant. I have not tried the Slant yet but the DE89 was my first DE razor. I also have a 66 Superspeed, a Pre-War Fat Handled Tech and a brithyear D-4 Ball-End Tech.

The Pre-War Tech has replaced them all as my daily driver as it gives me the best shave consistantly.

They make modern razors? Jk, I have one of each and I enjoy shaving with both. There is just something about shaving with something that is over 80 years old though.

I have tried a whole bunch of vintage Gillettes, but the only one I still use is a Slim. The rest of my razors are all modern.

I have two modern (r89 & r41) and two vintage (Tech & Fatboy). But I've used ~10 different types of vintages as my mate has heaps of them (40's SS, Flare Tip, Slim, New, #58, TV Rocket, etc.)

I vastly prefer the vintages. They're so much nicer. They're more substantial, they're built to last, they shave beautifully, they look cooler. They're just all-around better razors IMHO.

I prefer the modern adjustables (especially the progress) over the vintage ones. I like the schick krona over any other tto I've tried, which includes super speeds, feather popular, and weishi. I don't like open combs at all, modern or vintage. As for 3-pieces, I enjoy merkurs and gillette techs (all types).

Also, since all SE's that I can think of are vintage, I prefer vintage SE's, mainly Gems. I don't really like injectors very much.

Top Bottom