What's new

vintage simpson: going on ebay (please explain)

I have been following this one with interest. I would venture to suggest that the seller had no idea what the brush was worth. (Looking at his previous auctions for mixed stuff). There's a couple of potential buyers who obviously know what it is though.

Ironically if he had used the "Ivory" word in the auction, or a photo where it was clearly visible, then Ebay would have pulled the auction pretty quickly, as they don't allow the sale of items made of real ivory. (At least in the UK. Don't know about the US). Here in the UK, it is illegal to sell ivory items, even old pre-CITES stuff. If a US buyer snags it, then there could be some interesting repercussions when it ships internationally. But of course, the seller will just label it "Shaving Brush". ;-)

Rod

This reminds me of an episode of X-Files when people in a CC&R neighborhood kept disappearing because they were devoured by some monster that rose from the ground when they were careless enough to leave their garage door up or let their porch light burn out.

We freak out about a once-in-a-blue-moon auction link of an even more ridiculous and rare auction item yet no one seems to bat an eyelash or say a word about the ever-growing instances of off-topic posts in the various fora. "Straining the gnat and swallowing the camel" and all that...

Lighten up, people.

-Greg

it's 100% certain that nobody on this forum would have put up a pathetic listing like that and call badger "badges" twice, so what's the big bloody deal? i can understand the rule in terms of people not promoting their auctions, but here some of us really need to chill out.

v.

While we appreciate the feedback and candor, listing live auctions has always been verboten. Some may recall an eBay auction from some months ago where a razor collector sold off his entire collection for several thousand dollars. IIRC, it was won by a member here. That's a once in a lifetime auction, and it wasn't posted here though dozens of our members knew about it and watched with interest. Somehow a single brush that a couple of bidders are driving up the price of merits suspending standard practice here? Give me a break. I'm sure the member here who was in the auction that gets outbid because of the extra attention will be thrilled. Light enough for you?

While we appreciate the feedback and candor, listing live auctions has always been verboten. Some may recall an eBay auction from some months ago where a razor collector sold off his entire collection for several thousand dollars. IIRC, it was won by a member here. That's a once in a lifetime auction, and it wasn't posted here though dozens of our members knew about it and watched with interest. Somehow a single brush that a couple of bidders are driving up the price of merits suspending standard practice here? Give me a break. I'm sure the member here who was in the auction that gets outbid because of the extra attention will be thrilled. Light enough for you?

Here Here BOB.... My thoughts exactly.... only stated better

it's 100% certain that nobody on this forum would have put up a pathetic listing like that and call badger "badges" twice, so what's the big bloody deal? i can understand the rule in terms of people not promoting their auctions, but here some of us really need to chill out.

v.

That's only half of the reason for the rule.

Equally importantly, imagine that through lots of work and slogging through listings for ages, searching for mispellings and incorrect descriptions and a hundred other things you finally hit on that gem of an auction that's going to get you your dream item at a decent price.

And then some dummy posts a link on the board and everyone and their brother pile on and drive the price skyhigh and you lose it.

That sucks.

Despite what you may think, B+B rules are all well thought out and are never capricious.

Equally importantly, imagine that through lots of work and slogging through listings for ages, searching for mispellings and incorrect descriptions and a hundred other things you finally hit on that gem of an auction that's going to get you your dream item at a decent price.

i don't understand what this has to do with badger and blade. is it here to protect my personal efforts at speculation, bidding and getting a good deal? if that's the case, a logical extension would be to forbid any praise of simpson brushes on the forum because that keeps their value severely inflated and destroys my attempts at achieving a fair, informed market price.

also, why not have the right to point the community to an interesting item? what moral right does the cunning person bidding have over the person observing and sharing the info?

i can understand not wanting to allow promotion of one's own listings, but the other arguments presented so far are not at all persuasive.

btw-- the "rule are rules" people have obviously not read "the merchant of venice".

v.

Last edited:
why not have the right to point the community to an interesting item? what moral right does the cunning person bidding have over the person observing and sharing the info?

I tend to agree and I don't believe competition (in an auction or otherwise) is an ungentlemanly pursuit. But as I said before, if you want to be in the playground you have to accept the rules.

Anyway a few of my favourite quotes from The Merchant of Venice", but now I'm off topic... (and possibly breaking the rules... mods, feel free to delete, but all is said in jest!)

"If you ***** us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?".

"The devil can cite scripture for his purpose".

"I like not fair terms and a villain's mind".

"I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano, A stage, where every man must play a part; And mine a sad one."

"Superfluity comes sooner by white hairs, but competency lives longer."

"Mislike me not for my complexion, The shadow’d livery of the burnish’d sun."

"It is a wise father that knows his own child."

"But love is blind, and lovers cannot see The pretty follies that themselves commit."

"All that glisters is not gold."

i don't understand what this has to do with badger and blade. is it here to protect my personal efforts at speculation, bidding and getting a good deal? if that's the case, a logical extension would be to forbid any praise of simpson brushes (or any other product, see, e.g. P.160) on the forum because that keeps their value severely inflated and destroys my attempts at achieving a fair, informed market price.
v.

This is exactly correct (with or without additions).

-Greg

Ummmmmmm, no. Shilling of any kind is not acceptable. Spend some time searching the site and you will find plenty of posts admonishing against fanboyism too. The big difference between your post and praise of Simpson brushes is that your listing was an auction and Simpson brushes are sold by many vendors retail. If your listing was BIN, no problem. The Merchant of Venice is fantastic, and rightfully holds it's place in the canon. More apt for this discussion is The Big Short. Give it a read!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you want some good reading try this;

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Terms_Of_Usage

Particularly number 6

That's what you agreed to when you logged in here at B&B.
If you no longer feel that you can comply with the guidelines you have the option of simply not logging in.

If you comply with the guidelines, but feel that a guideline is outdated or in need of a change, please feel free to discuss it in the "Site Feedback" forum, or by PM'ing a Mod.

I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

Sooo ... it went for £623. ($988)
As well as probably being ivory, the length of the white parts of the hairs seems very long. Might be quite special. Hope the winner enjoys it.
What confuses me is the bidding strategy. The winner bid 11 times, 6 of those bids were against himself (i.e. he raised his max bid.) I do not see the logic in doing that.

What confuses me is the bidding strategy. The winner bid 11 times, 6 of those bids were against himself (i.e. he raised his max bid.) I do not see the logic in doing that.

He probably saw this thread and got nervous! Someone tried to snipe 6s before the end but the winner had pumped up the max bid enough to ensure success. The brush certainly looks outside the mainstream but with a loft like that it will be as floppy as a rabbit's ear.

Guys, rules are rules and we are gentlemen here, I'm sure. It doesn't matter if the rules are just or right, it matters that this is a "private" forum which we are privileged to be a part of. We should respect the rules whether we like it or not. If the rules are infringed on accident, no harm no foul - in a case like this. However, they exist for a reason and there's always innocent victims. It's like parking in Chicago (or any city, I'm sure). Someone who is new might not know that you can't park somewhere at the risk of towing because they didn't see or ignored the blue and white sign. That doesn't mean they're not liable for the fees and/or tickets that might come along with it. This forum is a privilege and should be treated with respect. Whether you agree with the rules or not.

as a camera user, i despise leica collectors who manage to keep good equipment out of my hands by inflating the price and stashing their possessions in glass cases or original boxes, never actually using it to take pictures.

with brushes, i don't know what to think, because there really isn't any creativity in use--unless we choose to elevate lather building to an art form ;-)

v.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
as a camera user, i despise leica collectors who manage to keep good equipment out of my hands by inflating the price and stashing their possessions in glass cases or original boxes, never actually using it to take pictures.

with brushes, i don't know what to think, because there really isn't any creativity in use--unless we choose to elevate lather building to an art form ;-)

v.

If it can be done, this is certainly the platform in which to accomplish it :lol:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.

v.

If it can be done, this is certainly the platform in which to accomplish it :lol:

Next new reality show

LATHER WARS

Followed by:

LATHER SCULPTURE
2 man teams. 1st member builds the lather, 2nd member sculpts Michaelangelo's David

v.

Next new reality show

LATHER WARS

Followed by:

LATHER SCULPTURE
2 man teams. 1st member builds the lather, 2nd member sculpts Michaelangelo's David

Im in! I should have taken a picture of what I just whipped up! Cella rocks!!

v.

Next new reality show

LATHER WARS

Followed by:

LATHER SCULPTURE

Im in! I should have taken a picture of what I just whipped up! Cella rocks!!

I'm only watching if the lather is made from Williams.:eek:

Top Bottom