What's new

Vintage handles for small knots?

I've got a couple small knots. Both have a base diameter of less than 20 mm (somewhere around 18.5) and I'd like to mount them in a couple handles. So far, every vintage handle I've purchased has needed a larger knot. I know I could mount these deeper and pick up some diameter that way, but they're pretty short, I prefer longer lofts and really would like to avoid mounting them deep.

So, any advice on handles that would be great for these small knots? I'm on a very limited budget, so can't spend much, but I'm patient and can wait for that "special buy."

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

Todd

Todd, looks like you've got three possible solutions to your quest:

1) Prowl the local antique shops, flea markets, yard sales, etc. and see if you eventually find a small handle "in the wild."
2) Post a "Want to Buy" ad here on B&B and see if anyone has a small-handled brush that meets your requirements.
3) EBay. Search for vintage shaving brushes and if you see one advertised that looks promising, send a note to the seller and ask them to supply the basic dimensions (height, handle diameter, knot width). Most sellers are happy to give you that information if it's not already posted in their ad.

Good luck in your search. There's a lot of small-handled brushes out there. I think the phenomena of large brushes is relatively recent. Many of the older brushes I see are tiny in comparison.
----
Edit: Some of the Ever-Ready handles from the 50's -70s(?) have very narrow knots and they're pretty common. See this thread for an example: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/258499-Ever-Ready-300PBT-new-lease-on-life...

Last edited:
the ever-ready 300pbt has a 17mm hole and there are a number of other options,ive got a vintage stag with a 16mm hole,so they are out there.my best source is evil bay but you have to hunt for the deals.i look forward to seeing your restores

:001_smile. Thanks gentlemen.

I'm watching the bay ... Especially for Ever Ready brushes.

Todd
Ps: I seem to recall that someone was working on an Ever Ready brush database - can anyone help me find that info?

Thanks again.

:001_smile. Thanks gentlemen.

I'm watching the bay ... Especially for Ever Ready brushes.

Todd
Ps: I seem to recall that someone was working on an Ever Ready brush database - can anyone help me find that info?

Thanks again.

its under the shaving brush forum in brushmaking and restoration

Top Bottom