What's new

Vintage Gillette

Vintage Razor are for most part great, when you pair with great blade.

I have 4 Vintages, could get by with two, but none are dogs.

Blade I use is my winning combo.

In 2023 we have so many blade to choose from.

Back in 60’s maybe only 4 or 5 choices.

Hi again,

I got this one recently. Can anybody tell me which model this is? British Patent 694093. Rocket HD? Flare Tip Rocket? The knob is moving up and down when opening and closing.
Thanks Martin
Pretty sure its a British Parat Rocket, mid 1950s or so.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am new to wet shaving again and new to this forum, after reading for a while. I have purchased this razor second hand. Could anybody tell me which model and manufacturing year this might be? I assume it is a Super Speed. It only has an engravement British patent 694093, which seems to refer to Gillette’s TTO’s made in Britain after 1955. See photos attached.

Thanks
Martin

Flare tip Rocket
Late fifties, early sixties
The endcaps on that flare tip are the new style (and they changed the head from high to low profile). So, definitely 1962 or later.

Hi again,

I got this one recently. Can anybody tell me which model this is? British Patent 694093. Rocket HD? Flare Tip Rocket? The knob is moving up and down when opening and closing.
Thanks Martin
Hello there!

I think what you have there is one of these. A 54A Rocket. Early 1960's. (Pic courtesy of Mr Razor)
proxy.php

If it has a II marking on the bottom of the baseplate on the handle mounting (probably to the left as you look down) that would confirm it as in that era. II meant medium aggression and is found on British Gillettes from about 1958 on.

In 1962 6 shillings and 11 pence (6'11) would have the purchasing power of about £9 in 2023 money.

Looks like your example was well used and well loved. Looks in great mechanical shape. A nice soak in hot water and dishwashing liquid for 30 mins or so then a gentle scrubbing with an old toothbrush should freshen it up. Never boil a razor.

Nice score!

Last edited:
Hi again,

Thanks Martin
I'm a bit too new to the hobby to give any definite answers but it could possibly be a Parat as well

I'm a bit too new to the hobby to give any definite answers but it could possibly be a Parat as well
What is shown on the photos in post #19 has been manufactured in the late 50s - early 60s. I believe only for 5-6 years, known as Parat in Germany and sold in the UK as a Rocket. Note that the knob is exactly as wide as the handle. There is a similar late 40s - early 50s Rocket that has the knob very slightly wider than the handle. I think only made until around 1953.

So the discussion "Rocket or Parat" is insubstantial in this case.

It's a Brit made Flair tip rocket .. excuse me if I missed the joke regarding parat?

Not the most exciting of vintage razors to own due to them being so easy to get hold of. But what you'll find is that it gives you a stunningly smooth close shave.
These sold in big numbers for that very reason.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It's a Brit made Flair tip rocket .. excuse me if I missed the joke regarding parat?

Not the most exciting of vintage razors to own due to them being so easy to get hold of. But what you'll find is that it gives you a stunningly smooth close shave.
You have not missed any joke, you have simply not read the entire thread. The most recent razor for which identification has been requested is not a flare tip, you can see it in post 19.

Mooman,a Gilette rocket might not be most exciting, but as you said they got pretty good reviews. Even when sold in big numbers these might not be available in every country cheaply and in big numbers. I refuse to spend 20 bucks for international shipping plus VAT and even customs for a sub-$20 used vintage razor.

Best regards from Germany,
Martin

Top Bottom