What's new

Vintage Ever-Ready Bakelite Brush ID

I picked up an old Ever-Ready with a black Bakelite handle similar to below. There is no model number on the base. Any idea what model or era this is?

proxy.php

Ha!!! If I can't identify it I may use Don King as my inspiration! Maybe a deep set Silvertip?!?!

I picked up an old Ever-Ready with a black Bakelite handle similar to below. There is no model number on the base. Any idea what model or era this is?

This particular design was popular during WWII when the US government contracted out for these. After the war ended the market became flooded with them when the government sold them in bulk to clear out excess stock.

$wm_normal_1943-04_pop_sci_army_brush.jpg

Examples from other makers, note the different hair types:

Rubberset
$rubberset wwii.jpg$s-l1600 (21).jpg

Made Rite

$nonum-4_1.jpg$nonum-4_3.jpg

WOW! BladeShark is the man! Thanks!

So... I now surmise the brush is hard plastic, not Bakelite, and the knot is set in plastic not rubber. Safe to say this is WWII vintage which makes it uber cool! Considering the history, should I stay with a boar knot? Any good recommendations?

Last edited:
Jim I also got a similar "StrongSet" brush in the lot. Would it be the same story for that?

Great pickup Steve. Talk about history! The Golden Nib has some boar knots that look good, but I've never used one.

Jim I also got a similar "StrongSet" brush in the lot. Would it be the same story for that?

That could very well be. Leopold Ascher Brush Corp out of New York, makers of StrongSet brushes, was making shaving brushes at this time. They had a slight variation on the common design.

$strongset-1_1.jpg$strongset-1_2.jpg

Considering the history, should I stay with a boar knot? Any good recommendations?

I would be torn on this one. This model was designed to be utilitarian and the boar fits that perfectly. On the other hand it's shape makes me think it would be very comfortable to use and a nice soft silver tip would glide so nice. No help here.

I would be torn on this one. This model was designed to be utilitarian and the boar fits that perfectly. On the other hand it's shape makes me think it would be very comfortable to use and a nice soft silver tip would glide so nice. No help here.

I know, right!? I am all about avoiding gridlock, reaching across the aisles, and all that. So... maybe I put a boar in one and a Silvertip to make it look like Don King!

It really isn't enough of a collectors item to be worried about the knot matching what was in it before. Use whatever knot YOU will enjoy.

I'd go with a knot that fans out only as wide as the base, like in the Army brush article.
I just like the vertical symmetry.

You can polish old bakelite with something like an automotive rubbing compound, and then wax it with a carnauba hardwood paste wax.
This is especially effective with the dark brown bakelite that has some swirl pattern in it, like this Stromberg-Carlson 561 radio that I cleaned up:
$sc561_left.jpg

proxy.php

I believe I have one just like it, mine has a square on the bottom. I think the original knot is horse hair. I also have a Rubberset and an Opal that's similar. That's about all I know.

$2016-11-06 17.38.50.jpg

$2016-11-06 17.54.39.jpg

I'd go with a knot that fans out only as wide as the base, like in the Army brush article.
I just like the vertical symmetry.

You can polish old bakelite with something like an automotive rubbing compound, and then wax it with a carnauba hardwood paste wax.
This is especially effective with the dark brown bakelite that has some swirl pattern in it, like this Stromberg-Carlson 561 radio that I cleaned up:
View attachment 700720

Beautiful radio, good work cleaning it up.

Top Bottom