What's new

Vintage Brush ID Help

Anyone recognize these brushes? I can find no Rubberset brushes that look like the chrome one. I don't recognize the arrow logo on the lighter wood one and the black one says only "Set in Rubber." Thanks in advance! Jon

20210125_232418.jpg

20210125_232340.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting brushes. I have never used a brush with bristles that long before. I have nothing on the origin of these.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Cool arrow
I’ve seen some really long vintage brushes that were in fact not for shaving but used for clothing or other things.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The metal one does look like a 207. The longer bristles on the black one make me think of a barbers brush for brushing off necks after the cut. No idea on the 3rd.

I don't think I did a real good job of putting those in perspective! I think those two are just typically long boar bristle. Here's the entire haul, replete with neck duster and what I believe to be a stencil brush. Stencil brush or not, it's going to make one bad 30 mm knot shaving brush!

20210126_184728.jpg

5 minutes with some Flitz and these two are ready for knots! Maggard's 20 mm SHD 2 band for the Rubberset and a white/black synth for the unknown handle. I plan to hit the Rubberset with some automotive compound on the buffer, but I'm reluctant to do any sanding on the chrome.

20210126_230934.jpg

The Barlow knife was likely first produced in America by the John Russell Company, which still exists today as the Russell Harrington Cutlery Company. The knives were first produced in 1785 and called the Russell Barlow knife. They had a R with an arrow through it on the bolster.

Now, that's interesting! Knot removal on the big boy revealed a tube in the center of the knot. I was able to pop the ferrule off and it turns out that the tube is tapered. Looks as though it was driven in to flare, and thus retain, the knot.
20210127_233958.jpg

What strikes me as odd is that the fatter end is on the bristle side. I'm sure there is a reason, but it seems it would be more difficult to drive it through the knot. Machinery probably determines otherwise.

20210127_234748.jpg

20210127_234704.jpg

After puttering around with these a bit, the arrow brush has me scratching my head! I thought the two parts were contrasting wood, but the ferrule portion is not. Okay, it's plastic. So what are those ridges that sure look like something you would see in a natural material? Right. Horn! Then why is there no smell whatsoever when sanding? It is also threaded on the inside, so all signs point to plastic except for those ridges and the fact that it looks quite old. Any ideas?

20210128_224655.jpg

20210128_224730.jpg

And here's one with it dampened with alcohol:
20210128_225107.jpg

A development: I sanded with 1K and buried my schnaz in it. Smells very faintly of horn, so I'm going with that. And that is pretty cool!

Sanded part sort of looks like wood grain too maybe but the others not really. Got any sanding dust still? Burn some and there will be no doubt.

And if it’s horn you should be able to fully polish to shine. May need oil?

Thank you, Sir! That one has a 20 mm Shave Forge black/brown synth on order. To be honest, I'm wondering if that is going to do it justice. Under normal viewing conditions, that handle is a real beauty.

Thank you, Sir! That one has a 20 mm Shave Forge black/brown synth on order. To be honest, I'm wondering if that is going to do it justice. Under normal viewing conditions, that handle is a real beauty.

No, it will not.......but I am biased and just can't be pleased by synthetic knots. Natural wood and horn needs natural.......... :p Nice thing is you can always change it if you are not happy. Or trade it for a custom handle :-O

Top Bottom