What's new

Vintage blade finest vs WD high mountain badger

I liked vintage blades more. It may be a little less dense but i thought it performed and felt better on my face.
My WD knot felt like it had less backbone and was more "floppy" when lathering.
Just my opinion.

I liked vintage blades more. It may be a little less dense but i thought it performed and felt better on my face.
My WD knot felt like it had less backbone and was more "floppy" when lathering.
Just my opinion.

+1

Unless you get a larger knot and set it at a lower loft, the majority of the WD knots will be quite floppy, in my opinion. Good luck.

I think your are talking the WD Silvertips. They are indeed floppy if you set them to high. The OP was asking about HM. I do not own one (yet) but I have heard they have great backbone

I think your are talking the WD Silvertips. They are indeed floppy if you set them to high. The OP was asking about HM. I do not own one (yet) but I have heard they have great backbone

Oops, sorry. You are correct as I have yet to try the HMW Whipped Dog knots. :blush:

I'm actually talking about the high mountain... I found mine to be quite floppy and i had it set at 49mm.
I found it very strange as all i've read about them said they had more backbone, which was not the case for me.

Again this is only my opinion.

My WD High Mountain performs just superb. It has backbone, soft tips, produces a great lather... What else is there? Awesome bush!
PS : I set the 24 mm knot at 52 mm , not 55 wich is the standard height.

You can't really go wrong either way, but they probably aren't the knots I would choose. I haven't tried the WD High Mountain, but I've heard nothing but good things. I did indeed have a 22mm Vintage Blades Finest. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but there wasn't anything special about it. A very forgettable brush, for me anyway. I felt the knot was on par with VirginaSheng Finest knots - which is not a bad thing at all. But the VB was an easy one to get rid of when the time came.

You can't really go wrong either way, but they probably aren't the knots I would choose. I haven't tried the WD High Mountain, but I've heard nothing but good things. I did indeed have a 22mm Vintage Blades Finest. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but there wasn't anything special about it. A very forgettable brush, for me anyway. I felt the knot was on par with VirginaSheng Finest knots - which is not a bad thing at all. But the VB was an easy one to get rid of when the time came.

This was almost exactly my impression with the VB finest. I picked one up about 2 years ago. I thought it was alright, but it took 3 weeks to start breaking in, and then the knot fell out and I just re-knotted the handle with a different knot. I later picked up a Virginia Sheng finest and one of the first things I thought was that it's similar to the VB finest. However, the VB finest was denser with more backbone. I'd like to try a VB again as I now think I perhaps had a less than stellar example of their finest knot (the gel part of the gel tips was about 1/8th of an inch long - I never contacted them to ask though). But the VB density and water retention exceeded the Virginia Sheng.

In any case, someday, I'll probably try the VB again, but the WD HMW is going to be the next knot I try.

So which knots would you choose that are in the same general price range?

So which knots would you choose that are in the same general price range?

I really like TGN Finest knots. I also like TGN Super Badger knots, though it seems I am a bit of an outlier regarding the Super. Those would both come in under $30. But again, I haven't tried the WD High Mountain, and maybe it is an amazing knot.

For more money, if you can get ahold of a Shavemac Finest knot, that's a real winner. But it is significantly more expensive. But in my opinion, worth the extra money.

For less money, VirginaSheng knots can perform very admirably. I have several VirginaSheng knots that I feel are indistinguishable from some TGN knots I've bought. Other VS knots are a bit less impressive. So I guess you have a bit of inconsistency to deal with.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for. A high quality knot to re-knot a cherished brush? Go with the Shavemac. Just a fun project you are trying to do for cheap? Do the VS. Try out something new from a reputable company? Do the WD or the TGN.

Top Bottom