Brush: Semogue Mistura

eZy Watermark_28-04-2024_09-52-45-5310PM.jpeg

Razor: Laurel OC c.mid 1930's
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (5)
Cream: Proraso Blue
Brush: Wilko Synthetic 'The Brilliant'
AS Balm: Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20240428_221133160.jpg

I used a razor I picked up quite a while ago but which recently I have begun to use much more and greatly appreciate.

It's a very nice Laurel OC, made by George H Lawrence in Sheffield in the 1930's. Laurel was a leading razor manufacturer who also made the Boudoir ladies razor amongst other models. The baseplate is almost identical to the Souplex and it gives a very, very similar shave. It looks like a slightly tweaked Gillette Old, but the shave while being extremely efficient, is wonderfully smooth. Build quality is superb.

George Lawrence was a brave and caring man who was well known as a philantropist who looked out for his workers. On the night of December 13th 1940 he left his countryside house to be with his workers at the Laurel factory in central Sheffield in the midst of a severe air raid. He went armed with hampers of food and whisky, despite repeatedly being urged to turn back. He was killed in a direct hit along with nine of his employees.

George H. Lawrence died 13th December 1940 Sheffield - https://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/georgelawrence.htm

A small tribute in the final days of Vintage April, and the often fascinating back stories that exist in the history of shaving.

two passes and a touch up made short work of a four day barbed wire proto-beard.

Excellent shave, just what I needed. SSF.

Thanks for a great razor still being used Mr Lawrence!

Last edited:
Date29.04.2024
366 daily shaves
120/366

RazorBladeBrush
Matador DeluxeGillette Rubie Plus (4)Mühle Rocca ST
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (102)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Small dot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Kickstarting the week with the Matador is always joyful. Easily a forever razor.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

29 April

Leresche #77 • Polsilver Super Iridium
Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver •
Gibbs Velours "Crystal" brush
IMG_20240429_082043257.jpg

I really struggled to get a good, consistent shave from the 77 - until one day it occurred to me to read the instructions!

Tip no.7 of "Ten Good Tips for Shaving Well": Rasez-vous en mettant la lame presque à plat contre l'épiderme et en la laissant glisser obliquement de façon à prendre le poil en bias..."Shave by placing the blade almost flat against the skin and letting it slide obliquely so as to take the hair at an angle"

And so it proved. I loosen the handle about a quarter of an inch for the first pass, then tighten it again subsequently, always taking care to keep the blade as flat as possible. Result: shaving joy!

Razor: GEM Feather Weight V1 (13)
Blade: Personna GEM Coated (1)
Pre-Shave: Hot shower; Cereve Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Van der Hagen Unscented Luxury
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close; Very smooth; A pleasant DFS+ shave.

Cheers!!!

Monday 29th of Vintage April…..
IMG_7048.jpeg
I’ve come to appreciate my ‘59 Gillette adjustable very much this month. Love the smoothness with the 7OC blade and lack of irritation or dramas.
Arko! and Omega boar brush complete the line up for an absolutely top class retro shaving experience. What a great all rounder the ‘59 is.

Two’Fer today.

4/28/24

IMG_3043.jpeg

Vintage April 2024 25/30
Rocket 500 HD• 7 0’Clock Yellow(5)• Palmolive Classic• Zenith 502-BW• Details.
​

4/29/24

IMG_3052.jpeg

Vintage April 2024 26/30
1950’s British Ball End Tech• Wilkerson (1)• Black Shroud• Atomic Rocket 26mm• Details.
​

'48 - '50 Aristocrat
Feather
Captain's Choice Copper Lather Bowl
Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip
Ethos Nuage de Citron
Vanilla Highball

Another lovely shave with this smooth-shaving Aristocrat! Paired with a Feather it provided a wonderful shave to start my day.

Top Bottom