What's new

Vetiver

You can spend the rest of your life sampling different vetiver scents/compositions and still not define the scent. There is that much of a variety.

here are some of the available vetiver scents that are universally loved

Guerlain vetiver
Tom Ford Grey vetiver
Chanel Sycomore
Vetiver Extraordinaire (Frederick Malle)
Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver
Creed Original vetiver

That should get you started. Samples are available. try theperfumedcourt.com or surrendertochance.com

Vetiver Oil, an essential oil sourced from Sri Lanka also referred to as Vetivera zizanoides. Vetiver oil is steam-distilled from the roots of the vetiver perennial grass, a tall and thin plant typically grown in tropical climates. The oil produced is 100% natural having a characteristic fresh, woody scent. Vetiver oil is a viscous essential oil and is dark brown in color.

Vetiver oil, classified as a base note essential oil, is sought after for its appealing earthy fragrance. Many spas and personal care companies use this natural oil is a diffuser to create a relaxing ambiance. It is a desired ingredient in the soaping industry and used to manufacture perfumes, lotions, toiletreis and various cosmetic products. Its unique aroma is especially sought after in the formulation of natural herbal products

Thanks for the explanation!

Don't forget, Fat Electrician a modern vetiver. To me it smells like an old fashioned library book. Lovely.

Been looking into Vetiver myself and know there a lot of Stirling fans out there, very intrigued with Port Au Prince and wanted some feedback on what you thought of it. Vetiver can be a tricky fragrance to nail down and was curious about it's staying power and if it is more earthy or perfume like compared to others on the market, Thanks.

Vetiver frags seem to have more variances than bay rums. Some seem "softer" and fresh/lighter, while others, like Haitian Vativer are a pungeant smokiness. And there's everything in between. And of course,the dry-down is where it's at for most of them. I personally didn't like vetiver scents till I had hit my mid to late 40's, but it's good juice for sure! Guerlain Vetiver is a classic for good reason.

After trying a few I picked up a bottle of L'Occitane Vetiver.

Very nice scent, good lasting power. Have had compliments on it.

If you can, visit some stores and give the different ones a try.

Excellent choice. I too have L'Occitane Vetyver and I really love it. I also have Geurlain Vetiver and love it as well, though it does have a different overall scent impression than L'Occitane's version.

Tim

Excellent choice. I too have L'Occitane Vetyver and I really love it. I also have Geurlain Vetiver and love it as well, though it does have a different overall scent impression than L'Occitane's version.

Tim

I will have to try that one. I have a Guerlain fragrance I enjoy, L'Homme Instant.

Been looking into Vetiver myself and know there a lot of Stirling fans out there, very intrigued with Port Au Prince and wanted some feedback on what you thought of it. Vetiver can be a tricky fragrance to nail down and was curious about it's staying power and if it is more earthy or perfume like compared to others on the market, Thanks.

I have not tried the Port au Prince aftershave, but I've bought the soap many times. At least on the soap the predominant scent is lemongrass and not vetiver. It's very grassy. Or maybe there's just so much grass scent I can't tell the difference.

To be honest I was not a fan of the scent, at first. But it's also the best performing soap I have used, and I say that with conviction. So I kept using it and the scent grew on me. I've even bought some bath soaps of it.

It's probably worth trying the aftershave as a sampler. I intended to get it some day.

I think they might have Port-au-Prince on hiatus for the summer though.

If you want a pure, unadulterated example of vetiver, Cyril Salter French Vetiver cream is pretty much straight up scented with just the essential oil. Earthy, smoky, dirty-vegetal, woody. Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver and scents of that type are mostly that just diluted down to a dry cologne. Variations in the Guerlain vein are soapier and emphasize the green aspects. Lalique Encre Noir is a good woody, cold-weather vetiver based scent with other woods.

I have not tried the Port au Prince aftershave, but I've bought the soap many times. At least on the soap the predominant scent is lemongrass and not vetiver. It's very grassy. Or maybe there's just so much grass scent I can't tell the difference.

To be honest I was not a fan of the scent, at first. But it's also the best performing soap I have used, and I say that with conviction. So I kept using it and the scent grew on me. I've even bought some bath soaps of it.

It's probably worth trying the aftershave as a sampler. I intended to get it some day.

I think they might have Port-au-Prince on hiatus for the summer though.

Stirling has another vetiver scent in Glastonbury. Glastonbury also includes patchouli, oakmoss, and some other earthy scents. I like it more than port-au-prince and I do have that aftershave. It's pretty much my favorite, but it is strong. I put on a large splash the other day and I felt it may be a bit too strong.

To borrow from the fragrance world, if you have a department store nearby, try a spritz of Guerlain Vetiver (a clean Vetiver) and a spritz of Encre Noir (a "dirty" Vetiver). I love them both. I don't have any Vetiver soaps, creams or aftershaves, as I've decided that the two EdTs I have can't be beat. Of course, I may be wrong, but I have enough ADs already without adding vetivers to the list...

Top Bottom