What's new

Very Ornate and Unusual Mens Shaving Kit (Wade&Butcher Elite)

I have a very unusual "Shaving Kit". I found this while cleaning out my grandmother's 130+ yr old home. The house has been in our family since it was built by my Great Grandfather. This shaving kit appears to be very old and is 100% complete. I have searched extensively online and cannot find anything about it. I have found the individual straight razor's (similar ones) for sale on Ebay, but I have not found exact matches. I haven't been able to find a set like this anywhere.

Included is:
Very ornate Box with flip open top and flip down front
1 razor is carved in a very ornate fashion, Wade&Butcher Sheffield England on the top and the blade is inscribed "elite"
2nd razor is also very ornate, perhaps more so than the 1st, and says North American Cutlery Co
3rd razor is not as ornate, cannot read the manufacturer but "germany" is still clearly visible.
Rubberset Brush
Shaving Cup with Gold Leaf
Removeable mirror

This looks like it could perhaps be a gift set of some kind? Anyhow, any history or information on this/these pieces would be fantastic. . Thanks in advance for any help! $photo(229).JPG$photo(231).JPG$photo(232).jpg$photo(233).JPG$photo(234).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for a ballpark value on these items, stop looking. Since they are Family Heirlooms, their worth is priceless.

Since there are so many different brand-names, its likely that these pieces are not original to the set. The case itself might be from the early 19th Century, the barber's hair-brush might come from 1930s~1950s. Everything else could be somewhere in between.

Its a beautiful set! Enjoy it in good health.

This is a TOS violation. Pay an appraisal service if you want one.... Or do your own research for a sale...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The razors look to be in user grade condition, but as was mentioned it is priceless as an heirloom.

This is a TOS violation. Pay an appraisal service if you want one.... Or do your own research for a sale...

KCB5150, I was unaware that I was violating the site's "Terms of Service". You must have missed the portion of my post where I explained that I had searched extensively online, including doing google image searches with the uploaded images. I was referred to this forum by a moderater of another forum (whose name I wont mention for fear of again violating your TOS) as a last resort (on the internet research front anyway). I do not consider these priceless family heirlooms. I consider this a collectible that some individual would enjoy who has a pension for the particular "niche" market of "shaving accessories". I wouldn't pay an appraiser anything as this piece is of limited value in my mind.

To those who offered suggestions, thank you very much for your input. I sincerely appreciate it.

It seems as if i'm not welcome on this board.

Moderator, please delete my post(s) as you see fit.

Hey Smokeytx, welcome! I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on you like this. You asked for information. I see no problem with that.

I have a razor exactly like the yellow scales with the design on the side. It's a Wade & Butcher from Sheffield England and is probably from the late 1800's to early 1900's (correct me anyone). To be older than the late 1800's I think the "England" would not be on the tang. It's a nice razor but not "valuable" especially in monetary terms. I paid $35 recently for one. It should be a nice shaver however (mine is).

I can't tell you about any of the other items. As was mentioned it probably wasn't sold as a set or package.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey Smokeytx, welcome! I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on you like this. You asked for information. I see no problem with that.

I have a razor exactly like the yellow scales with the design on the side. It's a Wade & Butcher from Sheffield England and is probably from around 1900 (correct me anyone). It's a nice razor but not "valuable" especially in monetary terms. It should be a nice shaver however (mine is).

I can't tell you about any of the other items. As was mentioned it probably wasn't sold as a set or package.

I'm not sure anyone is "jumping on him". One member did state that asking for appraisals is against the Terms of Use of this site, and he is correct.
There were other answers to his query as well.
The point is that B&B tries to welcome like minded people here, but we also try to prevent outsiders from coming in and using the B&B membership as a data mine.
We have members who have come in, joined our group, posted a while and then wound up asking a similar question.
That is far and away different from someone whose first post is to ask for an appraisal, and who is further disassociated by stating that this family heirloom has no familial value and that he was simply interested in resale value.
The Terms of Use are required reading for anyone who joins, and part of the sign up process here is to reply that one has read and understands those Terms of Use.
Thank you for your kind words to the OP, who hopefully will be able to put this encounter behind him, and join us here for the camaraderie, information and enjoyment that we know is to be found here.
Who knows, with some discouragement to sell, he might just wind up using that gear and passing it on to his children.

I encourage smokeytx to stick around a while and discover just how friendly and welcoming we can be.
If he was offended by one of our members trying to help look out for his fellow members, I apologize for the hard feelings.
If he's with us here a while, he'll begin to understand that kcb5150's action was in the interests of his fellow members, and not a direct attack on him.

Last edited:
To those who offered suggestions, thank you very much for your input. I sincerely appreciate it.

It seems as if i'm not welcome on this board.

Moderator, please delete my post(s) as you see fit.

On the contrary, you are most welcome here. You've got a gorgeous setup there, one that I'm certain your ggfather really enjoyed having and using. What a wonderful find for you to be able to make that connection through the ages. Thanks much for sharing with us.

If you are in the 'States and want to try your hand at straight shaving with the same blade your GGfather did, drop me a private message and I'd be happy to hone one up for you for free...I'll even pay shipping back to you.

Last edited:
On the contrary, you are most welcome here. You've got a gorgeous setup there, one that I'm certain your ggfather really enjoyed having and using. What a wonderful find for you to be able to make that connection through the ages. Thanks much for sharing with us.

If you are in the 'States and want to try your hand at straight shaving with the same blade your GGfather did, drop me a private message and I'd be happy to hone one up for you for free...I'll even pay shipping back to you.
:a14::a14::a14:

That's the kind of welcome that sets this place apart. :euro: Carry on gentlemen!

Top Bottom