What's new

Van Der Hagen Safety Razor Blade Review

Last time I bought blades at a Meijer, it was their house brand whichtypical store re-branded Personal. Not sure if they still carry those but, typically seem to be cheaper than the VDH blades.

I just happened to try a VDH blade today. The first pass was rough. The second pass was smooth, but incomplete. I did a three pass and an ATG and still had stubble. The VDH blades are permanently out of my rotation. I can honestly say that Derby Extra preformed better. At least the Derby gave a clean second pass.

MM879
I might of had a case of operator error. I was trying a new pre-shave when the second pass stubble problem showed up. The next day a I used the same blade without pre-shave and didn't have any stubble issues. I think that I need to water down the pre-shave. The Vander Der Hagen blade is middle of the road high cost option that I will not be doing again. There are many premium options that are available at the same price point.
MM879

Good write up!

These were the first blades I tried and all they did was pull my hair. Most uncomfortable shave I’ve had - but just goes to show how different blades perform for different people.

Might have been a bad blade too so I might revisit these at some point.

Good write up!

These were the first blades I tried and all they did was pull my hair. Most uncomfortable shave I’ve had - but just goes to show how different blades perform for different people.

Might have been a bad blade too so I might revisit these at some point.
They're not very good. i'd stick with the gillette platinum,astra,feather,bic chrome,feather,wilkinson sword

1637192272226.jpeg

I have used the VDH blades and razor for two years. The blades are average and I have gotten nicked a few times with the razor. I now have a Rockwell adjustable and I get better shaves. I only have a few VDH blades left and once they are gone, then I will never buy another one.
VDH Blades aren't the greatest. they come from the factory already medium dull. if you want a bbs shave i'd go with the gillette platinum blades,astra platinum,bic chrome or even the feather blades.

Learned DE shaving with their razor and blades. Not too bad, but after awhile I was looking for something to get closer shave in one pass. Tried different blades in the VDH razor. Some were ok, some just not quite close enough. Fast forward to today-I use those same blades in my Parker 91R. Much closer shaves, no irritation. Even put a VDH blade in my Parker. Good shave! The VDH razor seems to hold the blade further from your face. Great for beginners!!

Top Bottom