What's new

Valet Auto Strop Strop reconditioning

Does yours have a serial number on the lever?
5ABBD36F-B127-45A3-A44E-2B4EB073D530.jpeg
8314BACD-3D0D-4CFD-A3E2-721CC7798E62.jpeg

I guess they made a lot of these.
4766EFAD-EA96-467C-913B-137D46F436D8.jpeg

Mine is older and obviously more valuable. Check out that nice tarnish and corrosion patina! Wanna trade?

“Vintage” Valet blade - shave #3
incredibly smooth

Can't find a serial on mine. Mine does not have the tab in those pics.

I'm messing with the adjustability with this blade now, seeing if I can make my shaves a bit milder.

Can't find a serial on mine. Mine does not have the tab in those pics.

I'm messing with the adjustability with this blade now, seeing if I can make my shaves a bit milder.
I checked all my VB1 and B1 valets. All have serial no’s. on the lock bar.
Are you sure yours is a VB1? Picture?

That's what I thought it was originally, then I read the "Million Dollar" was a VB1 and this came in a Million Dollar box, so now I'm just totally confused.

That's what I thought it was originally, then I read the "Million Dollar" was a VB1 and this came in a Million Dollar box, so now I'm just totally confused.
I’ve read that in a couple of posts also but it’s not true. Look on eBay and you’ll see pretty much every million dollar razor is a VC2 unless it was matched with the wrong box. A lot of people think it was the VB2 because of the silver plating, but that modelwas short lived. VC2 is probably the most common and biggest selling model that was helped along by a “million dollar” advertising blitz. Million dollar razors came in cardboard boxes where silver plated “B” models came in metal cases, some silver plated. B models are the only ones with a roller in the back.
...man...I should be posting all this in the new thread.

I’ve read that in a couple of posts also but it’s not true. Look on eBay and you’ll see pretty much every million dollar razor is a VC2 unless it was matched with the wrong box. A lot of people think it was the VB2 because of the silver plating, but that modelwas short lived. VC2 is probably the most common and biggest selling model that was helped along by a “million dollar” advertising blitz. Million dollar razors came in cardboard boxes where silver plated “B” models came in metal cases, some silver plated. B models are the only ones with a roller in the back.
...man...I should be posting all this in the new thread.

Yes, probably :biggrin1:

I had always thought it was the VC2, then I read stuff on the internet, so I know nothing.

I've been spending more time lately working on collecting Wedge Safeties. Hadn't really wanted too many new Valets, although I've been interested in the later model that replaced the teeth with a blade bar. But a VB2 needs to be added to the list now. What I really need to do is get a strop made for it of modern durable materials.

Shave #6 & 7 with the FAS: Shave 6 was unremarkable. Remains good.

Shave 7 is all that I'm gonna get. I used the adjustment dial to get a more mild shave. And the first pass was mild. Actually pleasant, among the better shavers I've used. Once pass #2 began, however, I noticed the blade was losing its edge. By the time I got to pass #3, I probably should have stopped and finished with another loaded razor (stupid mistake of the day). There was no edge by the end. I'm not sure I want to even try to strop that back into shape, I think it is done. My skin feels pretty irritated, although the shave is pretty close for the moment.

So the tally is: 7 shaves on the FAS blade. I'll remind you I, and I guess many other people feel, that this blade is unshaveable out of the box. It takes about 45-50 passes, and more the first time, to get the blade to work (I did a couple shaves with about 20 cycles and the difference was noticable). But if you are willing to give the blade a chance, and also willing to do the pre-mod work to get it to fit in the first place, it is quite a good blade. 7 shaves is as good as any DE blade, with a couple exceptions giving me a lot more than that. I'm pretty happy to use this razor and blade combination again.

My next experiment: I discovered I have some vintage Valet blades after all. Can I get them shave-ready once again? I shall see. Regardless, I'm taking a bit of a break from this razor, as I have quite an expensive vintage one I've been waiting for coming in the mail, supposedly tomorrow, and I expect there to be a long and torrid honeymoon period with it. If tomorrow is not its arrival time, my face just in general might need a break after today's use.

Stay tuned for more.....

Shave #6 & 7 with the FAS: Shave 6 was unremarkable. Remains good.

Shave 7 is all that I'm gonna get. I used the adjustment dial to get a more mild shave. And the first pass was mild. Actually pleasant, among the better shavers I've used. Once pass #2 began, however, I noticed the blade was losing its edge. By the time I got to pass #3, I probably should have stopped and finished with another loaded razor (stupid mistake of the day). There was no edge by the end. I'm not sure I want to even try to strop that back into shape, I think it is done. My skin feels pretty irritated, although the shave is pretty close for the moment.

So the tally is: 7 shaves on the FAS blade. I'll remind you I, and I guess many other people feel, that this blade is unshaveable out of the box. It takes about 45-50 passes, and more the first time, to get the blade to work (I did a couple shaves with about 20 cycles and the difference was noticable). But if you are willing to give the blade a chance, and also willing to do the pre-mod work to get it to fit in the first place, it is quite a good blade. 7 shaves is as good as any DE blade, with a couple exceptions giving me a lot more than that. I'm pretty happy to use this razor and blade combination again.

My next experiment: I discovered I have some vintage Valet blades after all. Can I get them shave-ready once again? I shall see. Regardless, I'm taking a bit of a break from this razor, as I have quite an expensive vintage one I've been waiting for coming in the mail, supposedly tomorrow, and I expect there to be a long and torrid honeymoon period with it. If tomorrow is not its arrival time, my face just in general might need a break after today's use.

Stay tuned for more.....
Hi all:

Just wanted to chime in and say you definitely have a VB2, not a VC2. I am looking at my VC2 right now, and a couple of key differences are the cutout name in the blade retention door, as well as the blade pin sets. The VC2 doesn't have the notch above the E in VALET. You can confirm in the Auto Strop Forum. Also, the VC series doesn't have the stamped serial number on the push lever.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20210823_191556_2.jpg
    20210823_191556_2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210823_191529_2.jpg
    20210823_191529_2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom