What's new

Using Aftershave balm and aftershave lotion

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I use a homemade version of Thayer's witch hazel as a deep pore cleaner after I shave than an unscented aftershave balm and an aftershave lotion with a fragrance is this over kill. Sometimes I'll use an alum block than the witch hazel and then the balm and fragrant aftershave. Can some of these steps be omitted? how many of you guys do the same?

I use Thayers WH and then apply either a splash or balm. I then take a shower and use a fragrance. You can do or omit any of your steps. Do whatever pleases you.

No doubt high-end barbers do it a certain way, but WTH. No right or wrong way, IMO. If I ever do the two-step thing, I apply the splash first, to tone and disinfect the skin, then the balm to calm and hydrate it. I have done both ways many times, my preference is splash, then balm.

Whatever works for you is just fine!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

My routine depends on the season and my skin’s reaction to the climate. Most days it is simply an AS splash. Other days my skin is dry, so I apply a moisturizer. If I am working outside, then a sun screen.

How do you all apply the witch hazel? Just use as a splash? Does it get consumed quickly being applied that way?

I have just been using an alum block and then following up with an aftershave lotion but recently have been thinking about trying some witch hazel. The Thayers stuff seems relatively pricey but also seems to be well regarded, I'm curious how long a bottle typically lasts most of you guys? Thanks.

How do you all apply the witch hazel? Just use as a splash? Does it get consumed quickly being applied that way?

I have just been using an alum block and then following up with an aftershave lotion but recently have been thinking about trying some witch hazel. The Thayers stuff seems relatively pricey but also seems to be well regarded, I'm curious how long a bottle typically lasts most of you guys? Thanks.
I use the generic witch hazel, the price is minimal, it works just fine. How long it last , many months for me . Personally I have no desire to use Thayers , the generic does the job.

Exactly, use it as an after shave. Depending on my mood I use it or an after shave . I find it soothing on irritated shin , even insect bites .
Sounds like many people use it in place of alum and it has a milder feel. Maybe I'll just grab a cheap bottle from Walmart or the pharmacy next time I'm out and give it a try. Unlike alum I'm guessing the WH doesn't need to be rinsed off afterwards?

Sounds like many people use it in place of alum and it has a milder feel. Maybe I'll just grab a cheap bottle from Walmart or the pharmacy next time I'm out and give it a try. Unlike alum I'm guessing the WH doesn't need to be rinsed off afterwards?
No need to wipe off , just let it evaporate , It has a medicinal scent , but the scent goes away soon as it evaporates. It does contain 14% alcohol, which really is not much. Anyway give it a try , Most people seem to like it .

I use a homemade version of Thayer's witch hazel as a deep pore cleaner after I shave than an unscented aftershave balm and an aftershave lotion with a fragrance is this over kill. Sometimes I'll use an alum block than the witch hazel and then the balm and fragrant aftershave. Can some of these steps be omitted? how many of you guys do the same?

For me - yes. I’m less is more. I just use a post shave cream / moisturiser only and I find the alum block gives me a red rash on my neck and I haven’t used aftershave in about 25 years, as it used to sting and didn’t see the point once I switched to aftershave lotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally use high-quality soaps that contain ingredients that will moisturize and condition the skin. My normal post-shave routine consists of application of witch hazel (either Dickinsons or generic). I keep my witch hazel in a 4 ounce bottle for easy dispensing. In the winter, I will had 10 drops of vegetable glycerine when I refill the bottle. I do not need to do that in the more humid summer months.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"

I use an alum block first then I use the witch hazel toner on a cotton ball a couple of times to deep clean pores and I use an unscented aftershave balm and then fragrant aftershave. Sometimes I just use an aftershave with balm with a fragrance.

Bart's Balms recommend you apply their aftershave balm fist, followed by their lotion which is oilly. Nevertheless it's good stuff, great strong small and cheap to buy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If I use a balm and a splash/aftershave, I apply the balm to my face and then apply the splash/aftershave to my chest. Sometimes I just dribble some of the splash/aftershave down my chest. I don’t like to apply the splash/aftershave straight on top of my balm.

You don't need both alum and witch hazel. They are both astringents. If you use alum, it has to be washed off after a few minutes; that adds time and an extra step. I use alum only if I get a nick. You don't need both a balm and an aftershave, pick one depending on the weather and what your skin needs.

Quickest of all is an aftershave that has witch hazel already in it, like Speick splash. Shave, riinse, apply Speick splash, done.

Not quite on topic but...saved my Nivea balm glass bottle to decant some Skin Bracer. Cleaned it out but, not on purpose, left enough residue that its scent mixed wonderfully with the SB. Not sure if it deserves a name but it's great.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use unscented Thayer's and then balm. I use cologne when I want to add a scent.

The only way you're going to know what works for you is experiment.

A lot depends on what you're using. Is your homemade Thayer's alcohol-free? If not, it's working more like an astringent than a toner, and is repeating what alum does. You could eliminate a step there if the WH has alcohol in it.

When you use unscented and scented AS together, are they the same style (both lotions, both alcohol based, etc.)? do they both have alcohol in them? Does one feel better to you than the other? Some guys like the burn, some guys like the soothing...and some guys want both.

I'm from the "less is more" school and don't believe in applying a lot of product to my face, especially if there's alcohol in many of them. For final aftershave I only use one, whether it's an alcohol-free lotion like Nivea sensitive skin, or an alcohol-based splash like Aqua Velva, or full of soothing oils like Ogallala bay Rum.

My post-shave steps:
  • Alum, one pass only, quickly followed by cold water rinse
  • An alcohol-free toner (Thayer's, Neutrogena), sometimes skipped if my shave is 100% irritation free
  • Aftershave- only one
Do what works for you, but if you think it's too many steps, try leaving things out and seeing how it feels.

Top Bottom