What's new

Using a Very Old Carborundum

Wondering what I will need to do to this once it arrives.

I don't have collection of straights or hones etc. Just wanted to get a good barbers hone and found this on ebay. Honestly, I got it because it was relatively inexpensive, I read Carborundum was a good old brand, and it got "Gold Medal Charleston 1902"... & I live in Charleston.

Looks like it may need lapping, but I don't even know where to begin with something like that.

Nice looking older barbers hone. You lap it by using wet/dry sandpaper and water on a plate of glass or other flat surface. It can make a mess, so I do on the granite tile next to the sink.

Be careful when using these; they usually cut a blade quite quickly and only need a few strokes for a touch up. I do not know the grit of the one you got; the single grit hones usually range anywhere from about 4-10K. Good luck with it.

In my experience, Carborundum hones are some of the hardest of the barbers hones to lap. Don't be surprised if it takes some work! (But, they must have been good hones which sold well since so many are still around.)

You can usually tell when you have lapped enough due to coloration. Typically, one section of the hone will be honed deeper than the other sections of the hone from normal use in the past. As you lap, this section will be untouched by your lapping initially. It will be very obviously different than the other sections, usually a darker color.

As you lap more, that area will become smaller and smaller. When it disappears, you got it!

Good luck.

So, you're saying I place sandpaper on flat surface, then rub the hone back and forth across it? Can I use granite countertop as flat surface & what grit sandpaper?

So, you're saying I place sandpaper on flat surface, then rub the hone back and forth across it? Can I use granite countertop as flat surface & what grit sandpaper?

Yes, a granite counter top would work. You can suction the wet/dry sandpaper to the surface with water. Personally, I would get a cheap flat tile from a home store so you can lap under a running tap.

What grit? Depends on how much material you need to remove. I lapped a Swaty hone, which are quite hard, and I started with 220 until flat and then worked my up until there were no scratches when dry. I forgot what grit I finished on.

I wouldn't use the granite countertop! Just go to Home Depot and drop a few $$$ on a single granite or marble tile (NOT ceramic - it won't be as flat!) and put some felt feet on that thing if you're going to work on a surface that can get scratched.

Top Bottom