What's new

Using A Matching Seven-day Set (M7DS)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'd like to see a 7DS made of the W59s. I'm still waiting anxiously for mine. I think it is still another month away. :(

I had a thought of making a 7DS from Comoy's of London razors because I can get them quickly (under 1 week) and they are only ~$20 each. But thinking about it, I'd be making a purse out of sow's ear. So that idea was scuppered.
I currently have one W59. When received, it had an almost 3mm smile on the edge. Not being to my liking, I bread-knifed the smile out, reset the bevel (from a 180deg bevel angle) and honed it up to tree-topping standard. From there, the W59 went through diamond pasted balsa stropping progression to a Method edge. That edge has since been further refined on diamond pasted balsa to where it now comfortably performs the fool's pass. This is what I consider my shave-ready standard.

I have three more W59's arriving today. It will be interesting to see what they are like. If I can get them up to the same standard as my first, I'll order another three and put together a M7DS of Gold Dollar W59 SR's.

GD W59's are readily available to me here in the Philippines. About USD 10 each plus USD 2 shipping per order. Delivery takes a couple of weeks from China - not using PhilPost.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The case is about USD 50. Engraving cost me about USD 7 per razor.

Compared to the cost of cheap(re) razors, the case and engraving are expensive. With more expensive razors, the case and engraving are relatively cheap.

Matching seven-day sets are not for everyone. They are mainly used by true gentlemen of means (even if only modest).

Even a M7DS of cheaper SR's in a good case should keep for generations if properly looked after. Something to be handed down through the family. How would you feel if you had your father's or grandfather's M7DS now?

Not entirely matching, but close. My 7 day set is coming along. Eventually I would like to have seven 6/8 Friedman and Lauterjung's Electric Straight Razor. Some of these are restored already. The rest still need work. The white scales are camel bone and the yellowish ones are some kind of ivory.

IMG_20200711_113217.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This week I had a real barber's shave Monday and spent Tuesday to Thursday shaves timing use with SR, DE and DBSR.

On Tuesday I received the replacement for my cracked Solis SR so I set the bevel and honed it up to a Method edge. I'll spend the next few days shaving alternatively with Vesperum and Solis until I can get Solis up to at least the same standard as Vesperum just using diamond pasted balsa strops.

I have found a local engraver who can laser engrave the days (in Latin) onto the spines of my M7DS. Not cheap at USD 6.50 each. I will wait until I receive my replacement Solis (Sunday) SR before getting this done.

Did you ever get the spine engraving done?

do you have example images of what they've done in the past on something similar? I just saw a picture of Hart's implementation of etching the spines and not sure how I feel about it. Maybe in person it looks different.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
do you have example images of what they've done in the past on something similar? I just saw a picture of Hart's implementation of etching the spines and not sure how I feel about it. Maybe in person it looks different.
No, I have nothing to show. This will be their first SR spine engraving. Remember, this is the Philippines.

I will probably just give them one SR to do first to see how it turns out.

I asked a local engraver (mostly of trophies, flat plaques, crystal, plex, etc) if they could do something for me on some spines and they were not interested after i specified the size and curve.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I asked a local engraver (mostly of trophies, flat plaques, crystal, plex, etc) if they could do something for me on some spines and they were not interested after i specified the size and curve.
It depends on the type of laser engraving equipment that they have. Some equipment is more suitable for engraving on highly curved surfaces.

When I found my local engraver, I first took one of my razors to them so that they knew what they were dealing with. I spoke with the actual person who was to do the engraving and he said that there would be no problems in doing what I required.

If I have the time, I might take one razor to them for engraving on Monday and see what happens.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After shaving with Vesperum yesterday to remind me of my edge criteria, this morning I took my newly honed and diamond pasted balsa stroped Solis for its first drive.

What a surprise! I expected Solis to be good but it was great. On its first shave, Solis matched Vesperum. My Method honing and stropping technique must be improving.

For the next eight days I will just alternate between Solis and Vesperum until Solis has completed five shaves like all the others in its M7DS.

Have keep the wear even.

After shaving with Vesperum yesterday to remind me of my edge criteria, this morning I took my newly honed and diamond pasted balsa stroped Solis for its first drive.

What a surprise! I expected Solis to be good but it was great. On its first shave, Solis matched Vesperum. My Method honing and stropping technique must be improving.

For the next eight days I will just alternate between Solis and Vesperum until Solis has completed five shaves like all the others in its M7DS.

Have keep the wear even.

monogrammed scrolling initials on the box yet????

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Today I took my Vesperum razor to the engraving company as a test piece to see the quality of their work. Their clerk how served me said:

Clerk: Thank you sir, you can pick your razor up in 3 weeks.
Me: Why does it take so long? You told me that it should only take about 1 hour to engrave.
Clerk: Sir, there are many orders in front of you.
Me: OK, I understand. Can I take my razor home as I use it and then you call me when you are ready to do the work?
Clerk: No sir, you need to leave it here.
Me: What will you do with the razor while it is here?
Clerk: It will sit with the other orders waiting its turn (thinking I must be stupid).
Me: Can I see your manager?

Manager (Chinerse/Filipino) comes out and I explain my problem.

Manager: Sir you may take your razor home. We will call you the day before we are ready to do the engraving so that you can bring it in in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.

Only in the Philippines.

Last edited:
Engraving of the spines can be problematic for most. Did you consider maybe etching the blades? Or engraving ontop of the shank, or side of tang, just thoughts...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Engraving of the spines can be problematic for most. Did you consider maybe etching the blades? Or engraving ontop of the shank, or side of tang, just thoughts...
There are three main types of laser engraving machines. One works in the x-y plane only. The second has the laser traversing a fine helix with the laser beam pulsating to produce a raster image. The third is where the laser remains stationary and its beam is moved using galvo mirrors.

The second type can be used to engrave the spine, however the third type is best for this type of work. My engraver has all three types of laser engraving machines. Maybe that's why he is so expensive at USD 7 per razor. That's a quarter of the cost of the whole razor!

I thought of putting the engraving on the top of the shank but decided that the spine location would be better, if that can be done.

I'll just have to see how Vesperum turns out.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
While at the engravers, I enquired about engraving timber. Yes, they can do that. Now I have to consider having my initials engraved into the top surface of the case lid. I am considering an old English font style.

I'll post some suggestions later for your comments.

Top Bottom