What's new

Using a 3 piece safety razor without the base plate ?

Today was my first ever Devette shave. I only did WTG and 80% of an XTG pass, then I wimped out and reattached the base plate, and finished the XTG and onto the ATG pass. I had a couple of the tiniest weepers. A pretty good shave otherwise. I'm not sure I would do this every day, but I'd be keen to explore this technique further.
I don't think the blade edge is well supported with washers and you really need the base plate cut back to make it into a devette. That would destroy the 15C base plate. Alternatively you can pick up a Gillette Old or New and just cut off the combs if you wanted a try a devette.
You may as well use a shavette which uses half DE blades but has better support for ther DE blade. Shavettes can be found at very modest prices from the usual online suppliers.

This has been done quite a bit, but usually, as Old Hippie said, by altering the baseplate rather than removing it entirely.
It is best to leave the corners intact. A lot of people did this with Old Type razors. File down all the teeth except for the thick ones on the corners and you are good to go. Or, you could file off the teeth on one side and have a half-devette. Then you could do the first pass with the devette side, then simply use the other side for a gentler second pass.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just buy a Shavette and you get much the same thing with less vibration, what ever you do I would not come in hot(plunking the razor on your face) because it will not be a nice experience IMO.
A aggressive razor will do much the same thing and it can be managed better with a steep approach(riding the bar) you will feel the blade but still have control using the safety bar as a regulator on how much blade feel you want and you outcome will be much better for it if you like blade feel(they will bite with out warning guaranteed). Nothing wrong with blade feel if you can control it some how.
Yaqi Knights helmet razor head..jpg

Hopefully have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well, voice of personal experience...

It is faster. Somebody here posted a short article from an old magazine about making a half-sider, and the author wrote that it was much faster for the first pass. My experience is that WTG it'll zip right through. My hair's hard enough that trying ATG is just too much. The author also mentioned that when a closer shave is desired, using a half-sider made the other passes as normal. Some days one-and-done is good enough; some days that DFS+ or BBS is what you want. I'd say a devette is essentially a WTG tool, at least for me.

It's interesting to me that the instructions with the vintage Gem Jr. Bar SE razor (from pre-1920 or so) say to only use that razor WTG. With a devette it's pretty much the same deal for me. In a universe where a guy would use his personal razor to tune up the barbershop shave every day or so, and then attend the barbershop on Saturday for a "proper" shave it makes some sense. It would also keep the barbers in business.

One WTG pass leaves some behind, of course. When I shave with a devette, my head feels like I shaved yesterday when I run my hand ATG. WTG it's smooth. I can do XTG and that takes off more hair. I also shave my cheeks and temples with it, and I was concerned at first that a mole on my right cheek would be a problem. It's not, and not because I shaved it off.

One thing a devette will do for you is tune up your no-pressure technique. The ergonomics are easier for my hands than either a Western or kamisori style shavette. I think the force vectors are also different between a T-shaped razor and a shavette or even an SR. With a devette the blade is pulled up and along the skin, while a shavette or SR is pushed down and into the skin -- only very slightly, but if you look at how a safety razor is used you might see what I mean. Very slight difference but I nick myself way less with a devette than a shavette.

Possibly I decided I like it because I survived five weeks of shaving with one and only had blood when I hit mosquito bites. I consider that a "course hazard" rather than a technique problem.

It's just something to try, and lots of guys have tried it before us over the last century or so. For me, it's fun. I'll keep it in my rotation.

O.H.

Hi all.

I saw a viewer comment on a geofatboy video - this viewer claimed that he uses a safety razor without base plate for the 1st pass, then re attaches the base plate for subsequent passes. I think in his case the razor was a Merkur 15C, but I'm not sure razor model would matter too much.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this, and I'm also seeking general comments / thoughts on the idea. Is it dumb, interesting, useful, pointless etc. ? I'm thinking of giving this one a try.

Thank you.
I use the blade bare handed for the first and third pass.

Well... If any of you do try this ... Make sure you aren't in either of the two areas of NH or VT which I work on an ambulance 🚑💨.... The only thing worse than explaining things to the EMT is explaining it to one that knows of the basis of the hair brained scheme...🩸🩸🩸🩸

Top Bottom