What's new

Used Blade Disposal

Just wondering what other people use for used blade disposal, wanted to see whether anyone had came up with any cool solutions?

Personally I use a 5L Sharps bin I picked up off amazon for around £6, attached a few pics (Old spice for scale)
IMG_20230214_225210.jpg
IMG_20230214_225222.jpg
IMG_20230214_225233.jpg

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I used to buy 1-quart sharps containers purchased from my pharmacy for $3-$4, but now I just use empty prescription or vitamin bottles, which are free. Just some duct tape around them before disposing of them works fine.

Soup cans from chicken broth with a slit cut in the top and rinsed out are also a great cheap/safe way to dispose of used blades.

Maybe some of these will help:

That thing is way too huge for my counter top. My wife would kill me lol. I use a metal mint candy container like the one below. I super glued the top shut and then cut a slit in it to drop the blades in. When it is full I will wrap it with duct tape and throw it out with the rest of the garbage.
1676467613807.png

When I'm at home, I put them in a small plastic bottle, which I've been using for years now and I will probably be able to use it for the next 20-30 years or perhaps for the rest of my life. When I'm not at home, I simply snap the used blades a few times while they are in the wrapper of the new blade to the point of making them impossible to cut anyone.

Suppose you live in a house built in the 1940s. You have decided to renovate your bathroom. You start to break down the wall next to the washbasin, but it turns out that she is armed and ready to fight back.
No, the house did not suddenly become sentient. However, there is a very good chance that dozens - if not hundreds - of rusty blades will suddenly fall on your feet.
The photo above was posted on Reddit a few years ago with the caption "My friend just discovered a wall of blades." And as you can see, the description is accurate: someone damaged the wall and found a hundred or so blades. It's hardly something you'd expect to see during renovations, but it shouldn't come as a surprise either: Bladed walls are a "feature" (for lack of a better word) of bathrooms in older homes. And the reason is quite simple: the bathroom walls in old houses are actually bloodthirsty sociopaths who remain calm until we decide to invest in expensive repairs.
No, wait, it's not. The real reason is that a few generations ago we had no idea what to do with used blades and found no better solution than hiding them in the hollow walls of bathrooms.
This reason also sounds strange, but it's true! Here is a photo of the old sink. Above it, you see a soap dish, a toothbrush holder, and a hole that says "Blades" above it.
In the early 1900s, men went to barbers to shave. But soon everything changed.According to Reader's Digest: “In 1903, Gillette introduced the first safety razor so that men could shave at home; it was simpler than the sharp razors used by barbers. To shave without problems with their help, you had to get used to it first; however, they were much better than what had previously been offered, and soon became indispensable.
However, there was one problem: the blades were not designed for long-term use. They had to be constantly changed. The old ones were to be disposed of, and this was extremely difficult to do. Reader's Digest explains:

“Because they were sharp (and often with bits of skin, hair, and sometimes blood), they couldn’t just be thrown in the trash along with other trash. In the 1930s and 1940s, people burned garbage to fertilize the soil in gardens with ashes, but razor blades did not burn and became a huge danger to gardeners.
Holes, as in the photo above, became the solution. There was a lot of space in the wall, so it could take a very long time to fill up - for decades. However, this was of little concern to anyone, since everyone hoped for new technologies. Indeed, over the years we've developed better razors and stopped disposing of our trash ourselves. Twenty or thirty years later, the practice of throwing old blades through holes in the walls of bathrooms has sunk into oblivion.
Unfortunately, for repair workers, blades are an unexpected hazard, so they must be careful when working in the bathrooms of old houses. (с)
6Oi1EeX.png
88sdp60.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve tossed them in the garbage. I’ve wrapped them in their old wrappers and tossed them in the garbage. I’ve used the wall slots. Now I have a blade bank I put them in.

old house I would say asbestos would worry me more :)
lead paint ?
old rusty nails ?
bad electric ?
mold ?
etc...

pretty easy to go OK razor hole in bathroom so chances are between these two studs and YUP here they are :)

at least that is how I look at that for me not a deal at all ;)

then again I am the type to say would be funny to get a skeleton hand (maybe fake with respect to deceased) and stick in the wall just for when they remodel :)

I have a bank and just empty it into tin cans when full

I personally use it, but I don’t know where to put them when it becomes full. Last time I buried them under the foundation of my house. Although, yes, their disposal is a problem in our age ...
20230215_175541.jpg

My brother does a lot of bathroom renovation work and has had the blades not simply fall out but actually spring out at him, depending on where they've stuck in the wall and how the cascading takes place once the wall is breached. His co-workers have similar stories. They're not naïve, and they know to sometimes expect blades, but each configuration is unique and there are surprises.

As for current disposal, you can generally take them to the scrapyard or whatever local business or municipal agency handles your larger metal recycling. Most pay for metals (ferrous and nonferrous) and, while a few ounces of blades won't get you anything more than a few pennies, you can have the satisfaction that this resource is being reused. Recyclers will tell you how they want you to provide the blades, whether it's dumped loose into one of their bins, wrapped in something, in a tin etc.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Suppose you live in a house built in the 1940s. You have decided to renovate your bathroom. You start to break down the wall next to the washbasin, but it turns out that she is armed and ready to fight back.
No, the house did not suddenly become sentient. However, there is a very good chance that dozens - if not hundreds - of rusty blades will suddenly fall on your feet.
The photo above was posted on Reddit a few years ago with the caption "My friend just discovered a wall of blades." And as you can see, the description is accurate: someone damaged the wall and found a hundred or so blades. It's hardly something you'd expect to see during renovations, but it shouldn't come as a surprise either: Bladed walls are a "feature" (for lack of a better word) of bathrooms in older homes. And the reason is quite simple: the bathroom walls in old houses are actually bloodthirsty sociopaths who remain calm until we decide to invest in expensive repairs.
No, wait, it's not. The real reason is that a few generations ago we had no idea what to do with used blades and found no better solution than hiding them in the hollow walls of bathrooms.
This reason also sounds strange, but it's true! Here is a photo of the old sink. Above it, you see a soap dish, a toothbrush holder, and a hole that says "Blades" above it.
In the early 1900s, men went to barbers to shave. But soon everything changed.According to Reader's Digest: “In 1903, Gillette introduced the first safety razor so that men could shave at home; it was simpler than the sharp razors used by barbers. To shave without problems with their help, you had to get used to it first; however, they were much better than what had previously been offered, and soon became indispensable.
However, there was one problem: the blades were not designed for long-term use. They had to be constantly changed. The old ones were to be disposed of, and this was extremely difficult to do. Reader's Digest explains:

“Because they were sharp (and often with bits of skin, hair, and sometimes blood), they couldn’t just be thrown in the trash along with other trash. In the 1930s and 1940s, people burned garbage to fertilize the soil in gardens with ashes, but razor blades did not burn and became a huge danger to gardeners.
Holes, as in the photo above, became the solution. There was a lot of space in the wall, so it could take a very long time to fill up - for decades. However, this was of little concern to anyone, since everyone hoped for new technologies. Indeed, over the years we've developed better razors and stopped disposing of our trash ourselves. Twenty or thirty years later, the practice of throwing old blades through holes in the walls of bathrooms has sunk into oblivion.
Unfortunately, for repair workers, blades are an unexpected hazard, so they must be careful when working in the bathrooms of old houses. (с)
View attachment 1606500View attachment 1606501

There you have it. Every home improvement project hinges to some degree on the previous tenant of the property. Perhaps if one sees a slot for blade disposal one should be prepared for the outcome of opening up the wall behind it.

See below
old house I would say asbestos would worry me more :)
lead paint ?
old rusty nails ?
bad electric ?
mold ?
etc...

pretty easy to go OK razor hole in bathroom so chances are between these two studs and YUP here they are :)

at least that is how I look at that for me not a deal at all ;)

then again I am the type to say would be funny to get a skeleton hand (maybe fake with respect to deceased) and stick in the wall just for when they remodel :)

I have a bank and just empty it into tin cans when full
Proactive and forward thinking. Well done! Just now deciding where to place "skeleton hand"...

Top Bottom