What's new

Used a Feather Blade and lived to talk about it

I used one tonight for the first time and luckily no blood of parts of my face in the sink LOL
I did notice it was not as close of a shave as i have heard others talk about. It did knock it down to a BBS. Others have said that it feels like it removed a layer of skin.
It could be do to the razor i used, a Gillette Black Tip.
Anyone have more experience with Feather blades and what are your opinions on them?

For me a Feather pairs perfectly in my Murker. That sort of mild razor with a wild blade idea. It is my go to in that razor.

I dont like them in my SuperSpeeds, because for me, they do take off a touch too much. Not a blood bath just more feedback from the aftershave. I could do it if I had to.

My issue with Feathers is that they don't have a long life. Others will be along shortly and say how they use Feathers for years without changing blades.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Feathers are nice. They turned the R41 into a great shaver for me when I tried it. The R41 needs sharp blades to be a good performer, otherwise it can be very tuggy.

Feathers don't last as long as the Personna Med Prep. I think there are other blades such as the Med Prep that are almost as sharp and probably a little smoother and long lasting. Makes it sound like I'm down on Feathers a bit, I'm not. They are a good blade, just not the most economical, but then neither are the Med Prep.

They are good blades but not ones I use regularly. Very sharp but they also don't last terribly long. I look at cost per shave, how long the shave lasts and irritation. Lots of blades perform better.
Yeah the cost is a huge factor for me on them. $16 for 30

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I find them rougher than PIRs or Crystals. They definitely have shorter blade life for me. Days 2-4 or 5, though, they are pretty nice.

I find them rougher than PIRs or Crystals. They definitely have shorter blade life for me. Days 2-4 or 5, though, they are pretty nice.
I'm hoping i can get more than one use out of mine, usually any other blades will pull and tug after the first use

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@FarmerTan Aren't you a minister at the Church of Feather?
No, I'm always preaching about something (and I don't let a thing like facts get in my way!) but I'm usually extolling the virtues of GSB, Astra SS, or Silver Star blades. But I have to say the GSB is my favorite, after the first use.

FarmerTan

I have recently heard the newer Dorco Prime blades are sharp and smooth. They are $8 - 10 / 100. I have not used them myself.
I ain't trying them Dorco's! I've never found one I like, and I'd like to keep my perfect record!

I have not shaved with anything but a Feather in many months. I usually get between 30 & 40 shaves to a blade. I believe my long blade life is due to taking extra care of the blade and altering my shave technique.

FarmerTan

I have not shaved with anything but a Feather in many months. I usually get between 30 & 40 shaves to a blade. I believe my long blade life is due to taking extra care of the blade and altering my shave technique.
Undoubtedly. I have really only used two blades past a dozen shaves: the Astra SS and GSB. I have pretty much made sure that I had a well hydrated face and paid close attention to my angle of attack. You know, the thing I should do no matter what sharp tool I'm using, duh!

Undoubtedly. I have really only used two blades past a dozen shaves: the Astra SS and GSB. I have pretty much made sure that I had a well hydrated face and paid close attention to my angle of attack. You know, the thing I should do no matter what sharp tool I'm using, duh!
I make sure my face is well hydrated and I use a slick preshave, and a slick soap. I then shave with as shallow an angle as possible. After the shave, I disassemble the razor and clean the razor and blade in hot water. I then dryer each part, strop the blade on the palm of my hand and reassemble the razor and blade.

I believe that each of these steps add up to longer blade life. I also adopted the philosophy that a rough shave does not mean it’s the blades fault. I used to bin my blades after 7 shaves just because everyone said they would only go four or five shaves. Once I got past seven, I found I would sometimes encounter a rough shave at about 20 shaves. I found that by ignoring one bad shave I usually had several good shaves afterward. I now bin the blades when I have two or three bad shaves in a row.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Glad that you lived to tell the tale. I put off using them for years due to their reputation for blood. I find that in a Merkur 34C/G or a Gillette Tech they give me fantastic shaves. I still have to respect the blade but they are great shaves.

Feather. I wouldn’t use anything else.

5D953620-EF6C-4393-A5FB-1E93F709BA6E.jpeg

Top Bottom