What's new

USCCA

This is why I carry a 1911. I would have just shot the ***** and been done with it!

But you wouldn't have been. The district attorney would have been all over it.

It may not seem "right" to you, in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, but anytime anyone is killed by violence, whether justified or not, it attracts A LOT of attention. And it should. This is not the Wild West, and that is the reason that some form of insurance is a very good idea.

Don

I’ve served jury duty seven times. Of those seven times I’ve been on a jury that actually deliberated four times. Every one of those four experiences scared the poo out of me. I sat in a room were 3 or 4 of the 12 jurors didn’t have a clue what was going on. There were also bullies on the juries that just wanted to deliver a verdict and get home to their beer.

There is no way that I would take a chance that the jury would make the right decision without having a high powered attorney. I suspect that if you are innocent, you stand a better chance with a judge. I certainly am not sure a bench trial is better than a jury trial if you are innocent. Another reason to have a great attorney.

But you wouldn't have been. The district attorney would have been all over it.

It may not seem "right" to you, in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, but anytime anyone is killed by violence, whether justified or not, it attracts A LOT of attention. And it should. This is not the Wild West, and that is the reason that some form of insurance is a very good idea.

Don

In this Country of today's mindset, I believe you have a point. As far it not being the "Wild West" you should tell that to the people of Chicago. So where's all the attention for those who are killed by violence every day and mostly weekends?

I can see that. The man should have had a phone and called 911 immediately stating that he was attacked and had to defend himself. First call is important. Cuomo’s so called murder insurance is too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The advice I have seen is that if you are involved in a shooting, call the police to report a shooting, call a lawyer and then shut your pie hole. Anything you say can and will be used against you. The district attorney is not on your side and not your friend. Seemingly innocent comments made in a time of stress can suddenly become admissions of guilt.

Again, report it and say noting else, call your lawyer and then take your fifth amendment right and shut up.

I’ve served jury duty seven times. Of those seven times I’ve been on a jury that actually deliberated four times. Every one of those four experiences scared the poo out of me. I sat in a room were 3 or 4 of the 12 jurors didn’t have a clue what was going on. There were also bullies on the juries that just wanted to deliver a verdict and get home to their beer.

There is no way that I would take a chance that the jury would make the right decision without having a high powered attorney. I suspect that if you are innocent, you stand a better chance with a judge. I certainly am not sure a bench trial is better than a jury trial if you are innocent. Another reason to have a great attorney.

People are the problem, not the system. While the system has its opportunities, people in this Country have a greater opportunity to better themselves. Most just choose to be degenerates and take advantage of the system. I agree you should have a great attorney.

I'm curious as to what the statistics are of those who have shot someone, killed them in self defense and have this insurance that everyone speaks of. I'm going to look this up for my own edification. Should be interesting how many were convicted, acquitted, and how much they really had pay once it was all said and done. This is a good thread!

The advice I have seen is that if you are involved in a shooting, call the police to report a shooting, call a lawyer and then shut your pie hole. Anything you say can and will be used against you. The district attorney is not on your side and not your friend. Seemingly innocent comments made in a time of stress can suddenly become admissions of guilt.

Again, report it and say noting else, call your lawyer and then take your fifth amendment right and shut up.

Yup: but first caller to 911 tends to establish innocence, even if incorrectly.

My teachers say to call 911 immediately saying:

1. I’m Scott Chapin
2. I’m at 123 any street
3. There was threat to my life.
4. The threat has been stopped
5. I need a police vehicle and medical vehicle.
Click

They’ll call back, so repeat above. They’ll try to pump you.

When the police arrive say this person threatened my life. He’s been stopped. Indicate witnesses, if available. Then tell them you’ll answer any questions in 24 hours after talking to your attorney.

Of course, call your insurance after 911.

I admit that I currently do not have coverage...shame on me. I looked online for information and found this seemingly handy chart comparing several different plans.

Thank you so much for posting that, It is going to save me a lot of trouble comparing. USCCA seems to have a better range of coverage at a quick look.

Thank you so much for posting that, It is going to save me a lot of trouble comparing. USCCA seems to have a better range of coverage at a quick look.
Don’t forget to compare Civil Defense coverages. CCWSAFE looks to have better coverage there. I fear a civil action more than the criminal action. Remember that criminal cases are decided beyond a reasonable doubt and requires all 12 jurors agree on your guilt. Civil cases are decided by a preponderance of the evidence and only require 7 to find against you.

Yup: but first caller to 911 tends to establish innocence, even if incorrectly.

My teachers say to call 911 immediately saying:

1. I’m Scott Chapin
2. I’m at 123 any street
Click

They’ll call back, so repeat above. They’ll try to pump you.

When the police arrive say this person threatened my life. He’s been stopped. Indicate witnesses, if available. Then tell them you’ll answer any questions in 24 hours after talking to your attorney.

Of course, call your insurance after 911.

1. I’m Scott Chapin
2. I’m at 123 any street

The above is great advice.. Maybe should be a sticky ?

1. I’m Scott Chapin ... The only thing our instructor added was to give a description of yourself so the authorities know what you look like.

1. I’m Scott Chapin
2. I’m at 123 any street

The above is great advice.. Maybe should be a sticky ?

1. I’m Scott Chapin ... The only thing our instructor added was to give a description of yourself so the authorities know what you look like.

Yes. Mine said to identify yourself. They’ll ask you too and it would be prudent to do so.

Mad doesn’t really contradict conventional wisdom there. As it is OK to identify the victim, why he’s dead, that there are witnesses isn’t exactly clamming up. Pointing out evidence and participants is all in the realm of identifying witnesses.

The points you should not discuss are particulars of your participation. You might say you’ve fired 3 rounds, but they find 8 cases on the ground and so on. You might not recall the facts since your adrenaline is pumping.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Most excellent advice. DAs aren’t there to serve justice, they are there to win cases (which increases their future political chances)

Top Bottom