What's new

Unusual first names

Was visiting with an old timer about neighbors and relatives recently. The more we talked the more I started jotting down first names because they were different. Names you don't often hear today. Here are a few of them... how about you - any names out there you don't often hear?

BARTON

MERL

GROVER

ARLEN

DOYLE

PEARL

HERBIE

I thought it was interesting when parents named their child with the mother's maiden name.
Examples of this from history include Johns Hopkins and Cotton Mather.

Its also neat when a person has the same name repeated twice.
Like Kris Kristofferson and Boutros Boutros Ghali.

I've always wondered how Sojourner Truth got her name.

Last edited:
With the obvious exception of Jacob, Biblical names are from a time gone by. The post above mine strikes me as a rarity.

Another that comes to mind is Irving.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I actually know an Enid- she's not that old, either. Also a Gay (woman); as opposed to a gay woman. :blush:

Related: there are last names of Gooch and Henneypenney living not far away, so assume I'm in Hicksville.

AA

With the obvious exception of Jacob, Biblical names are from a time gone by. The post above mine strikes me as a rarity.

Another that comes to mind is Irving.

I think you may be missing many biblical names that are still popula, especially if you count the short hands of these names.

My grandfather's name was Emmert, never heard of another one.

Before moving to Mallorca, Spain, I worked in hotels in England for 18 years
I worked with people of various nationalities, I've also met and worked with people of various nationalities in the 10 years I've been here
Some of the most unusual names I can remember were..........
Ladies first -
Elouise from England
Beia from England
Esperanza from Spain
Anerie from South Africa
Daria from Poland
Patience from Zimbabwe
Mareike from Germany
Suzuka from Japan
Zylta - a very rare and unusual name even in Germany
Katia from France and Katja from Germany - both pronounced the same, very confusing when they were both in the same room
The Men
Orry from Spain
Iñaki from Spain
Jarek from Poland
Machek from Poland - known as "Magic" to his friends
Dushy, Piraba, Pirapa, Pushpan, Pakeer and Sri - all from Sri Lanka

Last edited:

I think you may be missing many biblical names that are still popula, especially if you count the short hands of these names.

That's what I was thinking. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, Andrew, David, Adam, Noah, etc.

One of my friends ran a tutoring business for low income families. She tutored a couple of boys whose names were Lemonjelo and Orangelo. Pronounced with strong emphasis on the second sylable, so not immediately recongnizable, but it doesn't take too much thought to realize they were named after Jello flavors.

Top Bottom