What's new

Unscented Soap comparison

This week I've been comparing two unscented soaps generously PIFFED to me by @MaineYooper, Bartigan & Stark's Nil and Mystic Waters' Sensitive Skin Unscented.

The razor was a B2 (1956) Flare Tip loaded with a Topaz Platinum blade.
Two brushes were used, a Semogue Taj Mistura and a Simpson KH4 Best Badger. Both brushes were used with both soaps.

I've recently cut back from a 3-pass shave plus some buffing to a 2-pass shave with a little more buffing.

The B&S loaded and lathered a little easier than the MW, but neither was difficult. With the first pass, both soaps performed about the same. The performance differences came on the second pass, with the MW being the winner by a narrow margin. With either soap I got a DFS to BBS shave depending on the region. The differences were in the way the shave felt, and in the residual slickness.

My cheeks were BBS afte the first pass. My neck is more stubborn - if I were to let it grow, it would look like a satellite photo of the Caribbean during hurricane season so I usually can only get to the DFS/BBS border on about 1/2 of my neck.

Comparing the two shaves, the MW felt a little smoother during the shave, and had slightly better slickness afterward. Those were all comfort comparisons. The end result was the same for both, a very solid shave with no nicks, weepers or post-shave irritation.

This week I've been comparing two unscented soaps generously PIFFED to me by @MaineYooper, Bartigan & Stark's Nil and Mystic Waters' Sensitive Skin Unscented.

The razor was a B2 (1956) Flare Tip loaded with a Topaz Platinum blade.
Two brushes were used, a Semogue Taj Mistura and a Simpson KH4 Best Badger. Both brushes were used with both soaps.

I've recently cut back from a 3-pass shave plus some buffing to a 2-pass shave with a little more buffing.

The B&S loaded and lathered a little easier than the MW, but neither was difficult. With the first pass, both soaps performed about the same. The performance differences came on the second pass, with the MW being the winner by a narrow margin. With either soap I got a DFS to BBS shave depending on the region. The differences were in the way the shave felt, and in the residual slickness.

My cheeks were BBS afte the first pass. My neck is more stubborn - if I were to let it grow, it would look like a satellite photo of the Caribbean during hurricane season so I usually can only get to the DFS/BBS border on about 1/2 of my neck.

Comparing the two shaves, the MW felt a little smoother during the shave, and had slightly better slickness afterward. Those were all comfort comparisons. The end result was the same for both, a very solid shave with no nicks, weepers or post-shave irritation.
I am in agreement with you, I find MWS to have the best post-shave feel!

Hey, I'm not going to tell you how to shave, or what to shave with. If it works for you, great. You do you.

It smells like plain soap to me. Just soap no sandalwood, lime, coconut, amber, sage, or anything else. Am I missing something?

We like to joke around about Arko is all, so things get exaggerated for fun. I think the scent is like double-strength Ivory soap. Lots of artificial citronella & lemon. Some people get mosquito candles, janitor closets, urinal pucks, you name it.

As someone who lives a low scent life. I find I am more attuned to smells than a lot of people. I think maybe those who use many and heavily scented items in their lives, become rather "nose blind" to the subtleties of scent. It is like a smoker who cannot taste food well.
I do not use scented soaps, detergents, cleaners, deodorant (or any deodorant), dryer sheets, sprays, lotions, etc... When walking through a store I find other peoples perfumes, body sprays, even laundry detergent and dryer sheets are like a punch in the nose.
While I have not tried Arko. I do find what most people call "lightly scented" to be blaringly loud with smell.
I do not begrudge anyone their scents. I wonder if they are missing out on nuances of their environment due to the no(i)se pollution of our overly fragranced society.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I understand the difference in noses, and you have to watch out for it in soap review scent comments.

Tabac is OK for me, as far as the scent goes, but I just cannot stand the scent strength. I use it once a year and the scent lingers in the house for days. You could scent a 55-gallon drum of soap with one puck of Tanac.

Top Bottom