What's new

Unscented or lightly scented aftershave like aqua velva

New to the forum, so forgive me if this has been covered. I haven't used aftershave in a long time, but thought I would try some aqua velva after reading posts here. I loved the effect and the scent, but unfortunately my wife has a very low tolerance for "perfumes." No dryer sheets in our house! Anyway, I was wondering what a good alternative would be without going towards a cream or balm. Do you think it would work to use something unscented, like witch hazel, and add a little aqua velva or clubman for a very light hint of a scent? I may have to go scentless altogether, so what would be a good option that adds some of the moisturizing of glycerin, for example?

You might want to give Dominica Bay Rum a try. It is an alcohol based AS with just the bay tree leaf oil. The fragrance is light and doesn't last long, and definitely not a perfume type scent.

That's the only thing I can recommend, for lack of experience. When I gave Dominica a try I quit looking.

Welcome to B&B

Give 4711 a shot. It is one of the least scented "real" aftershaves I have come across.

If that is still too much you may be "rolling your own" scent free after shave from water, alcohol, witch hazel, aloe, and glycerine (no scent)

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

proxy.php

Do you think it would work to use something unscented, like witch hazel, and add a little aqua velva or clubman for a very light hint of a scent??
I do just that. I mix my aqua velva ice sport with thayers unscented to tone down the scent a little. Works great.

WiskyT, I like this idea, but I wonder if I would lose the moisturizing function. Perhaps adding some more glycerin would do it. I'm thinking though that I really have to try the 200 year old 4711, even if my wife thinks it is too strong. There's something about that old formula that sounds very cool.

I've not tried it, but I've heard of Masters Blue being called a lighter version of Aqua Velva. May be worth a shot.

Thanks lowjax. I'm not necessarily committed to the av scent per se. Just something manly and timeless--read old fashioned. Also liked the idea of a little glycerin, not knowing I could add my own. Got some good ideas to start here. So thanks. I'll check in after I try the 4711.

Lucido is an unscented aftershave from Japan that works pretty well. It has menthol and glycerine and is low on alcohol sting.

Lucido is an unscented aftershave from Japan that works pretty well. It has menthol and glycerine and is low on alcohol sting.

I was also going to recommend this as an unscented option. It also works to use a base, so you can add any cologne you want to it, having total control over the strength of the scent.

Is your wife sensitive to scents in general, or to synthetic fragrances? If it's the latter, you could look at some of the artisan soap makers, many of whom also make AS, and choose something that is scented with Essential Oils, or EOs only. Most of them also offer unscented varieties. Personally, I'm a fan of The Shave Den's aftershave milk, though their lead time is pretty long these days.

Is your wife sensitive to scents in general, or to synthetic fragrances? If it's the latter, you could look at some of the artisan soap makers, many of whom also make AS, and choose something that is scented with Essential Oils, or EOs only. Most of them also offer unscented varieties. Personally, I'm a fan of The Shave Den's aftershave milk, though their lead time is pretty long these days.

That's a good idea. I just got my first stash from Italianbarber, which included a Cella soap. She took a whiff and said that's nice. I said, "it's almond." and she said, "see--natural, not that artificial stuff." So, I think I have my answer. I'll take a look at the Shave Den. Also, thanks for the Lucido recommendation. By the way, I had my first shave with my new safety razor yesterday. It went well! I had a couple of spots that weren't as close as I'd like, but I'm sure it will get better. And I didn't cut myself! Frankly, I don't understand how it happened that few people use these and that the only thing you can buy in the drugstore are expensive cartridges or toy-like disposables. Glad to have joined the enlightened souls on this forum!

Speick is a very natural AS. The scent only stays for a short time. I also like GFT Skin Food Lime. The scent is only short lived, but it has a rather long ingredient list of not so natural substances. RazoRock Aftershave Wax unscented has also natural ingredients and the scent is very light and natural.

For really unscented AS I can only agree with the previous posters about Lucido and Thayer's unscented Witch Hazel. If there is a scent my nose is not able to pick it up.

Another one to check out is HBG Sandalwood. You get a nice woodsy blast on initial contact but it dries down very mild. It has natural ingredients and is very reasonably priced. They have an unscented version as well.

In addition to face-friendly/natural ingredients, the Aubrey Organics line of aftershaves all possess very fleeting scents. I'm particularly into North Woods & Spice Island (their spin on Bay Rum). Awesome affordable aftershaves, generally available at most natural foods supermarkets...

I use Skin Bracer precisely because it has a weak, sort of unspecified barber shop scent. Very low amount in terms of the intensity.

I don't like A/S's that have a lingering scent either. So......I use:

Speick splash
Proraso green
Nivea Energy (I add menthol)
Captain's Choice Lime

All leave my face feeling good and don't have a lingering scent. Not sure if they contain glycerin or not.

Top Bottom